Author Topic: Wiring closet suggestions  (Read 659 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Wiring closet suggestions
« on: December 01, 2014, 10:08:53 PM »
Gents,

Recently after some reno's at home I've freed up the 4th bedroom from a SOHO back to a spare bedroom.

I had a sparky come in and install a new GPO, move data and cable into the wardrobe.  I used to have a small table next to my desk full of a printer, router(s) and other bit n pieces.

Now, the computer desk is moved to another area and is just the desk, 3 screens with the tower next to it.

All other gear is down the other end of the house, hidden away in the wardrobe.

I picked up some shop clothing racks (nice and vented and very strong) as I didn't really see any point in installing a data cabinet within the wardrobe.  None of my gear is rack mounted either.

In the wardrobe now is the cable modem, switch, Firewall/IPS, NAS, UPS and network printer.  I can monitor temps via the NAS and today on a hot day, system temp was around the 45deg mark which isn't too bad.

I've installed vents on the door (still to be stained) and also installed a passive ceiling vent (ducted to a small whirlybird).

Ambient temp feels pretty good, but I'm looking to maybe install a media server in there which will also be on 24/7, possibly bringing up the heat.

There is a window opposite is secured open (bout 2 inches) and generally feeds a nice breeze directly into the guts of the wardrobe door.

Now I know quite a few people have some serious AV setup's these days at home and cooling plays an important part.

I would be interested in any ideas as to what could improve the setup... I've had a look online and seen some of the 1RU (4 or 6) way fan systems, but for $100.00 I don't really trust it to be on 24/7.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
Re: Wiring closet suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 10:28:57 PM »
Wish I knew what you were actually talking about but knowing your gear I am sure it is damn good.
Addicted to pins.

Offline rustalan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 01:25:13 AM »
try adding a pair of 5 or 6" pc fans to draw air in at the bottom of the door. your passive vent should cope with the air intake. You could power these with an old pc power supply.

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 07:42:27 AM »
Maybe you need one of these systems.
http://www.coolcomponents.com/Rooms-Closets_c_9.html
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re:
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 08:23:29 PM »
Thx for the suggestions.  It seems overseas the wiring closet for computer or av gear is much more common and hence more products being available.