Author Topic: Magic Erasor?  (Read 795 times)

Offline braddo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Magic Erasor?
« on: October 08, 2009, 05:09:21 PM »
Anyone used one of these on an older (1979) playfield to remove ball swirl? I don't want to ruin the paintwork or remove any paint really but just trying to clean up some ball swirl etc. Magic eraser a good idea? If it's the thing to do and i use this, what then? wax over the cleaned areas?

Also, i,ve been told to use Mr Sheen to clean the playfield with. Good idea? I don't want to get too funny about things, just don't want to stuff anything, that's all. !@)

Thanks.
WTB (or possibly trade) - 1980 Stern ALI

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Magic Erasor?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 05:14:15 PM »
 Yes ive used ME on older playfields right back to 1955 trick is slow and steady and dont push to hard.  I wet the ME with either ISOCOL or shelite or even eucalyptus oil on stubborn crud.

AS for Mr sheen  !@# 

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 05:47:18 PM »

Clean the pf with Shellite and a rag
Use Magic Eraser with isoprophyl alcohol (bunnings), or isocol (supermarket / chemist)
Clean with Novus 2
Polish with meguiars paste carnuba wax

Do a quick search on "magic eraser" for some threads with methods and results.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline braddo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 05:57:25 PM »
AS for Mr sheen  !@# 

OK thanks ^^^. I'm sure the pin tech from the place i bought my machine said MrSheen. I was talking about a problem at my work with someone at the time (on the phone) so i'm a bit vague about it, but pretty sure he said MrSheen. Don't matter i'll take advice off you guys. I'm looking forward to looking after things, what a great way to pass time, and a good excuse to have a few beers in the process  %$%. also.

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 07:22:08 PM »
It seems lots of "pin techs" recommend using Mr Sheen to clean a playfield... still trying to work out why, as Mr Sheen is a Furniture Polish!

I'm sure polishes aren't used for cleaning...

Go with what has already been said above!

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 07:26:02 PM »
It seems lots of "pin techs" recommend using Mr Sheen to clean a playfield... still trying to work out why, as Mr Sheen is a Furniture Polish!

I think is is "old school" - My old man used to use it directly on playfields 30 years ago. It just goes in between the cracks and lift the paint. However, he used to use it to clean the pinballs he had applied contact to (pre mylar days), with great results.

Mr Sheen is a GREAT product to clean pinball cabinets with. I never use it on playfields - no where near as effective as shellite/Nifti/Novus2.

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 10:46:16 PM »
Eucalyptus oil and ME - winners!

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 12:20:08 AM »

as the old tv add for Mr Sheen says "Clean wax and polish with Mr sheen"

i only use it on p/f with mylar fitted
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 12:41:33 AM »
gumption on the cabinets, best ever. my 2 x bugs bunnys being white pinballs will agree there. from filthy to new looking.
GUMPTION ON CABINETS RULES.

Believe it or not, i used an automative "bug n tar remover" (green n white bottle)  on the playfield of bugs bunny when novus did nothing. and it worked a treat.best ever cleaner and no damage.stubborn 1990 yuk came off real quick.
I figured if it dont remove paint from a mercedes benz front bumper, it wont hurt the playfield.i was right. works real well on mylar, and direct playfield.

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline braddo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 01:47:56 PM »
OK thanks for the advice everyone great stuff. Another question though-

If i start to remove ball swirl a bit a time (i'm not going to rush this), can i still play the machine in between cleaning without waxing etc? I mean, do i have to complete the whole job, then wax before i use the machine? Will using the ME leave the playfield 'unprotected' if a play the thing without waxing? Stupid question maybe but i don't want to hurt anything! Thanks.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 07:01:27 PM »
OK thanks for the advice everyone great stuff. Another question though-

If i start to remove ball swirl a bit a time (i'm not going to rush this), can i still play the machine in between cleaning without waxing etc? I mean, do i have to complete the whole job, then wax before i use the machine? Will using the ME leave the playfield 'unprotected' if a play the thing without waxing? Stupid question maybe but i don't want to hurt anything! Thanks.

I usually remove all the hardware on a playfield (don't HAVE to do it), so I never play while cleaning. I would finish the process, then wax and play.

Offline braddo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 10:19:24 PM »
OK i've started on a small area on the pin with the ME and some Euco oil. Spent 20min-30mins in roughly one area. There doesn't seem to be much difference so far, i started off very lightly scrubbing in circles. At times went with a bit more pressure, but not much. The ME is getting dirty so it must be getting out some crap, but not real noticable differences to me. Am i doing this right? Should i apply more pressure? or is this just going to be a very long process? Can some ball swirl be too much to remove? Thanks.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 10:27:37 PM »
OK i've started on a small area on the pin with the ME and some Euco oil. Spent 20min-30mins in roughly one area. There doesn't seem to be much difference so far, i started off very lightly scrubbing in circles. At times went with a bit more pressure, but not much. The ME is getting dirty so it must be getting out some crap, but not real noticable differences to me. Am i doing this right? Should i apply more pressure? or is this just going to be a very long process? Can some ball swirl be too much to remove? Thanks.

You should be able to see some improvement. If the ME is a yellow tinge, then you are lifting the lacquer / clearcoat. You cannot remove the Ball Swirl - you are only removing the fine dirt particles that are caught in the "swirls"

Offline braddo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 02:29:21 PM »
Allright had another go at the ME today and honestly not really seeing any noticeable difference so i'll play it safe and call quits i think. I don't see the point of scrubbing the playfeild and possibly removing original laquer or whatever for no real visual difference with ball swirl. Maybe the dirt is just too set in on this one? I suppose Gorgar is not going to make anything easy he's one bad-ass ^&(. Overall it's a bloody good condition playfield, the ball swirl does not really take anything away from the overall appearance of the game, just thought i'd try clean some of it up but i'm happy to leave it. Still have to post pics.