Author Topic: how does walnut compare to corn media in a tumbler?  (Read 437 times)

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
how does walnut compare to corn media in a tumbler?
« on: September 28, 2010, 11:16:00 PM »
just a question for the guys who have tumblers and have used both corn cob & walnut media.
which one does a better & quicker job?

as most of you know i have been nickle plating a lot of parts for my ST TNG and most parts i have been using a bench grinder with a buffing attachment.
but some parts you just can't get to everything.
so i have turned to the tumbler again and i am using corn cob media to do the polishing.

before i buy some walnut media i thought i would just ask how the 2 compare

cheers
beaky
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: how does walnut compare to corn media in a tumbler?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 11:36:21 PM »

Walnut is a much courser media, corncob is more of a polisher / finisher. I've heard restorers using one tumbler filled with walnut, and the other filled with corncob. Start off with a tumble in the walnut, then move to corncob.

I'm looking for a new supplier of tumber media, so if anyone has anyone they can recommend, then let me know !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline 48

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 11:37:58 PM »
I use walnut media first for a fast clean. actually I use walnut shells these days but that is a deviation from normal.
I do a finish run with corncob esp when I want the parts super shiny.
Whether or not it is necessary might be up to the individual, its just what I have worked out.

I thought acid bath was the way to prep for plating purposes?
Or is that just for commercial stuff.
I'm no expert  !@#  
Lets go Brandon!

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 12:16:03 AM »
I use walnut media first for a fast clean. actually I use walnut shells these days but that is a deviation from normal.
I do a finish run with corncob esp when I want the parts super shiny.
Whether or not it is necessary might be up to the individual, its just what I have worked out.

I thought acid bath was the way to prep for plating purposes?
Or is that just for commercial stuff.
I'm no expert  !@#  
sorry I didn't explain properly, I am using buffer and tumbler after nickel plating.
I have only just started using the tumbler on the plated parts because up until now i have been doing large, easy to get at pieces and have been getting a mirror finish with the buffer.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline FirePower

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 09:09:56 AM »
I only have very limited experience using crushed walnut shell, but in the research for my diy cheapo tumbler I read much as others have said, that corn cob is more of a polisher than walnut shell.  I also read that some people use brown rice as a polishing media.  Additionally lots of people mention adding novus 3 or car polish into the media.

Nino, these folk sell crushed walnut shell cheap http://www.wellwood.com.au/walshell.htm

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 02:27:05 PM »
thanks guys

Offline 48

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 06:32:25 PM »
I only have very limited experience using crushed walnut shell, but in the research for my diy cheapo tumbler I read much as others have said, that corn cob is more of a polisher than walnut shell.  I also read that some people use brown rice as a polishing media.  Additionally lots of people mention adding novus 3 or car polish into the media.

Nino, these folk sell crushed walnut shell cheap http://www.wellwood.com.au/walshell.htm

Thats the mob I bought my last lot off. Cheap as esp if you live in Vic.
Lets go Brandon!

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 07:26:05 PM »

Anyone know of a cheap corncob media supplier ?

Offline Pajo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 11:33:03 PM »
In my limited experience, I agree with what has been said.  Walnut for items requiring more abrasion. 
I've tried using Novus as an additive and also Brasso but the best results I have had has been with Flitz tumbler additive and untreated walnut shell (which I also got from Wellwood).  The stuff Wellwood sent me was supposed to be fine crushed but had a fair bit of larger shell in that needed sorting.  It also had quite a lot of soft inner husk which was a pain to pick out. 
The treated corn cob media that came with my tumbler was only really effective on items that were already in fairly good condition.  I think you can also get untreated corn cob but don't have any experience with it.

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 02:49:40 AM »
I have found that the corn cob works really well on the parts I have just nickel plated. I have added some brasso to the media and it works well but i would lile to try flitz.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 11:00:02 AM »
I have found that the corn cob works really well on the parts I have just nickel plated. I have added some brasso to the media and it works well but i would lile to try flitz.

I think corncob is what you should be using post nickel plating. Flitz is the only product I use in my tumbler. I've used Brasso and Novus 3, which work well but take twice as long to polish to the level Flitz does in half the time.

Where did you find the corn cob media ?

Offline 48

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 12:18:52 PM »
OK while we are asking questions, where do you get the Flitz Nino?
I have only tried Novus 3   and metal polish.
Lets go Brandon!

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 12:46:43 PM »

I think corncob is what you should be using post nickel plating. Flitz is the only product I use in my tumbler. I've used Brasso and Novus 3, which work well but take twice as long to polish to the level Flitz does in half the time.

Where did you find the corn cob media ?
I bought it from the local gun smith.
Its a box of Lyman corn cob media, 2 pounds cost me $22