Author Topic: Stern - Big Juicy Melons - going into production  (Read 58060 times)

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Re: Stern - Big Juicy Melons - going into production
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2015, 08:23:16 AM »
RRP - $6500 USD = $8500 AUD + AMD markup = $9500 - $10000 + freight to your door.

The costing discussed in this thread is incorrect.  AMD do not mark up on a US RRP.  The simple way to estimate the Aussie price is to compare the US RRP for BJM and the US RRP of Sterns last release being WWE.  There is about a $US500 price increase from WWE Pro to BJM.  So with WWE Pro listed at $A7,850 retail, BJM should retail for about $8,400.

But yes, it still dashes hopes of BJM being less than a Stern Pro.

Also note that though Stern had savings with BJM not being a licensed theme, that saving was likely less than the commission paid to Whizbang.  I expect that is what really killed the price.

What is most disappointing, is that this will not be a cheaper option for operators than a Stern Pro, such that it will not be common on location.  With the layout being simple, I hoped it would have drawn a heap of new players into the game.

A wise long term strategy could have been to sell BJM at near cost price, just to get a heap of these simple games on location.  Doing this once every three years would draw in new younger players, based on the simplicity as well as the proliferation of the machine on location. Look what happened when ACDC was introduced to Australia, with a drop in price thanks to the Aussie dollar increase.  ACDC Pro retailed at less than $6,000 - it was found everywhere, and is what resurrected pinball here.  (yes the theme helped of course).

PS
BJM is a multiplayer game.  Presumably the score reals alternate between players.

Well said that makes a ton of sence :) thats good news its a multiplayer I thought it was weird that in this day and age someone would make a single player game how boring lol didn't they make single player EMs back in the day to save costs? Unfortunately these days no matter what theme pinball in the wild is dead-if ACDC struggled to make money in Australia then nothing can-having said that some ops said ACDC did do ok :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 08:28:42 AM by GORGAR 1 »