Author Topic: US Container Space Anyne?  (Read 369 times)

Offline Jango

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
US Container Space Anyne?
« on: September 24, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
Hi guys
if anyone has space available in a container etc from the US (preferably California) to Melbourne could you please let me know ASAP. I am looking at bringing 1 x pin in and would greatly appreciate some space etc. Alternatively if anyone knows a great freight forwarding company in Melbourne I can contact to handle everything for me, please advise.

I met a great guy in Bali recently who had a freight forwarding company in Melbourne not far from Richmond and I cannot remember the name of his company unfortunately.

Any assistance n the above greatly appreciated guys
thanks

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: US Container Space Anyne?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 11:11:01 AM »
I think there was an eBay listing for container service out of the USA. $500 + the GST value of your game (unless under $1000). Alternatively, if you want my Freight forwarder's details, PM me.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 01:18:19 PM »
You can save alot of money and go to CUSTOMS HOUSE in your city and get advice on how to bring in the pinball machine yourself very easily.

If u follow the list of things u need to do, it will save u $700 ish, perhaps even up to a grand because freight forwarders charge like wounded bulls and add alot of money on at every step. I have bought pins in from the USA and my huge Star Trek machine and did the lot myself without a freight forwarder. Just go to your locals CUSTOMS and they can easily tell u what u have to do. Follow their checklist and it is very easy.

Just make sure the person in the USA is happy to provide you with the declarations etc that CUSTOMS require, and get copies of the paperwork before the item is shipped, or you will never be able to pick your stuff up and have it released. Make sure the machine is shipped on a plastic pallet. That alone will save a declaration and fumigation of the pallet which is expensive. Get a quote from a freight forwarder if u want to go that way, and then compare it to the customs checklist, and u will see how much money you can save.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 08:31:44 PM »
Hi guys
if anyone has space available in a container etc from the US (preferably California) to Melbourne could you please let me know ASAP. I am looking at bringing 1 x pin in and would greatly appreciate some space etc. Alternatively if anyone knows a great freight forwarding company in Melbourne I can contact to handle everything for me, please advise.

I met a great guy in Bali recently who had a freight forwarding company in Melbourne not far from Richmond and I cannot remember the name of his company unfortunately.

Any assistance n the above greatly appreciated guys
thanks
Hmmmm he doesn't use boogie boards in any transactions?  &^&
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 08:39:41 PM »

Customs (AQIS) don't organize freight, they clear it into the country. Bringing in anything from overseas over a certain value will require customs clearance. A freight forwarder is necessary at the origin as they look on your behalf for the cheapest shipping lane amongst other things. Customs don't bring anything into the country. They assess imports and clear them. A freight forwarder is the liaison point between the exporter, the shipper, customs and the importer.

As mentioned, at the destination, the importer has the option of clearing the item through a Customs Agent / Freight Forwarder OR they can clear it themselves.

Advantages of clearing customs without a Freight forwarder are that you CAN save money is SOME areas. The MAJOR disadvantage is that the money you "saved" will be spent on hidden claims you won't know about UNLESS you know the system, or you know a GOOD Freight forwarder. Customs will not let you know that there are Tariffs you can claim which will save you at least 10% on imports of coin operated devices. Also, if you clear customs yourself, you are effectively putting your hand up to be at the end of the queue and customs will do everything in their power to make life difficult for you. Freight forwarders do all the hard work for you. My last import was 2 phone calls. Dealing direct with customs would be a nightmare. Even speaking to the right person is a four hour bureaucratic nightmare !

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 10:10:10 PM »
My last few importations were as smooth as silk from the USA and I had the complete opposite results that you have mentioned above, and I did the lot myself, and saved alot of money. Customs are experts on giving advice on importing/exporting everything and anything and give out solid advice.
I cant vouch for other states, but thats how it was in QLD dealing with Customs and staying away from freight forwarders who overcharge at every turn.. Customs was very helpful and no waiting in line or even on the phone at all up here. They make things easier for you, not harder at all in my opinion.

Importing without a freight forwarder over here takes a extra bit of effort but it will save you alot of money. Get a quote from a freight forwarder as previously mentioned, then speak with customs to get the info for doing it all yourself. That way u will know both ways and u can chose accordingly.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 10:12:58 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 10:51:50 PM »
Ive dealt with customs here when importing to Brisbane... will NEVER do it again. Could have had it all done for $240 by a freight forwarder... customs gave me the run around day after day and each day added $175 storage fee.. in the end i told them to bloody keep the goods. Absolute pricks they were

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 12:07:49 AM »
Ive dealt with customs here when importing to Brisbane... will NEVER do it again. Could have had it all done for $240 by a freight forwarder... customs gave me the run around day after day and each day added $175 storage fee.. in the end i told them to bloody keep the goods. Absolute pricks they were

I am guessing Gav that they wanted paperwork that u never had, or the paperwork wasnt to thier standard etc and was missing vital information according to them. Paperwork has to be perfect or u run into hassles real easy..
Thats why it is most important for anyone who is bringing something in to get advice from Customs before bringing something in, before it leaves the senders hands or you run into trouble.
Even using a freight forwarder doesnt guarrantee a smooth ride because if they miss steps along the way, you have to pay to fix their stuff ups etc. Shop around if using freight forwarders. Customs up here gave me a list of companies they deal with who know what they are doing, off the record ofcourse. Ultimately, all freight forwarders must comply with what Customs require. Thats why i went direct to the Customs and got the right info before embarking on importation. Only with their help was it easy.
I wonder how Mike(Homepin) goes with his importing ?

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 12:34:10 AM »
Yeh they wanted this bit of paper... then next day another and each day i would ask if i would then have everything in order and the answer was always YES.. next day another.. next day another etc and so it went on... absolute deliberate run around made to make my importation impossible... My impression was that its a " closed shop" system and if you aint in it.. then they make it impossible to navigate around

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 10:51:36 AM »
Yeh they wanted this bit of paper... then next day another and each day i would ask if i would then have everything in order and the answer was always YES.. next day another.. next day another etc and so it went on... absolute deliberate run around made to make my importation impossible... My impression was that its a " closed shop" system and if you aint in it.. then they make it impossible to navigate around

That's the "usual" experience with Customs, and that's where you lose all the money you "saved" by not using a Freight Forwarder.

In the 90's, I used to work under contract to all the Victorian Freight Forwarders and Customs Agents as an IT Technician. So I'm aware of the pitfalls back then. Industry people I know tell me it is FAR worse these days, and it became very difficult after September 11 2001.

One thing to keep in mind. Customs DON'T import, or organize to import anything from overseas. They inspect, assess and CLEAR items into the country. You can't go to AQIS or Customs and ask "how do I import A pinball". They DON'T do that. They advise in CLEARING the pinball. They might point you to a process, but they won't engage with the exporter or the shipper. If the importer has already organized the export and shipment and then the item lands in Australia, you will receive a call either from customs, or a Freight Forwarder or Customs agent will ask "Do you want to CLEAR the item through Customs YOURSELF, or use a Customs Agent".

I recall 30 years ago that my Father imported arcade boards from the USA WITHOUT using his Freight Forwarder. These boards were held in bond for more than 6 months while custom "processed" the paperwork. Customs started charging "storage fees", and then when they were eventually cleared, they were abandoned. This was all because of a mistake in the paperwork that customs put in the "too hard" basket. Yes - he saved money, but lost the boards.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 11:12:32 AM »
Gav, sounds like u had a bad run with them compared to my experiences.
When i wanted to import my huge Star Trek Machine from the USA, I went to Customs first for advice on how NOT to do it, and how it SHOULD be done. They outlined the process from start to stop, and gave me copies of every bit of paperwork, and a flow chart to show how it is done "professionally" or more to the point, how they want it done to make Customs life easier.

Accordingly, I followed the exact advice/process they gave me and never had a problem. In fact, the lady who gave me all the advice, was the same lady I ended up with at the counter on the day I wanted the item cleared etc. It was a breeze.
I think in retrospect, if u go in there to Customs after u have started the process, when things are hitting the fan, and then ask for help, they probably do put you thru the ringer and teach people a lesson for not doing their homework first, by not getting Customs help n advice first.
But I think people will find that if they approach Customs first, build some rapport with an officer or two, follow their guidelines, it is all very easy.
I knew if i didnt do things exactly right, it would go pearshaped real quick, which is why I made Customs my best mates first, before I even started the process.

The Star Trek machine was my first import. Except for the seller being a bit slack and taking a extra week to pack it etc which worried me at the start, and he spoke mostly spanish, everything was very smooth, and it was all because of Australian Customs and how easy they made the whole process for me by giving me the right advice. Another thing i found, is that they had contacts all over the world, and if anything needed checking, it was easy for them to make a phonecall and help me out. They were only too happy to oblige.

If you know what you are doing, dealing with customs is a piece of cake. It was for me, and I saved over $1400 which is what the freight forwarder wanted. I will do all my imports again myself, without a freight forwarder, cause its a very simple process if u follow the customs rules. I did everything from my desk phone incl booking the truck to pick up the item in the USA, I booked the slot on the USA seafreight boat, then took care of everything when the item came. If I can do it, anyone can.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 11:14:42 AM by Caveoftreasures »

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 01:47:12 PM »
You can import an LCL (Less than a Container Load) yourself as long as you are very careful with the paperwork.

An FCL (Full Container Load) on the other hand CANNOT BE DONE by an 'ordinary' person as the container slot needs to be booked in the system online and ONLY customs brokers have access to the system.

End of story for a FCL - cannot be done other than through a broker.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 06:11:38 PM »
 !@# !@# Was the importation of the Star Trek machine done with a freight forwarder at this end?

http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=3755.0

WELL. 3 HOURS ON THE PHONE TO THE USA LAST NIGHT FROM 3 AM TO 6 AM BACK AND FORTH.

and finally I get told the item is in a container and leaves the USA this weekend on a Ship/Vessel called CAP BOND.
It arrives in Australia on the 3rd March. THE SELLER DID NOTHING FOR ME. A lovely lady called Lucy at a company called SHIPCO did everything.

THE LESSON HERE PEOPLE IS AS FOLLOWS -

1. Never arrange the freight forwarding from the USA end
2. Get a Freight forwarder in Australia to do all the work for you
3. I should have used my brother who has 15 yrs experience but he was away and i didnt wait.
4. If the seller is Hispanic and doesnt speak much english, use a freight forwarder who uses interpreters.
5. NEVER GIVE UP. I was so tempted.
6. NEVER deal with a Company in California called ARCADEPLANET. The owner is an idiot. Doesnt have a brain in his head. Poorest communication.

7. Get advice from Mark C before you try to import something.

Will take photos when it gets here. Phheeewwwww. !

Gav, sounds like u had a bad run with them compared to my experiences.
When i wanted to import my huge Star Trek Machine from the USA, I went to Customs first for advice on how NOT to do it, and how it SHOULD be done. They outlined the process from start to stop, and gave me copies of every bit of paperwork, and a flow chart to show how it is done "professionally" or more to the point, how they want it done to make Customs life easier.

Accordingly, I followed the exact advice/process they gave me and never had a problem. In fact, the lady who gave me all the advice, was the same lady I ended up with at the counter on the day I wanted the item cleared etc. It was a breeze.
I think in retrospect, if u go in there to Customs after u have started the process, when things are hitting the fan, and then ask for help, they probably do put you thru the ringer and teach people a lesson for not doing their homework first, by not getting Customs help n advice first.
But I think people will find that if they approach Customs first, build some rapport with an officer or two, follow their guidelines, it is all very easy.
I knew if i didnt do things exactly right, it would go pearshaped real quick, which is why I made Customs my best mates first, before I even started the process.

The Star Trek machine was my first import. Except for the seller being a bit slack and taking a extra week to pack it etc which worried me at the start, and he spoke mostly spanish, everything was very smooth, and it was all because of Australian Customs and how easy they made the whole process for me by giving me the right advice. Another thing i found, is that they had contacts all over the world, and if anything needed checking, it was easy for them to make a phonecall and help me out. They were only too happy to oblige.

If you know what you are doing, dealing with customs is a piece of cake. It was for me, and I saved over $1400 which is what the freight forwarder wanted. I will do all my imports again myself, without a freight forwarder, cause its a very simple process if u follow the customs rules. I did everything from my desk phone incl booking the truck to pick up the item in the USA, I booked the slot on the USA seafreight boat, then took care of everything when the item came. If I can do it, anyone can.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 06:34:22 PM »
No. I did not use a freight forwarder at all Marty. You will see that I was on the phone between 3am and 6am on my first post from back then. Thats because I arranged all the shipping myself and didnt use a freight forwarder. If I had of used a freight forwarder, I wouldnt have been on the phone in the wee hours when the USA people were still in the office etc. The seller was originally going to do the lot, but his spanish only situation made it impossible so I took over all the freight bookings etc directly with the transport/shipping company. I dealt direct with the seafreight company in the end.

I called a lady at Shipco in the USA who spoke spanish who was able to speak spanish to the guy who sold me the machine who could not understand any english and she was able to get him to email some documents to the correct email address, my email address.
A freight forwarder was NOT used by me at all. At the time I said use a freight forwarder after I had some issues, only cause of the language barrier.

I have not had a language barrier since and have never used a freight forwarder then or since. Thanks for asking/checking.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 07:27:29 PM by Caveoftreasures »