Author Topic: Painful gumtree Pinball buyer  (Read 1851 times)

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Re: Painful gumtree Pinball buyer
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 04:06:47 PM »
This guy is clearly a wanker !!@
I would have politely told him to piss off
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 04:09:16 PM by ktm450 »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 04:11:15 PM »
It sounds like he is a purchasing predator who knows his stuff but just does this stuff to get the price down further n further.

Once u shake a mans hand, agree on a price, THAT IS THE PRICE ! Story over, no exclusions ever !
When people do anything else but that, they really are showing their low class and a huge lack of credibility and honour, and it really hits a red flag for their overall personality.

Next time get him to call 1800 333 555 (Lifeline-someone who might care) lol  %.% %.% %.% %.% %.%
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline joele

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 04:52:06 PM »
I think you can see the funny side from the way you wrote  the post, so I hope you don't mind me saying that you gave me a laugh describing the calls!

Yeah it is kind of weird, I cringe that he is calling me again but kind of have a laugh telling people about it afterwards..   *)*

I should have just bought the machine off you.  ... ....

Sticking with other collectors may be safer, I certainly won't bother with gumtree next time, it seems to attract a certain type, heard a few horror stories recently..

Next time get him to call 1800 333 555 (Lifeline-someone who might care) lol  %.% %.% %.% %.% %.%

Well I did send him the 'let me google that for you' link in the end as I like that is says "was that so hard?" at the end   #@#

I don't like being outright rude to people asking for help but I am going to have to be with this guy as he is just taking advantage..  !!@
-----
Current - Dr Who, The Shadow, Judge Dredd, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Star Wars DE

Owned but Sold - Indiana Jones, Revenge from mars, Fish Tales, Tron Pro

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 05:05:06 PM »
Soon as i read that he turned up with a trailer to transport the game i knew where this thread was heading  *!@ *!@

I'm VERY hesitant to sell a machine to just any joe blow who wants to buy one.. i'm more used to selling to a fellow enthusiast or someone i know well. Plus every machine i have sold so far i delivered (in my Camry s/wagon)  and set up the game for them. So far i have had no major nuisance calls like you have just described in this thread.

I've had one guy hassling me to sell/find him a cheap game.. ie about $1000.. now this guy is going to be a real pain as i looked at a sitdown video game for him that had been in storage for six years.. it was rooted and i told him so, now he has given me the game (lucky me..NOT!) and in return i'm supposed to sell him a pin cheap  *!@ he had his eye on my Zac Universe that i'm thinking of selling.. the one i spent over 6 months restoring (there's a resto thread here somewhere).. I havent heard from him in a few months now, as i told him i was snowed under with other peoples pin work and didn't have time to fix the few switch problems the Zac pin currently has (i'm hoping he has forgotten about it)  :lol

After reading this thread i think it might be a bad idea selling this guy the game!! besides that its a Zac EM and they arent the most reliable thing around, he's the type of guy who'd call me with EVERY little minor hiccup it made! and, he's NOT getting it for $1K  *.* *.* *.*  If he gets too persistent and pisses me of enough, i'll likely say 'look mate.. it aint for sale for that price.. now take your f**kn video game back and piss off!!'  :lol That ratty old vid of his is worth nothing to me and has been sitting out on my back verandah for the last 4 months being used as a coffee table  %.% %.%
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 05:08:57 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline joele

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 05:15:22 PM »
Soon as i read that he turned up with a trailer to transport the game i knew where this thread was heading  *!@ *!@

Yeah I bought the wife an outlander so it had 7 seats to help with transporting kids and their friends, but also as pinnies fit perfectly in it ;-)

I'm VERY hesitant to sell a machine to just any joe blow who wants to buy one.. i'm more used to selling to a fellow enthusiast or someone i know well.

I have learned that lesson the hard way ;-)

I did sell my fishtales to my older brother, meaning I will be supporting that one LOL, but at least I can go play it when I want ;-)
-----
Current - Dr Who, The Shadow, Judge Dredd, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Star Wars DE

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 07:25:00 PM »
The buyer did agree "to not call you anymore", so when he calls agin, keep reminding him of that.......
So, when he calls from now on (he will), kindly advise him there's a charge for tech support from now on, $10 per question, or $50 per 30min call, and must be cleared in paypal before you can answer his questions....he wont call back.

I could tell you some other ideas here, or i might just call you lol  !*! !*! !*!

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 10:16:52 PM »
I'm a bit different to some of the replies - when i've sold a machine locally (different story if its hours away), i have mentioned that if anything happens with the machine in the first couple of months, i'm happy to come and help out fix the problem - parts at the buyers expense. I figure there are so few people in the hobby, if i can help a newbie out, they might become more interested and tell their mates about the hobby.  In fact last weekend i went and looked at two machines (one was my old shadow, 2 owners later) nd ended up not charging anything for a few minor repairs, prob drove 50km or so and blew 3 hours.  Both guys were interested and appreciative and learned how to make adjustments/minor repairs themselves. They also said they had a few mates interested in the hobby.

I've had a couple of guys really frustrating who continually ask questions, but over time, they have learned a fair bit from the advice i've given them, so good outcome in my mind.  I just remind myself that this is a hobby, and the only way other people will learn is if we teach them. 100% agree with the sentiment that people should be able to search a bit themselves, but remember some of this is so new (and possibly intimidating) to them, they wouldn't know where to start searching. Some people don't know how to describe a lockdown bar, flippers, pop bumpers, ball trough - all things we take for granted.

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2014, 11:05:21 PM »
These newbies are more than welcome to join AP. I have learned a lot here and it is always better to ask a group rather than an individual.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline joele

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2014, 11:15:54 PM »
This is his 3rd pinball machine, so not exactly brand new to the hobby...  !@#
-----

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2014, 10:07:51 AM »
I'm a bit different to some of the replies - when i've sold a machine locally (different story if its hours away), i have mentioned that if anything happens with the machine in the first couple of months, i'm happy to come and help out fix the problem - parts at the buyers expense. I figure there are so few people in the hobby, if i can help a newbie out, they might become more interested and tell their mates about the hobby.  In fact last weekend i went and looked at two machines (one was my old shadow, 2 owners later) nd ended up not charging anything for a few minor repairs, prob drove 50km or so and blew 3 hours.  Both guys were interested and appreciative and learned how to make adjustments/minor repairs themselves. They also said they had a few mates interested in the hobby.

I've had a couple of guys really frustrating who continually ask questions, but over time, they have learned a fair bit from the advice i've given them, so good outcome in my mind.  I just remind myself that this is a hobby, and the only way other people will learn is if we teach them. 100% agree with the sentiment that people should be able to search a bit themselves, but remember some of this is so new (and possibly intimidating) to them, they wouldn't know where to start searching. Some people don't know how to describe a lockdown bar, flippers, pop bumpers, ball trough - all things we take for granted.

I think there's a line somewhere. What you are doing is what should be done by a Pinball Technician / restorer / seller. You are almost a "dealer". I am put in the same category, even though I don't like it. Effectively, we are selling second hand cars. So we are obligated to provide help post sales, especially to newbies. In many cases, I receive calls from buyers unhappy with after sales support from dealers who should know better.

As a private seller, there are zero obligations. You buy a car privately and your headlights fair after a day, you cannot call the seller 3-4 times with niggling issues. A lamp fails = replace it. That's part of the fun.

The selling process / experience also dictates after sales support. The buyer clearly took up a lot of time, and basically agreed to a price and then tried to negotiate again. That is against "the spirit of the sale". We are no in Bali bartering over a T-Shirt. Once a price is agreed, that's it. The buyer has clearly taken advantage, and the "last straw" for me would be calls from another phone. That's just impolite.

If it was a NEW game, out the box, then the buyer has a right to jump up and down. But the buyer cannot call mobiles at any hour requesting 24 hour support.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2014, 06:11:24 PM »
This is his 3rd pinball machine, so not exactly brand new to the hobby...  !@#

Too common these days, people think they have the right to just use people up.

Offline joele

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2014, 08:45:25 PM »
And after all that bullshit and hammering on price and being a right a$hole he is trying to sell it for a profit right back on gumtree after only a few weeks.. Hope he gets someone as bad as himself..

He has done no work on it and 3 weeks after buying it trying to make a progfit... whatever, never be nice to people on gumtree ^.^

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/vermont/miscellaneous-goods/revenge-from-mars-pinball-machine/1042211055

Can't be he didn't like the game, he knew it well as his brother has the same title..  @.@
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 08:50:46 PM by joele »
-----

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2014, 09:05:19 PM »
Sooooo, let's start asking him some questions & questions and then more questions....  !*! !*! !*! !*!

Offline joele

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2014, 09:31:09 PM »
Sooooo, let's start asking him some questions & questions and then more questions....  !*! !*! !*! !*!

LOL, would be well deserved I think, though would be interesting what he could/couldn't answer...
-----

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2014, 09:54:56 PM »
Can you let us know what he paid for it please? 
Addicted to pins.