Author Topic: Strikes and Spares Restoration  (Read 3478 times)

Offline intopins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Strikes and Spares Restoration
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 05:02:48 PM »
Great looking machine you have now....thanks for the link. Gives me hope that one day I might try the same...

nah, probably not  %.%

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
  • Since I Was A Young Boy I Played The Silver Ball!
    • Strikes and Spares Restoration
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2015, 03:13:32 PM »
Great looking machine you have now....thanks for the link. Gives me hope that one day I might try the same...

Just Do It!!  &&

I hit obstacles for eight years, all sorts of reasons were getting in the way until I just said stuff it, I am buying a pinball machine!

A lot of satisfaction from restoring it yourself  #*#

Cheers: Brettski... :)

nah, probably not  %.%

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2015, 11:18:46 PM »
Nice Dude
how is the White Knight acrylic lear holding up?
good vids too  ^^^
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2015, 10:31:09 PM »
Nice Dude
how is the White Knight acrylic lear holding up?
good vids too  ^^^

The White Knight Crystal Clear Acrylic is holding up extremely well, as I reported in a previous post there is some crazing appearing in the yellow area between the flippers, this is the area that I had to completely redo and is the only place in the playfield this has occurred.. Everywhere else is perfect so it is not because of the Acrylic, I would say it is because I rushed it, this spot had the most work and possibly a little bit more clear and not being left long enough to cure (A) The paint underneath and (B) The Crystal Clear...

The machine has had a few hundred games played on it now and the area mentioned above has not gotten any worse so it makes me believe it has stabilized and confirms my theory.

Based on this perspective I would have no problem using it again at this stage just leave longer to cure..

As for long term we are still yet to see but I am quite optimistic here.

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2015, 10:42:31 PM »
for peoples reference.my son mildflame was restoring a playfield using acrlyic paint from an airbrush.
he tried to seal inbetween coats with the same white night product.it was a total disaster.he had to redo the work to his dissapointment.I have had success doing the same with the airbrush sealing with an airbrush acrlyic clear.the result was perfect.
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2015, 11:44:59 PM »
Well it was a gamble for me! I did seal areas between coats such as the area between the flippers as I replaced the worn numbers and circles with waterslide decals and sprayed the area first with White Knight, once set I applied the decals then more coats of clear, I still think the slight crazing that I can see is from a curing point of view, also it's very slight as I am the only one who has noticed it :)

Studley67,
Did he have a reaction to the paint after applying the clear?

Brettski... :)

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2015, 11:52:17 PM »
yes even after a nights rest.but with  the clear out the airbrush you could re-apply colour after an hour.
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline riverinapinball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2015, 04:55:00 PM »
Looks really nice . I love those late 70s pinnies. I have a Strikes and Spares in storage. Need to make some room and get it home.

Your web page is fantastic . I like your design and use of colours. Really Nice tribute to the game.

Well done.

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2015, 07:44:00 PM »
Looks really nice . I love those late 70s pinnies. I have a Strikes and Spares in storage. Need to make some room and get it home.

Your web page is fantastic . I like your design and use of colours. Really Nice tribute to the game.

Well done.

Thank you!

If you decide to make a start on your Strikes and Spares and there is anything I can help with let me know. :)

Offline riverinapinball

• Forum Posts:
Strikes and Spares Restoration
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2015, 05:44:07 PM »

Well done.

Thank you!

If you decide to make a start on your Strikes and Spares and there is anything I can help with let me know. :)

Brett, thats for the offer.
From memory the machine was working . Just needed the chimes sorted out. Not chiming properly.
I have cpr plastics and repo bumper caps for it.
Dan

Offline pinoffski

• Forum Posts:
  • Wollongong NSW
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2015, 11:27:58 PM »
Nice classic Bally

I always like seeing restorations  @@*

credit to you

Brettski  ^^^

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2015, 09:56:51 PM »
Studley67 an update on the clear coat..

I found a product called Cabbots Cabothane which is a polyurethane clear and is the equivalent to the Americans "Varathane"
I used this on my next project and worked extremely well, this time I wiped it on with a foam brush.

Recommend taking a look at it, Bunnings have it, I used the waterbased as it does not have linseed oil and is supposed to not yellow.

I will be using this on all my resto's in the future..

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2015, 02:08:35 PM »
Update on the Clear Coat!

I have found that KBS Diamomd Finish to be an extremely good product to use after discovering it here on the forums, great to work with, self leveling and excellent finish.

A bit too shiny for the older machines from a purists point of view and I can only imagine it is going to speed the game up somewhat!

It really makes the colours pop, just used it on Cleopatra but it will be a while before I know what it plays like.

Much easier to use than Polyurethane but the poly is more true to the original look and feel of the earlier machines. This stuff makes it look like the finish on the newer playfields, a deeper wet look.

I might post a review comparing the three products I have used so far..

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2015, 07:26:57 PM »

I have found that KBS Diamomd Finish to be an extremely good product to use after discovering it here on the forums, great to work with, self leveling and excellent finish.

A bit too shiny for the older machines from a purists point of view and I can only imagine it is going to speed the game up somewhat!

It really makes the colours pop, just used it on Cleopatra but it will be a while before I know what it plays like.

Much easier to use than Polyurethane but the poly is more true to the original look and feel of the earlier machines. This stuff makes it look like the finish on the newer playfields, a deeper wet look.

Come on Brett stop teasing, where are the photos?

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2015, 10:10:35 PM »

Come on Brett stop teasing, where are the photos?

LOL I will post some pics in my Cleopatra thread, bloody hard to shoot with all the glare and reflection though.. :)

Brettski... :)