Aussie Pinball Forums > Restorations

T2 diamond coat/mylar

<< < (4/4)

robm:
Marty,

I have seen them, but can't really justify $120 or so by the time it gets over from the states (i can't find any local distributors).

I have an old Flash that i was going to experiment on, and then move to the JP.

Today in autobarn when i was getting the carnuba wax i saw a polishing attachment for a drill that was a 3-4" sphere made of red bits of foam - apparently they're meant to be really good but at $66 they would want to be!

I know almost nothing about polishing/waxing/buffing and someone feel free to correct me, but is it the rotational speed of the buffing pad that helps the end result a lot?  If so, a lot of these products could be made at home for next to nothing by going to Clark Rubber or a foam shop and buying some off cuts and cutting them to attach to a disc that is on the end of a high speed drill..... The reason i say this is i saw on the treasure cove product page that you need a high speed drill to get the best shine.

Strangeways:

I dunno about power tools on a playfield. This has been mentioned before. I just can't bring myself to do it.

When you use your hands, you can "feel" the playfield and what's going on underneath.

Mylar removal is a "case by case" decision. I've sweated over a few and even had a few coldies beforehand to muster the courage !

ajlaird:

--- Quote from: Strangeways on February 11, 2009, 11:40:20 PM ---
I dunno about power tools on a playfield. This has been mentioned before. I just can't bring myself to do it.

When you use your hands, you can "feel" the playfield and what's going on underneath.

Mylar removal is a "case by case" decision. I've sweated over a few and even had a few coldies beforehand to muster the courage !

--- End quote ---

I KNEW someone would make the power tools comment! It does just seem risky, doesn't it.

pinball god:

--- Quote from: MartyJ on February 11, 2009, 10:41:55 PM ---I guess when it comes to mylar removal, you need to make a decision of whether its cosmetic vs playability and do a risk assessment.

For me, with my T2 it was affecting game play and being diamond coated there is a level of protection from lifting paint / decals.  PinballGod, hopefully yours was put down by a keen operator to redue wear.  The first lot I took off, I did very carefully with a hair dryer (heat gun bought since).  A LOT of glue residue was left, but I did it very carefully and slowly.

The second lot of mylar (which I installed) - newer vinyl, came off extremely easy and left virtually no glue (was a lot thinner than previous stuff).

My Police Force - overall the mylar is not too bad, although some minor bubbles over inserts.  I've read about using a syringe to inject clear into it, then flatten.  If I can test this method on a dead playfield with mylar I'll give it a shot.  I've read too many horror stories about mylar removal on late 80's Williams machines (ie F14, Police Force, Taxi etc).  Also, I don't believe a decal set is available either. 

I can point you in the right direction for insert decals.  I've had bad ones and good ones (latest certainly the best I've had).

--- End quote ---

thanks Marty may take you up on the offer

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version