Author Topic: Stern magic restoration  (Read 715 times)

Offline faza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Stern magic restoration
« on: April 19, 2009, 07:01:58 PM »
Its about time that i showed a few before and after photos of what i have achieved so far.
After i sandblasted the legs and coin door i decided to have them powder coated black instead of the original silverish colour, although its not original i think it looks better and its the only colour the powder coater would do.
I had all the chrome parts on the door rechromed and i think that the black background makes them stand out more.
As you can see in the photos the cabinet has had some deep grooves in either side which i have filled and sanded.
I will repaint the cabinet next but would like to buy stencils if possible, if not i will attempt to make some.
Playfield has quite a bit of wear have not yet decided on a course of action yet.
Its my first pinball and she who must be obeyed wont let it in the house until it looks the goods .
Would like to finish restoring this and then get another newer machine to go along side it.
Cheers

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Re: Stern magic restoration
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 07:07:29 PM »
Door looks heaps better ! As you have seen and heard won't be long before one pin becomes 2, becomes 4 etc  && . I know cause now I currently have 7 in a little less than 4 years . %.%
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 07:07:52 PM »
ITs coming along quite nicely.!   #*#

Were the original doors / legs hammertone silver or something different?

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 07:08:35 PM »
It looks surprisingly good with the black legs and door - I wasn't certain it was going to but it seems to work.

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 07:11:24 PM »
I agree that i probably wont be able to stop at two machines only time will tell .

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 07:20:04 PM »
No the original colour was a plain silver grey colour i painted the coinbox and lockdown bar with grey hammertone paint and it looks a lot better
ITs coming along quite nicely.!   #*#

Were the original doors / legs hammertone silver or something different?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 07:42:40 PM »

A GREAT Job there Faza ! I like the look of the black legs and door.

You can get the original Stern ball plunger housing if you are looking for it. Just an observation !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 07:48:47 PM »
Thanks will look into it after i paint the cabinet

You can get the original Stern ball plunger housing if you are looking for it. Just an observation !

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 08:54:05 PM »

Yes, agreed the black legs and door look awesome!  ^^^

I have an original ball plunger housing (with the 2 connecting screws) here if you want it Faza, just send me your mailing address in a PM and will get it to you.

Should also add I really love this game! It looks real cool and is a blast to play  *%*

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 09:40:59 PM »
Thanks heaps PM sent

Yes, agreed the black legs and door look awesome!  ^^^

I have an original ball plunger housing (with the 2 connecting screws) here if you want it Faza, just send me your mailing address in a PM and will get it to you.

Should also add I really love this game! It looks real cool and is a blast to play  *%*

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 09:36:31 PM »
Just read a few restorations where they purcahased stern door decals and they looked great.
As my door is now black any decals would need to be lighter any ideas ???????????

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 10:52:15 PM »
Maybe you could spray the inset another/lighter colour? Something also available is the 'credit' sticker that sits around the credit button, off the top of my head this is blue and red - they are available in the US

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 06:39:06 PM »
Wondering wether i could scan the original sticker and change the colour with photoshop ?
Only problem is i dont know how to use photoshop but im sure in time i could figure it out.
Tony received the ball plunger housing yesterday thanks heaps will put it on after painting.
I have the credit sticker but unfortunately it has lost its stickiness contemplating what glue to use ?
Maybe you could spray the inset another/lighter colour? Something also available is the 'credit' sticker that sits around the credit button, off the top of my head this is blue and red - they are available in the US

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 09:34:52 PM »
Wondering wether i could scan the original sticker and change the colour with photoshop ?
Only problem is i dont know how to use photoshop but im sure in time i could figure it out.
Tony received the ball plunger housing yesterday thanks heaps will put it on after painting.
I have the credit sticker but unfortunately it has lost its stickiness contemplating what glue to use ?

Excellent! Glad it arrived - you should be able to clean it up.

If you want send the scan to me, let me know what colour(s) you want it (maybe could do a few) and I'll send it back.

Send to: pinballoz@yahoo.com

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 10:28:32 PM »
I'd brighten the red up to make it pop a little more on the black door, and also change the dark blue border and text to white. That would look pretty good.