Author Topic: Swapping caps  (Read 265 times)

Offline 48

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Swapping caps
« on: September 05, 2010, 03:28:25 PM »
Anyone here flip the capacitor type when repairing boards?
Mainly talking about less than say 10 uf.
Just that it can be hard to find certain caps these days esp. axial type caps.
I have swapped a couple of axials for ceramic caps (tag caps I think they call em and disc caps)
But am not sure if I want to change a heap and then find I've dug myself a bigger hole.
Anyone with a bit of experience help me out?
Thanks
Lets go Brandon!

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Swapping caps
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 05:48:40 PM »
I've used radial caps instead of axial, and they seem to be fine as long as they are the same rating or better.

Offline 48

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 05:53:09 PM »
Thanks for that Boots, I couldn't see a reason why not but thought I would ask, I knew someone would have done it.
Cheers
Lets go Brandon!

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 06:04:50 PM »
If you are referring to swapping an axil for a radial cap,or vice versa no probs
but never swap a electolytic for a ceramic capacitor
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline 48

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 06:15:35 PM »
No wasn't planning on that!!!
I never seem to ask my questions correctly on forums, or at least never put enough pertinent information in.
I think of something and run with it and think everyone knows what I'm on about.
My missus has been putting up with it for 30 years!!!!
Lets go Brandon!

Offline Douggie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 07:25:37 PM »

Other than neatness no diff between radial and axial electro's.  The best way to test electro's is with an ESR meter, Ive been using this one "http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/esrmeter.htm" for many years repairing assorted comms gear with excellent results.
Normally (but not always) the smaller physical size caps are the first to go, Ive hardly even seen ceramics fail but another type of cap (tantalum) can be very troublesome, Im not sure how prevelant they are in pinballs (my SF2 has them on most boards) but when I was repairing consumer electronics for a living tantalums were probably the most unreliable component of all, mostly they internally short and hold power rails down, blow fuses etc. They look like small expoxy dipped blobs and come in various colours.

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 10:10:19 PM »
Lots of (? most) common capacitors have a tolerance of 10%-20% anyway so small changes in capacitance rating (Uf) are no problem providing that the voltage rating is same as, or greater than the original.

Also remeber that electrolytics are polarized and must be inserted the right way around.