Author Topic: Thoughts on Leg protectors??  (Read 2399 times)

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Re: Thoughts on Leg protectors??
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 07:02:13 PM »
i only use the felt ones.
the way i look at it if you use the solid ones you have the leg pressing on a solid spacer which presses on the decals. all you are doing is making the point where edge of the legs press on the cabinet.

but with the felt ones you have something that absorbs the pressure from the edge of the legs and distributes it evenly.

just like when you fasten glass doors onto a cabinet, you use a nylon or rubber washer under the screw head or nut where it comes in contact with the glass not a solid washer.

that's my opinion any way.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 07:07:20 PM »
Pete,

I generally use RTBB's Pincab protectors on games with some wear around the legs already.

For games of mine (or customer's) which I've redecalled etc I use the felt ones.

+1

I use them on any machine that has a VERY GOOD set of decals. I'll also use them on any repainted game or re decalled game.

So Nino you use felt?

Peter

RTBB Cab protectors - the plastic ones for DMD. I use felt only on repainted EMs and repainted SS games.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline punter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • illawarra
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 07:13:12 PM »
I have been thinking about the pincab ones as well Peter and i was going to put up a post to get the members thoughts but you beat me to it.I thought the ones on Swinks Iron Man look great and i was also going to go with that colour effect.Can we do what Brett suggested with the felt underneath or will it make the pincab type sit off the cab a bit much,bloody hell these were made for pins so you would think they must have been tested before being put on the market  ^&^.

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 07:36:45 PM »
i used felt ones on my world cup soccer 94 machine, as the legs were making the cab decals bubble up around the legs, this solved the problem on the old stickers. they arent very pretty but they do the job, and they do look better than legs embeded in the cab

Offline roundball

• Forum Posts:
  • BNE - The only place to be.
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 08:34:42 PM »
Hate to be pedantic but correct use of English, they should be called cabinet protectors as they are protecting the cabinet not the legs?

I use felt cabinet protectors by the way

Shin pads perhaps.?  &&

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2012, 08:43:28 PM »
just a tip for the felt protectors. when i use them on a black cabinet before fitting them i give the side that you can see a couple of light coats of flat black spray paint so the match the cabinet.

I haven't tried this with any other colours yet but i will give it a go when i have to put them on a different coloured cab and let you know how it goes
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline solar value

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2012, 09:08:14 PM »
Where are you guys getting the felt ones?

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2012, 11:18:46 PM »
Where are you guys getting the felt ones?

I've always got mine with the machine or from here: http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/index.php?crn=258&rn=563&action=show_detail

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2012, 11:36:36 PM »
OR marine carpet from bunnings
I had to make them slightly larger to cover the decal damage on my pool sharks.
pinballaustralia.com

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2012, 04:24:03 PM »
Punter, u can stick the soft felt ones (grey from MarkC or who-ever else has them) and put them between the plastic pincab ones no problems.
It is only very thin and with the overall package being squuezed tightly with the leg bolts done up, u dont even notice they are there.  I will be doing that straight away with my NIB AC/DC. Without the felt between , the pincab ones can leave an indented line when tightened up properly, hence adding the felt is a must IMO.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2012, 05:49:13 PM »
Punter, u can stick the soft felt ones (grey from MarkC or who-ever else has them) and put them between the plastic pincab ones no problems.
It is only very thin and with the overall package being squuezed tightly with the leg bolts done up, u dont even notice they are there.  I will be doing that straight away with my NIB AC/DC. Without the felt between , the pincab ones can leave an indented line when tightened up properly, hence adding the felt is a must IMO.  ^^^

Why not just use the felt ones Brett ? I just ordered puncabs from greg for my WH20 as the decals are abit crap near the legs

Peter

Offline punter

• Forum Posts:
  • illawarra
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2012, 06:54:48 PM »
I will try it this way also Brett as i wanted to have the yellow pincabs installed under the red legs as i like this look,as on Swinks, Ironman machine.I was tossing up wether to go with yellow or red but i think with the colours on the cab artwork the yellow will look good.If i do not like the end result i will have a spare set of the felt ones here and i will just have plain felt under the legs.Thank god i have a pinball trolley here as it makes doing all this a breeze.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2012, 08:04:11 PM »
For those contemplating which way to go - the pincab protectors do have a radius on the inside of the protectors edge therefore there so no definite direct edge up against the decal - avoiding the typical gauge effect on new or very good quality decals. Also the pincab protectors extend out about 8-10mm from the legs meaning it will cover that typical decal gauge and look better than the felt ones extending out past the leg edge.

https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2012, 09:04:36 PM »

Why not just use the felt ones Brett ? I just ordered puncabs from greg for my WH20 as the decals are abit crap near the legs

Peter

In answer to your question Pete, on all my machines I use the std grey ones i bought in bulk from Mark.  But on my new STERN pinnys, I will use the pincab plastic ones with felt inbetween, because it looks the goods. Eventually, I will add pincab coloured plastic ones to all my machines with the felt inbetween etc.  Talking about mods for a pinny, I am creating 2 x different toppers for the AC/DC pinny.  I will make an extra few I think and will share them with AC/DC owners.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2012, 10:04:54 PM »

Peter

In answer to your question Pete, on all my machines I use the std grey ones i bought in bulk from Mark.  But on my new STERN pinnys, I will use the pincab plastic ones with felt inbetween, because it looks the goods. Eventually, I will add pincab coloured plastic ones to all my machines with the felt inbetween etc.  Talking about mods for a pinny, I am creating 2 x different toppers for the AC/DC pinny.  I will make an extra few I think and will share them with AC/DC owners.

I've got some blue ones coming from Greg for my white water so I will try the cloth ones inside the pincabs then if it looks good I'll order black ones for AC/DC

Peter