Author Topic: Does it get any better??  (Read 233 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Does it get any better??
« on: June 27, 2009, 09:18:37 PM »
Well what a day!!

I had 2 pins to pick up today.
Went to get the first of them - a 1973 Gtb High Hand. Machine is in great condition and comes with all paperwork inc flyer and extra drop targets NOS.
 Man im thinking.. this is sweet!!!

Next stop is to go get the next pin, but on the way back i get a call.. its my mate Nick.. can i fix his EM machine?? Sure mate.. bring her round and ill pick at it during the week. By time i get home Nick is already at my place and on the back of the ute is the sweetest looking 1964 Wms PALOOKA - and i mean SWEET!!! This machine is in supreme condition just a beautiful sight to behold...
 heres the link, check her out.. this isnt the actual one BTW, but hey... take a look!

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=palooka&searchtype=quick#1743

So i tell him that ill look at it and tell him its fixed once ive had a bloody good play on her.

OK time is getting on and i need to go get the next pin.

Its at the Ettomogah pub on the sunshine coast.
 I turn up and get taken out to the storage area way out the back.... oh my!!! Theres 2 pins! a VERY tidy Gulf Stream and an equally tidy Jacks Open which is already sold - damn!!

Still... i get talking to David who does the maintenance and helps me load the GS, im talking machines to Dave, fixing stuff and restoration... so what does dave do?? Takes myself, partner and kids round the fairground on a guided tour.
 We go round and we are talking how Dodgem cars work and the voltages etc, how to change the rubber, the ferris wheel, the carousel and the 1890 hand carved horses that once were in it.. the stuff from Luna Park.. how to take the roller coaster apart. The DC motors in another ride.. we even pulled apart a radio controled boat to examine whats inside. The rides that are for sale.. yes FOR SALE!!  LOL!! Put yer tongue back in Gav.
 Then we all sat down and had a cup of tea, a chat etc.

I swore that me picking up the pins wouldnt take all day and that id be done by lunch.
 We got home this evening at 7pm to a slap up feed of fish and chips....... but man... its been a fantastic day!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Does it get any better??
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 09:23:15 PM »
Wow man, what a day! Thanks for sharing.  $#$
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 10:35:23 PM »

Yep - Great Day that happens every so often - if you are lucky !

Great story - and good pickup.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 10:59:16 PM »
Good story. Was your pin sited at the Ettomogah Pub at some stage?
Maybe its a famous pin.  %$%

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 09:41:20 AM »
Thanks for posting maaaaaaate - sounds like a fun day!

Looks like you really cleaned up on the High Hand, especially what you payed for it  ^^^ What's the backglass on it like?

That Palooka - that is the one that came from Mike isn't it?

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 09:48:59 AM »
Gav what a great day, finding the ins and outs of all those great amusement rides  #*#
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 10:19:28 AM »
Yeh - the PALOOKA came from Mike.. just stunning condition!
It was working and rerubbered etc when sold, but since developed a fault. several people been in there before me to attempt a fix and so now we have at least 3 faults that i can work out
 I would LOVE to own this pin!

HH BG is easy 9.5/10. machine is an Aussie import from 73... ill post some pics later

Dean.... Mate.... going round the fairground was unreal.. ive been under and inside all sorts of rides... and if ever you need a new steel cable fitted to your ferris wheel to turn it, i know exactly how its done

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 11:05:44 AM »
What a great day Gav thanks for sharing

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 12:32:35 PM »
Yeh - the PALOOKA came from Mike.. just stunning condition!
It was working and rerubbered etc when sold, but since developed a fault. several people been in there before me to attempt a fix and so now we have at least 3 faults that i can work out
 I would LOVE to own this pin!

HH BG is easy 9.5/10. machine is an Aussie import from 73... ill post some pics later

Dean.... Mate.... going round the fairground was unreal.. ive been under and inside all sorts of rides... and if ever you need a new steel cable fitted to your ferris wheel to turn it, i know exactly how its done

Gav, might take you up on that offer!  Just need to win the 90million in Tatts this week, then Michael Jacksons Neverland is up 4 sale, so if it all comes together and if the ferris wheel develops a fault I will have to fly you out  :lol
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 05:42:47 PM »
Good story gav, thanks for sharing..

Last time I was up at that pub thay had a few late model pins and vids in the huge barn/bar area?? are they still there?
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

pinballist

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 09:49:32 PM »
Wow Gavin what a great story.  You've had quite a good week, especially after the great price you got for your Metro.