Author Topic: Taking a pop bumper out of circuit  (Read 241 times)

Offline mickthepin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Taking a pop bumper out of circuit
« on: March 29, 2013, 12:29:25 PM »
I have a busted pop bumper that I have taken the coil out of. The problem is a transistor that made it stay on and fry. I need my uncle to help me replace the transistor who is coming in a few weeks. My question is can I join the wires together where the coil use to be and take it out of the equation so I can continue playing? do I need to put a resistor of some value in between the wires? !@#   

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Re: Taking a pop bumper out of circuit
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 12:33:42 PM »
I have a busted pop bumper that I have taken the coil out of. The problem is a transistor that made it stay on and fry. I need my uncle to help me replace the transistor who is coming in a few weeks. My question is can I join the wires together where the coil use to be and take it out of the equation so I can continue playing? do I need to put a resistor of some value in between the wires? !@#    

DO NOT connect the two coil wires together - very bad things will happen.

Tape the two wires up seperately so they CANNOT touch each other or anything else like metal parts under the playfield.

You shouldn't need to do anything else but it will depend on exactly how the driver transistor has shorted.

The machine should be OK to use with the wires isolated and insulated.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline mickthepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 12:37:53 PM »
Thanks home pin I thought that might be the case I tried that and there was some other problems that came up. Was hoping I had done something wrong but I think I might have more trouble than just the one transistor. @.@ 

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 12:40:28 PM »

do u know how this happened ? did it have anything to do with the other repair for the path of adventure etc ?
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline mickthepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 12:46:48 PM »
na different pin Cavey. This happened ages ago when it rained for like a week and everything even stuff inside felt wet. Turned on the machine and after a bit smelled smoke.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 12:53:29 PM »
I hate it when things like that happen. Drives ya nuts.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline mickthepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 12:59:20 PM »
When I run a solenoid test it runs though them fine from the start to back box fish (this if fishtales by the way) then from out hole none work untill reel motor. Think Its just a fuse but thought I would post this wile I am tracking it down in case anyone had some thoughts on this. 

Offline mickthepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 01:26:37 PM »
Just a fuse  *%* was holding my balls there for a second. When it first happened the smell of smoke gave me nightmares of what els was going to be stuffed when I got into it but thankfully it was isolated to just the pop bumper. ^^^ ^^^

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 02:27:20 PM »
Yeah, just a fuse, good luck with that........
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline mickthepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 03:16:51 PM »
yeh I know just a fuse until the rest of the problems start  ::)