Author Topic: Bally coin door  (Read 126 times)

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Bally coin door
« on: February 10, 2013, 05:18:58 PM »
Hi guys,

Sorry everyones probably going to get sick of me asking questions about finishes and issues on My Flash Gordon before I finish this machine but I just want to keep it as faithful to the original finishes as possible.
 My coin door isn't to bad and should come up very nice with the right amount of elbow grease. What was the original finish on these doors was it brushed of polished? Mine appears to just be polished. Also the coin door hinge, were these zinc finished or something else? Thanks.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Bally coin door
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 05:25:59 PM »
The stainless was brushed.   Not sure about the hinge I hit mine with the wire brush on a bench grinder then give a licht coat of clear to stop it rusting

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 06:06:48 PM »
The stainless was brushed.   Not sure about the hinge I hit mine with the wire brush on a bench grinder then give a licht coat of clear to stop it rusting

+1

Grab some wet / dry 180 grit sandpaper and windex. Sweeping and straight strokes up and down. I dismantle the door so I can get the grain straight. The results are on the Eight Ball thread.

ALL Bally doors were brushed, not polished.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 06:21:25 PM »
Thanks guys,

I've pulled the door apart as the entire front door assembly behind the door has been pretty much been left untouched so it'll all get a good clean. I have to say though, holely crap there's a lot of components which just fall right off there once you start undoing a few screws!  @.@ I've taken heaps of photos as I've gone also so hopefully it all goes back alright.