Author Topic: Stern - Big Juicy Melons - going into production  (Read 58052 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: Stern - Big Juicy Melons - going into production
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2015, 08:29:59 AM »
RRP - $6500 USD = $8500 AUD + AMD markup = $9500 - $10000 + freight to your door.

The costing discussed in this thread is incorrect.  AMD do not mark up on a US RRP.  The simple way to estimate the Aussie price is to compare the US RRP for BJM and the US RRP of Sterns last release being WWE.  There is about a $US500 price increase from WWE Pro to BJM.  So with WWE Pro listed at $A7,850 retail, BJM should retail for about $8,400.

But yes, it still dashes hopes of BJM being less than a Stern Pro.

Also note that though Stern had savings with BJM not being a licensed theme, that saving was likely less than the commission paid to Whizbang.  I expect that is what really killed the price.

What is most disappointing, is that this will not be a cheaper option for operators than a Stern Pro, such that it will not be common on location.  With the layout being simple, I hoped it would have drawn a heap of new players into the game.

A wise long term strategy could have been to sell BJM at near cost price, just to get a heap of these simple games on location.  Doing this once every three years would draw in new younger players, based on the simplicity as well as the proliferation of the machine on location. Look what happened when ACDC was introduced to Australia, with a drop in price thanks to the Aussie dollar increase.  ACDC Pro retailed at less than $6,000 - it was found everywhere, and is what resurrected pinball here.  (yes the theme helped of course).

PS
BJM is a multiplayer game.  Presumably the score reals alternate between players.

we will see on AMD's price but I think you are not factoring the AUD exchange rate especially when Bruce has received his pricing information yet so hard to say it is incorrect when you are guessing just as much as I am.

$6500 US = $8360 AUD even before you factor freight costs as well import and other taxes + their (AMD) cherry on the top (which they have always put on top to cover the fluctuation in the dollar value and even did when our dollar was really good). But when the USD = AUD there was always a $1500 to $2000 on top of Stern's US RRP price for us Aussies. We all know that the US have competition between pin distributors so the price would drop $500 to if you were lucky $1000 below the RRP. We don't have the competition as it is a one distributor only so we are hit with the US RRP + freight + various taxes (which are based on invoice price + freight) + cherry.

in addition I think since Stern have retracted the official release which I reckon due to the negative backlash is that I think they will drop the price and therefore lower RRP and a lower Aus sale price. My guess the RRP will drop to $6000 USD = $8500 to $9000 for us Aussies.

I do agree with you on the non licensed fee has probably turned into a commission to Dennis and Co, but since it is a cheaper machine in parts I can't see the value in the raised RRP. as timber rails and crate would equal ramps and toys and to a degree the machine was designed & tested prior but would of had to undergo some design changes with the spike programming and voices but at least at 50% less than a regular Stern designed game. Though these are wild guesses but still something to consider.

Also pretty sure it is a one player only as Dennis stated in a Spooky interview.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 08:36:28 AM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts