Author Topic: Stern Announces - Game Of Thrones  (Read 26401 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Stern Announces - Game Of Thrones
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2015, 10:59:06 PM »
What you lose in accuracy Pinsanity, you make up for it with wit at least.
Certainly entertaining although mostly not factual.
I enjoy all the Star Trek tie ins. That was clever.
Sometimes I get confused if you are constantly describing yourself in your posts or the other member. Lol

Also, only the people who actually site pinball machines really know what returns the Sterns bring in.
Stating they don't make profits is not factual.

Also, most of us know that if you buy a BNIB Stern for 8 grand, selling it a week later or a year later or 5 years later if the machine is in good condition will bring you 5 plus grand second hand cause most machines hold a pretty good resale value if they appear like new. So if the machine earns 3 grand over a 2 year period the person siting has broken even. Anything over that is profit.

Even taking into consideration profit sharing from sited income, people siting machines are not going to buy Stern title after Stern title and site them unless they can make a profit.
There are operators who have been operating pinballs for many many years. It is hard to believe they keep investing big dollars into machinery that is not making them a profitable return.

The comment about a John Borg designed Stern is spot on.
He is the best of the best and has been in my opinion for a very very longtime.

I just think Gane of Thrones maybe got rushed a little to kill JJP Hobbitt sales.
I don't think SRitchie has lost his magic.
GOT is certainly a different way of doing things.
Maybe some pinball collectors will like and warm to very different versus traditional and safely predictable.

It's early days for GOT. Will be interesting to see how this one pans out.
Even the Stern die hard fans in some of us can't like every title in a row.
This is the first one in a long time I haven't liked straight away.

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2015, 11:58:47 PM »
Its a tough call to release a title like KISS which quite rightly has been very well received and then follow up with a game that looks like its had the guts ripped out of it.
Seems to me that Stern haven't found that balance yet that gives the appearance of bang for buck... a little less on Kiss and a little more on GOT would have the punters knowing just what you can expect from a Stern release.
Buyers would like to see a game like KISS or Metallica released each time.. and quite rightly so. Stern would like to release a bare bones game for top dollar every time.. and that's business.
All in all... the games pretty much sell themselves. Get the package wrong and its an RS or BBH every time

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2015, 12:32:52 AM »
Most ops are left with little choice n have to upgrade to the latest machine regardless of the small amount n takings they make from an actual sited machine.

This is cause most Sterns tend to revolve around a flavour of the month TV show or whatever is about to be released as a movie n the following 6 months and as such will tend to be forgotten about after the hype train has left the station. Nyone for Sopranos?

N that case the machine will make next to nothing n site due to lack of recognition so the ops best bet after writing the machine off the depeciation schedule is to flip it for a fraction of what they paid for it n put that towards the next fly by night machine from Stern. At least that way a current machine might make a bit of coin n the initial days of siting from piggybacking off secondary hype alone after which it drops off to virtually nothing.

It's a life cycle that Stern has mastered due to producing largely forgettable and generally mediocre titles based on flash n the pan themes.

Ops n general mostly pull in less than $50 per week per machine. Split that with the site owner, add n labour maintenance costs n upkeep (most don't bother given the small returns) and it would take years for even a Stern Pro machine to pay for itself n that fact alone.

That's why they get written down through depreciation n sold off. Or they are kept virtually abandoned onsite n basically left to fall apart from lack of maintenance - which in Stern's case won't take all that long.

If the machines actually made profits on their own merits they wouldn't be sold off for second hand to partially recoup the purchase loss n the first place.

Retropin is spot n - these machines should be selling themselves as they cn get a free ride on the hype train from companies who have budgets that far outstrip Sterns, yet the hit/miss ratio just keeps getting wider and not for the better.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 01:30:09 AM by pinsanity »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2015, 04:20:53 AM »
Fair points.
Pinball machines are now used to attract people to a business with a bar or cafe or food etc.
by themselves they wouldn't be hugely profitable unless you had a very lucky site and organised a big weekly comp with a $20 buy in with fifty people a week with some of the $1,000 income going to trophies etc etc.
that's where social media will make siting pins profitable.

Don't be so hard on Stern. They are working their asses off and have kept pinball alive not to mention are investing big with new factories and so on.
The day I see some members finally declare they bought a BNIB Stern and they are stoked, it will make my day.
Even Nino has been converted to the good side of the Force. Lol

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2015, 05:15:48 PM »
Social media is full of illiterate morons who spend their days bitching about their own failures as husbands n fathers to others n the same boat. I wouldn't want to ncourage those personality types to nvolve themselves nto the competitive pinball world as they would most likely infect the place with their retarded outlook n life.

Speaking of which, ny ndividual who makes demands that Stern pull all the artwork n start again are also ngaging in retarded cowardly behaviour n my mind. I would like to see these bloated turd ndividuals walk nto Stern's business n make these types of demands n have the staff there give the bloated turd a beating to within n inch of their life or at least get their head caved in.

I would happily njoy watching such n event n cheer it on as the bloated turd got the crap kicked out of them for their retarded cowardly behaviour artwork demands on Stern. I might even bring along my "Gloch" n let off a few rounds to celebrate while it happens.

I know a lot about pinball n I know even more about being self-effacing so I cn say this with confidence.

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2015, 07:23:25 PM »
Social media is full of illiterate morons who spend their days bitching about their own failures as husbands n fathers to others n the same boat. I wouldn't want to ncourage those personality types to nvolve themselves nto the competitive pinball world as they would most likely infect the place with their retarded outlook n life.

Speaking of which, ny ndividual who makes demands that Stern pull all the artwork n start again are also ngaging in retarded cowardly behaviour n my mind. I would like to see these bloated turd ndividuals walk nto Stern's business n make these types of demands n have the staff there give the bloated turd a beating to within n inch of their life or at least get their head caved in.

I would happily njoy watching such n event n cheer it on as the bloated turd got the crap kicked out of them for their retarded cowardly behaviour artwork demands on Stern. I might even bring along my "Gloch" n let off a few rounds to celebrate while it happens.

I know a lot about pinball n I know even more about being self-effacing so I cn say this with confidence.
am I able to buy a vowel?  @.@
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2015, 07:29:14 PM »
am I able to buy a vowel?  @.@

There's a shortage of vowels, but plenty of "n"s for no apparent reason etc etc etc.  :lol
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 08:29:52 PM by pinsanity »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2015, 09:51:37 PM »

Was that post supposed to impress anyone.
What a nasty little man you are.
Stick to pinball versus talking shit repeatedly.
How old are you ? 14 ? Pffftttt.

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2015, 10:24:36 AM »

Fark this had me laughing hard!
Coffee all over the keyboard.
 ^^^
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2015, 11:41:06 AM »

OK guys, enough please.  ^.^
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Stern Announces - Game Of Thrones
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2015, 10:47:41 AM »
Pros starting to look alot better with more detailed and close up pics :) apparently the dragons wings flap! Nice. Looks to be some nice shots and great flow typical of Steve Richie

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2015, 05:00:37 PM »
Thanks for the pics G1. Does look a tad better. It still seems to have a long / open (boring?) foreground - long shots before you hit anything. Probably means steep ramps - will certainly be interesting.
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2015, 05:43:46 PM »
Thanks for the pics G1. Does look a tad better. It still seems to have a long / open (boring?) foreground - long shots before you hit anything. Probably means steep ramps - will certainly be interesting.

Yeah agree there filling up the gaps lol no where near the premium/LE but looking abit more promising.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts: