Author Topic: fuse theory  (Read 356 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
fuse theory
« on: April 29, 2015, 09:03:37 PM »
I think I understand the purpose of a fuse and the reasoning for fast and slow blow fuses. I have just had a couple of fuses go on different games and have not had a fuse go for a long time. So my question is, 'Do fuses wear?'. My reasoning is, and please correct me if wrong, that fuses cop a beating on power up or sometimes during gameplay which causes them to slightly wear or get damage and eventually they blow even though there may not be any serious mechanical or electrical problem. Therefore, once replaced you can have many hours of trouble free gameplay.

Is this hypothesis founded or not. Or did these fuses blow because there was a major load put upon them in that had they been brand new, they still would have blown.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Re: fuse theory
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 09:11:24 PM »
Yes, fuses can fatigue over time and therefore weaken. They are a mechanical device (usually a piece of wire) and are subject to the same stresses as any other mechanical device.

Also remember that the fuse IS NOT there primarily to protect your device - it is there to prevent your house from burning down!
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline andypinboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 09:16:26 PM »
Yes, fuses can fatigue over time and therefore weaken. They are a mechanical device (usually a piece of wire) and are subject to the same stresses as any other mechanical device.

Also remember that the fuse IS NOT there primarily to protect your device - it is there to prevent your house from burning down!

Yep, same for big-ass amps! You don't want any of these things ablaze!
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Austwide

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Frankston
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 11:26:53 PM »
As Homepin said, they weaken from heating up and cooling down, I normally replace a fuse once as a test and then fault find if it blows.

It's strange that fuses would start blowing in different machines at the same time (over a week or so).

Only common thing that comes to mind is check the power point voltage (240V +- 12 volts), it may have changed. Power companies raise or lower voltage tapings to an area sometimes.