Author Topic: Avengers NIB or Spiderman  (Read 2086 times)

Offline Ant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
Avengers NIB or Spiderman
« on: February 24, 2013, 02:49:51 PM »
Hey Guys. Need your advice and expertise.
I don't know what to do !@#. I wanted to get a NIB Avengers but I have a chance to get a Spiderman thats in good condition.
I haven't been able to play either game yet and it would be a buy before I play purchase. I like the idea of a NIB as you are the first person to play it and the fact of just owning a brand new pinball.

Spiderman hmmmm  it doesn't come up for sale very often and the reviews are great. Wife is no help, she said I could have either one @.@ (and no I don't have enough money to buy both  !!!).

Please Help me.....Thanks

Anthony
Looking for The Simpsons Pinball Party and Dungeons and Dragons.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Avengers NIB or Spiderman
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 03:07:28 PM »
I have played both machines, and have had dozens n dozens of games on both titles, and in my opinion, Avengers leaves Spiderman for dead 10 times over.
Spiderman is a nice looking game, but Avengers is better looking.
Spiderman is a reasonable player, but Avengers is a better player because it has more agles and has more depth.
The toys on Avengers are better, and the general illumination and insert lighting on Avengers is better than spiderman.

Having a brand new in box experience also leaves spiderman behind. For only a small amount of extra money, Avengers is the smarter buy.
Spiderman is one of Sterns better players, made during the cost cutting days, but compared to Avengers, it is very basic.

Goodluck with your purchase.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 03:46:52 PM »
This might help u decide, then look for the Spiderman one they did years ago on the same site

http://www.pinballnews.com/games/avengers/index5.html

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Ant

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 04:33:32 PM »
Thanks caveoftreasures.
I did have a look at them before and thats what made it harder to choose in some ways.
Looking for The Simpsons Pinball Party and Dungeons and Dragons.

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 04:43:14 PM »
Everyone likes different games, that is the problem. Very risky to buy a game without playing it first.

I played a LE Avengers recently, maye half a dozen games and I couldn't get into it. Difficult to judge a game though after only that many plays.

Spiderman is a great Ritchie/Lyman game. You don't see many of these for sale, which says a lot imo.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 04:48:36 PM »

Spiderman is a great Ritchie/Lyman game. You don't see many of these for sale, which says a lot imo.

+1. SM seems to have earned its stripes, be hard to pass over at the right price. As fun as the NIB experience is, it won't make up for anything in the long run if the game isn't to your taste.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Replay

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 04:49:31 PM »
tough one, if I had to chose between SM and Avevngers (pro), I thinks i would go the SM

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 06:42:35 PM »
Everyone likes different games, that is the problem. Very risky to buy a game without playing it first.

I played a LE Avengers recently, maye half a dozen games and I couldn't get into it. Difficult to judge a game though after only that many plays.

I have not played Avengers, but I have played Spiderman. Here is the dilemma - You can't play both games unless you find a collector who has one (or both). I would play both games and make a decision based on that. This is where Stern are shooting themselves in the foot. If you are in NSW - then a quick trip to AMD will solve your problem.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 06:57:33 PM »
I'd say Spiderman but you never know what game updates may be around the corner with Avengers.  We have already seen an Avengers LE sell after the guy owning it for 2 weeks...it sold on eBay for $6400.  That says a fair bit to me.
Addicted to pins.

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 06:58:30 PM »
Spiderman is one of the last good (and full featured) pins from Stern before they went into 3 years of cost cutting mode.

I would be going the Spiderman on the basis it more than likely won't be run again, and it will hold its value in the medium term.

5-6 tops for the SM, by the way.

8950 for the blue Avengers LE which apparently drops to 6400 two weeks after you take it out of the box.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 07:03:52 PM »
Spiderman is one of the last good (and full featured) pins from Stern before they went into 3 years of cost cutting mode.

I would be going the Spiderman on the basis it more than likely won't be run again, and it will hold its value in the medium term.

8950 for the blue Avengers LE which apparently drops to 6400 two weeks after you take it out of the box.

Says a lot doesnt it.... People WANT Spiderman ... not so AVENGERS LE. Im not sure that a standard AVENGERS would suffer quite a price drop though.. pretty sure they would hold their value better. The price on the LE i feel is more a reflection of the extra $2K or so not being worth it

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 07:18:23 PM »
Its worth re-mentioning, that one Avengers LE machine sale, being sold under unusual circumstances doesnt mean all Avengers LE machines are worth $6400 at all, compared to the standard $8950 purchase price.  Relist the same machine over several different weeks on Ebay and get several different results, both low and high.

Just like if someone sold one for 12 grand, doesnt mean its worth 12 grand.

Best advice the guys have given is to play both machines.

Offline RottyGuy

• Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 07:22:34 PM »

The seller ran the risk of an auction and got burnt. Good on him for being one of the few sellers on ebay who would've let this auction run to the end.
I don't think you will see too many Avengers LE sell for a similar price.

As for the SM vs Avengers, i think i'd take the SM, but they are way over priced.  

Offline RottyGuy

• Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 07:25:18 PM »
Its worth re-mentioning, that one Avengers LE machine sale, being sold under unusual circumstances doesnt mean all Avengers LE machines are worth $6400 at all, compared to the standard $8950 purchase price.  Relist the same machine over several different weeks on Ebay and get several different results, both low and high.

It's like the buyers who pay $12K to $15k for a Tron LE. What drugs are they on to pay that ?

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 07:26:03 PM »

Ebay auction unusual circumstances??..I think not.
I do hear what you are saying though in that it could be a one off... but would the same happen if a TRON LE were to go to auction?