Author Topic: AC/DC pinball  (Read 15423 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: AC/DC pinball
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2012, 08:55:41 PM »

I've spent some time looking at various pictures of the game, and I think the playfield design and tie in with the band is great. The similarities between T2 and this game look to be more than a coincidence. T2 is a great player, and so will this pinball. I would have preferred drop targets instead of spot targets. But that's only s minor change - I think it is great as it is - and well done to the design team.

The art team have failed this machine. I cannot look past the "Angus" in the center of the playfield. A couple of AC / DC fans I know commented that they agreed with me - it looks like it was drawn by a child - really poorly ! In fact, one made the comment that interested me - "There is no way the band would authorize such rubbish".

Looking at other band pinballs - KISS, Dolly Parton, Rolling Stones (Bally, not the Stern), Nugent and Gunners - the artwork is SO much better. So in 30 years, Stern can't even equal Bally's art packages of the 70's ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2012, 09:06:06 PM »
I still think this will be a good player but..............
I guess it begs one question to be answered and that is will the acdc fans be able to get past this rushed and very lame artwork package in order to part with their hard earned..the answer I keep getting in my circles is NO.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2012, 09:11:43 PM »
Looking at other band pinballs - KISS, Dolly Parton, Rolling Stones (Bally, not the Stern), Nugent and Gunners - the artwork is SO much better. So in 30 years, Stern can't even equal Bally's art packages of the 70's ?

Maybe they have lost the art of freehand design and relying on computers too much....... Cabinet looks alright apart from the lighting bolts on the front coin door panel.

Like Cavey said they should stop with all the different versions - home, premium, pro, LE this, LE that, LE combo and just have a proper fully designed game and then a LE with a bit more bling at a price that you could not build it yourself, like the Tron lit ramps etc and maybe with laser engraved band members signatures on a plate with a number for example.

Though too stern's credit they know how to pump out a machine in a short time, I am hoping JJP can finish their WOZ soon and secretly have the next title released teasing us.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2012, 09:12:30 PM »
I reckon it will be a good pub player though.......
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2012, 09:18:20 PM »

Maybe they have lost the art of freehand design and relying on computers too much....... Cabinet looks alright apart from the lighting bolts on the front coin door panel.

Like Cavey said they should stop with all the different versions - home, premium, pro, LE this, LE that, LE combo and just have a proper fully designed game and then a LE with a bit more bling at a price that you could not build it yourself, like the Tron lit ramps etc and maybe with laser engraved band members signatures on a plate with a number for example.

Though too stern's credit they know how to pump out a machine in a short time, I am hoping JJP can finish their WOZ soon and secretly have the next title released teasing us.

I'm with you mate as long a JJP next pin is a lot  less gay theme than woz ...otherwise they are bantha fodder to me.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2012, 09:20:14 PM »
I still think this will be a good player but..............
I guess it begs one question to be answered and that is will the acdc fans be able to get past this rushed and very lame artwork package in order to part with their hard earned..the answer I keep getting in my circles is NO.

Absolutely. I HOPE the game does VERY WELL for Stern and it's distributors.

I think it will do well, regardless of the artwork. I guess there are so many timeless photos of the band that could have been used. Even a dark drawing of the timeless "Back in Black" album cover would have been better. I will have to keep a straight face and try not to look at that artwork while enjoying a game.

I agree with comments that Stern should only build one version of each title.

Since I'm not an AC/DC fan, I'd like to hear what DIEHARD fans think of the artwork ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2012, 09:32:53 PM »
.... cabinet should be in faux leather with embossed AC/DC logo

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2012, 09:44:02 PM »
well has anyone commited to buy this?.LE orders ends tonight.contact bruce!! ^^^
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline RatBag

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2012, 10:07:58 PM »

I've spent some time looking at various pictures of the game, and I think the playfield design and tie in with the band is great. The similarities between T2 and this game look to be more than a coincidence. T2 is a great player, and so will this pinball. I would have preferred drop targets instead of spot targets. But that's only s minor change - I think it is great as it is - and well done to the design team.

The art team have failed this machine. I cannot look past the "Angus" in the center of the playfield. A couple of AC / DC fans I know commented that they agreed with me - it looks like it was drawn by a child - really poorly ! In fact, one made the comment that interested me - "There is no way the band would authorize such rubbish".

I would have to say the AC/DC fans you have been talking to obviously dont know what there talking about ,the Angus head was drawn  back in 1979 under the art direction of Bob Defrin and is on the cover of the Highway to Hell album which I think is pretty fitting for the pinball as this was Bon Scotts last recorded album with the band
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 10:12:18 PM by RatBag »

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2012, 10:22:09 PM »
I'm a big AC/DC fan and the only version i could afford to buy would be the Pro, but the cabinet artwork is a huge let down for me. The large Angus
on the playfield is also over kill. I'm not impressed at this stage, but i'm still very keen to play one. I hope the LE versions are a big improvement for the sake of this theme.

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2012, 10:32:16 PM »

I would have to say the AC/DC fans you have been talking to obviously dont know what there talking about ,the Angus head was drawn  back in 1979 under the art direction of Bob Defrin and is on the cover of the Highway to Hell album which I think is pretty fitting for the pinball as this was Bon Scotts last recorded album with the band

well there you go, good info. i dig the machine i recon it looks good, i wish they didnt border the head however and blended it in but still i like the machine, i reco nthe more beat up and used the machine gets the better it will look, thats my opinion on this machine and my mates agree, who dont own pinballs but do play them at my house and at the pub or when ever they see one. this aint a house machine this looks like a pin made to be sited. thats good imo

Offline studley67

• Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2012, 10:55:58 PM »
my le will be huo ^&^

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2012, 11:04:07 PM »

I would have to say the AC/DC fans you have been talking to obviously dont know what there talking about ,the Angus head was drawn  back in 1979 under the art direction of Bob Defrin and is on the cover of the Highway to Hell album which I think is pretty fitting for the pinball as this was Bon Scotts last recorded album with the band

well there you go, good info. i dig the machine i recon it looks good, i wish they didnt border the head however and blended it in but still i like the machine, i reco nthe more beat up and used the machine gets the better it will look, thats my opinion on this machine and my mates agree, who dont own pinballs but do play them at my house and at the pub or when ever they see one. this aint a house machine this looks like a pin made to be sited. thats good imo

the more beat up the better it will look...wtf..unless you just want to see wood instead of the crappy artwork..maybe that would be better....lol...I will buy one and trash it and sell it to you I reckon...too funny.

Offline studley67

• Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2012, 11:13:41 PM »
well has anyone commited to buy this?.LE orders ends tonight.contact bruce!! ^^^

stil time left.i think $#$.when is morning in us?

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2012, 11:36:00 PM »

the more beat up the better it will look...wtf..unless you just want to see wood instead of the crappy artwork..maybe that would be better....lol...I will buy one and trash it and sell it to you I reckon...too funny.

its pub machine, and where not talking about woz here where its gay and girly, this is after all an acdc machine. and if anything they didnt make the machine look rough enough. you dont see too many acdc fans hanging out in metro bars with designer decore lol, the machine should come out of stern smelling like beer. lol