Author Topic: What type of scanner has a good focal point?  (Read 452 times)

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
What type of scanner has a good focal point?
« on: April 26, 2009, 07:00:09 PM »
Can any one tell me if they have a scanner with a good focal point?
i want to be able to scan things that won't lye down on the glass. ie. playfields cabinets and so on.
as i have mentioned before in other posts mine gives a blury image if the item being scanned does not fit on the scanner glass and there is a small gap between the glass and the item because the scanner frame.
i would like to buy one that will do the job, and would like to know first which ones do the job.
thanks guys.
beaky
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Re: What type of scanner has a good focal point?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 08:09:58 PM »
The problem will be that the focal point for a flatbed scanner will always be the surface of the glass (this makes sense as otherwise something placed on the glass would be out of focus otherwise!). If you get a scanner where the lid could totally be removed, this might help? You could then hold the scanner up to the object (might need some white paper or cardboard in the background). How small a gap are we talking at the moment - you may be able to find one with a much thinner frame and hence lose less focus.

The other alternative is a handheld scanner with stitching software - some of these were capable of stitching up to A3 size. Don't know if these are still around, but it would make sense that this would be a better solution, as they are designed so that the focal point is where the scanner meets the object being scanned.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 10:14:58 PM by ajlaird »

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 08:46:33 PM »
true true, about all you have written.
i have been looking out for a hand held scanner for a while now but they are very hard to find.
When i do a serarch for hand held scanners all i seem to get are those hand held bar code scanners.
Im sure i have read some where on this forum some one has scanned back glasses. I can't remember who it was, if i did i would send them a p.m.
gap i am talking about is only a couple of mm. but as you said if i could find a scanner with a thinner border then that would help.
i have 2 scanners, 1 is a scanner only the other is a printer scanner combo.
but you have given me an idea, the  stand alone scanner needs the frame to keep the glass inplace which inturn keeps the scanning bar in place.
if i remove the plastic frame and hold the glass inplace with duct tape around the border i think i will have a winner.
thanks again  ^^^ ^^^
the other alternitve is a 3d scanner but they are a bit out of my price range.
i think i will go with the duct tape idea.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 09:05:18 PM »
I have been searching for a handheld or portable scanner as well - with no luck, I have the combo printer/scanner only, so if youre theory works,I might  get a standalone scanner - let us know how you go.
Millsy
pinballaustralia.com

Offline Astroboy

• Forum Posts:
  • In the Shed
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 10:34:46 PM »
Is it possible to remove the top frame and glass section alltogether and just make some spacer legs up to attach to the base? I am very interested in this post...an uncomplicated hack to get a workable system from normal flatbed would be handy.
I am searching for SPACE Themed Electro-Mechanicals.

Marty Machine

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 10:41:38 PM »
Is there a reason why you don't use a digital camera ??

There was a canon scanner (years ago) that focussed nicely at 1-2cm's above the glass.
Nothing has matched this 'fault/feature' since....

MM.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 12:09:22 AM »
You need the HP 4670 flat bed scanner - not available in Aus anymore but is still for sale in NZ. new these go for $400, but they come up on Ebay and sell between $100 - $200.
 I got mine on Ebay - was listed wrong as 4600 ( but is actually correct) scanner and so got by the radar of everyone else chasing these babies.

Scanner is a seperatable fold out - you can remove the actual scanner and place dead flat on a surface. It scans without any blurring - ive blown my scans right up to 100X and still no blurring - awesome stuff.
 The stitching software it comes with is crap - so youll need another.
  I have mine attached to a laptop and so can travel and scan - so watch out if im coming to visit - ill have  my "briefcase" with me!

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 02:28:53 AM »
You need the HP 4670 flat bed scanner - not available in Aus anymore but is still for sale in NZ. new these go for $400, but they come up on Ebay and sell between $100 - $200.
 I got mine on Ebay - was listed wrong as 4600 ( but is actually correct) scanner and so got by the radar of everyone else chasing these babies.

Scanner is a seperatable fold out - you can remove the actual scanner and place dead flat on a surface. It scans without any blurring - ive blown my scans right up to 100X and still no blurring - awesome stuff.
 The stitching software it comes with is crap - so youll need another.
  I have mine attached to a laptop and so can travel and scan - so watch out if im coming to visit - ill have  my "briefcase" with me!
excellent i will try and get one of these.
i need this to scan cabinet + playfield + translite / backglass art work to make cabinet & insert decals as i have mentioned in another thread.
the whole project will still take a few months before i start as there is some experimenting to do to get it right.
the person who owns the printing gear makes adhesive and illuminated signs so it is all possible but will all come down to price in the end.
Anyway i am glad i asked the question, now i know what scanner will do the job properly.
i dont mind spending the money for the scanner, as long as it does the job, i now have this verified. (thank you retropin)

i had a look at my flat bed scanner and the mod i stated earlyer is possible but i would have to cut the top and bottom of the frame as it is moulded.
but the sides of the frame do come off. I have had the glass off before and to memory the glass is sitting on the sides so if i cut the top and bottom and use duct tape it should work. i will do this till i can get the proper scanner and keep you all informed with some pics and the model number.
this would be the easiest way. that way i could remove the bits that get in the way(frame, lid & hinges) and still have the scanning parts in there original housing, it will get me out of trouble.

at the moment i am using a digital camera for the base image but the colours very due to the light source, and they are not sharp enough, so i use the scanned version to get the colour right (see the attached photos) i have not included the scanned photo as it is to big to upload, i still need to do the black outline on the front of one of the shoes.

thankyou all for your input
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 02:49:21 AM by Beaky »

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 08:05:57 AM »
Why dont you get your mate in the sign trade to cut some stencils for you instead of cabinet decals?

If he does vinyl signs which im sure he does, then its a case of vectorising each colour on cab design, resizing and then cutting on his plotter. This way, you can recreate whats on the cabinet and retain a more authentic look.

Stencil vinyl is pretty cheap and so is the low tack clear application paper.

It takes 12 scans to scan a 600 X 600 BG - this has a large overlay on 3 of them. To do a cabinet will take many more, then stitching, printing etc.
 Im just thinking that for the amount of time you are going to spend scanning the cab - stencils would be a little quicker??