Author Topic: A new gamesroom, your opinion is invited  (Read 587 times)

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Re: A new gamesroom, your opinion is invited
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 08:15:37 AM »
If doing this myself I would buy the right block of land with room to build a seperate building or shed for my games room and make sure that council will allow the room to be built as well as the house before buying.

DW Drums rule !

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 02:50:43 PM »
30 green notes whilst it's still shrink wrapped.

$.$
'Tis a pity this is not a 'For sale' thread

Offline Dirty daz

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 02:59:17 PM »

This is the spot that causes the brain to short out  ::)
I already have 27 games, and I think I will stop at around 40  ^^^
if I allow 3 square meters per game, that means I will need 120 square meters of space
that is not counting space for some chairs, maybe a small bar, toilet (so visitor need not have to go into the main house)

I also have simular problems & ideas i have 22 pins 18 set up 5 in storage i feel your pain ^&^

Offline Prince

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 06:45:26 PM »
30 green notes whilst it's still shrink wrapped.

$.$
'Tis a pity this is not a 'For sale' thread

No probs Pete.
SC.

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 07:26:54 PM »
Speaking from experience, keep away from stairs.  I've got WAY to many of them and its a pain in the ar ^.^e
+1 with Marty's opinion. A lot of the guys have seen my old place and know the stairs both inside or out woul dhave put even the most avid collector off pinballs.

I'm building as we speak (yes its started guys  $#$) and its two storey but the games room is on the ground floor and the largest step I ever need to make is 60mm from the garage. What you can do is design a sizeable room and make sure you sound proof it and put a decent door on it. Also minimal windows for max wall space for hanging stuff and pinball space. That's what I'm trying but can't tell you how successful it was for at least another 11 months.

DON'T HAVE STAIRS unless your wife has a strong back  %.%
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 08:27:02 PM »
A purpose built games room seems the best option on 1 level, most new homes have a media room which is far too small!!

A 140m2 minimum required, great value add in my professional opinion.

I have valued some mcmansions in recent times and most these homes have huge rumpus/family areas.

If I was building again I would have a 3 - 4 car garage that's 8.0 mtrs deep plus a rumpus area that backs onto the garage.

Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 11:24:18 PM »
If doing this myself I would buy the right block of land with room to build a seperate building or shed for my games room and make sure that council will allow the room to be built as well as the house before buying.

I think the rules here are that you can build on 60% of the size of the land

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 01:32:10 AM »
Speaking from experience, keep away from stairs.  I've got WAY to many of them and its a pain in the ar ^.^e
+1 with Marty's opinion. A lot of the guys have seen my old place and know the stairs both inside or out woul dhave put even the most avid collector off pinballs.

I'm building as we speak (yes its started guys  $#$) and its two storey but the games room is on the ground floor and the largest step I ever need to make is 60mm from the garage. What you can do is design a sizeable room and make sure you sound proof it and put a decent door on it. Also minimal windows for max wall space for hanging stuff and pinball space. That's what I'm trying but can't tell you how successful it was for at least another 11 months.

DON'T HAVE STAIRS unless your wife has a strong back  %.%

Excellent to hear you are building. Congrats on the new and large size pinball room. Well done and cant wait to see it turn out well, which it will ofcourse. I would be very excited with a purpose built pinball room. They should teach that at tech for every Aussie Builder. Hell yes.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ and Pete. let us all know what u decide to do. Pinballs in storage is a bummer for sure, but hey, once you have them, you have them forever ! another hell yes.  ^^^ ^^^
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 01:33:41 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2010, 03:42:24 PM »
OK, I have spent the last few weeks looking at land
Found some blocks that I could build the two story house by digging into the slope, but unless I did some serious terracing, I would have no usable backyard or front yard.
so I would also have to deal with stairs, step driveway (just like a few of you said)
Plus I know if there is a small maintenance job the tools/parts are going to be in the garage, not in the basement
So basement games room, 10/10 for cool, minus several million for being practical

So that leaves either a games room or a games shed
I am thinking first of  an attached games room
I still would prefer about 120 square meters (for the games room), add that to a modest house, and that then become a huge house

Now I will probably have to find a wider than usual block to fit it on

I knew I should have taken up stamp collecting *!@

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2010, 07:39:27 PM »
OK, I have spent the last few weeks looking at land
Found some blocks that I could build the two story house by digging into the slope, but unless I did some serious terracing, I would have no usable backyard or front yard.
so I would also have to deal with stairs, step driveway (just like a few of you said)
Plus I know if there is a small maintenance job the tools/parts are going to be in the garage, not in the basement
So basement games room, 10/10 for cool, minus several million for being practical

So that leaves either a games room or a games shed
I am thinking first of  an attached games room
I still would prefer about 120 square meters (for the games room), add that to a modest house, and that then become a huge house

Now I will probably have to find a wider than usual block to fit it on

I knew I should have taken up stamp collecting *!@

Sloped blocks are an effing nightmare - unless you know someone in the earthmoving business...

Digging into a block is okay - but then you have the problem of retaining walls & drainage, remember the "PAPA" pictures doing the rounds?  @.@

Dunno what it's like up there - where I am, 15.5m is considered a wide block... 600sq/m is considered a good size too!

Maybe go out of town a few k's - get a semi-rural setup? (What I am aiming to do myself one day - f**k suburbia!)  ^^^
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2010, 10:18:06 PM »
I was going to say, take all three options simultaneously! But that is not practical.

Having read through the thread, I am thinking a shed may be the best option. The advantage of a shed is that if you ever need to move then the property will be easier to sell, in my opinion, than a house with a large games-room. Plenty of people will appreciate a decent shed.