Author Topic: Willem EPROM Programmers  (Read 3330 times)

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
Modifying the "Advanced Willem EPROM Programmer"
« on: November 09, 2008, 12:36:48 AM »
OK, so you want your Advanced Willem EPROM Programmer to actually program the older chips? This can be achieved...

There are only a few parts that need to be replaced for the programmer to work with the 2716, 2532 and 2732's, and this will not affect programming the other ROM's.

Below is a pic showing the unit, and marking the components to be replaced:

The above pic does make it a bit difficult to see what needs replacing, so here it is again, but upside down (this is the pic I will be referencing):

OK, still not 100% easy to see, but hopefully this will give you the idea when you are looking at your own.

Anyway, there are not that many parts that need replacing... and the parts are pretty cheap overall.

Using the bottom pic as the reference, I will work from right to left...

R9 - This resistor is a 2k2 1/8W, change it to a 1k2 1/8W.
Q4 - This transistor (second from the bottom) is a BC557, change it to a BC327.
R10 - This resistor (second from the bottom) is a 3k8 1/8W, change it to a 2k2 1/8W.
C3 - This capacitor is a 22uF 35V electrolytic, change it to a 47uF 35V electrolytic.
D3 - This diode is a 1N4148, change it to a BYV26, BYV95C or another Ultra Fast Shotky Diode (I used the BYV26E) - you may need to drill out the holes slightly for the legs to go through.
C2 - This capacitor is a 220pF Ceramic, change it to a 1nF (1000pF) Ceramic capacitor.
R17 - This resistor is a 0.5ohm 1/4W resistor (it is hidden underneath the inductor), change it to a 0.33ohm 1/4W Metal Film resistor.
L1 - This inductor is a 100uH 35mA inductor, change this to a 100uH 300mA+ inductor.

As you can see... they are mostly common and easy to get parts, except for the Diode, Inductor, and maybe the 0.33ohm Resistor.

When buying the parts necessary for my programmer, some of the parts needed to be ordered in multiples of 5, so I bought enough to modify 5 complete programmers. 2 parts kits are already sold, but I have 2 left for sale if anybody is interested... Depending on the interest, I may order more parts to make more kits up... PM me if you are interested.

Next post will be about the different programming voltages for the ROM's... (this may take some time to gather all the data... %.%)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 01:14:20 AM by pinball-fixer »