Author Topic: Payment to PBR  (Read 3596 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Payment to PBR
« on: May 19, 2011, 11:27:05 PM »
Nino,
I am missing something with PBR ? unlike Bay Area or Marco Spec, RTBB, Pinballsales, or Pinballspareparts, they have NO proper website and you can never find any parts for any of your machines.

Everyone says they are a great resource, but with my 30 machines (consisting of every manufacturer), how do i get prices and stock availability from this company.
* It doesnt make any sense to me. What am i missing ? how can i possibly spend my money with these guys if u cant find the part or the price ? If i sent them a email, it would contain hundreds of parts enquiries ? which isnt going to be practical.

Any advice on this ? I would like to use them, but i just cant see how.  !@#

"you can never find any parts for any of your machines" - Just because PBR don't have pretty pictures and tickboxes, does not mean they don't have the parts in stock.

PBR have been supporting the hobby LONGER than anyone else in the Business. Steve Young is a collector and hobbyist. Some people (including myself) credit Steve as being one of the "forefathers" of the hobby. To give you an idea of his inventory, add all the other parts suppliers in the USA together, and they still don't have the same stock as PBR. PBR SUPPLY other parts suppliers. His staff have never had the time to catalog and list his inventory, it would be impossible. Instead, they rely on people to research their machines and have a parts manual handy with the spare part number. You can't just call up and expect him to TELL you the part number, there are just too many.

Every machine ever produced has a service manual. They list most of the parts. Then there are specific spare part manuals. Everything goes back to these manuals. I collect spare parts manuals. I have spare parts manuals that go back to the 1940s. If I type in these part numbers into the e-commere sites, it draws a blank. If I email PBR with a part number, they usually have the part, or they can put me in touch with someone who might help. When I order, I am emailing a person who can give me an educated answer. Can't do that on an e-commerce site. Switch off the computers, I can still order parts from PBR. Can't do that with Marco, BAA etc..

Ever try ordering decals from Marco ? US$30 MINIMUM charge for "postage and handling".
PBR would send it in an envelope and charge you for the ACTUAL postage.

PBR are almost ALWAYS cheaper with the price of the part and shipping and handling. You just have to "pull your finger out" and do some of the hard yards instead of relying on pretty pictures with tickboxes.

As always, I support the local guys when possible. I buy from Greg often and I've never had a single issue.

OK, that advice settles it.    PBR is definately not for me if they only have mostly Gottlieb, which i have a few of only, and their order system is just too old hat for me.

RTBB like Marty said is fine, but they seem to only have ramps and ramp decals unless there is a different website to the one i have.

Marco's and Mark C seem to still be the easiest to spend money with. I will say that it is great that Gottlieb owners do have PBR because Gottlieb stuff seems to be few n far between with everyone else.

You will find that PBR stock MOST of the parts available on other supplier's web sites. In fact PBR would be one of their biggest suppliers. I can understand why owners of later machines don't go to PBR, it does require a bit more effort and knowledge of the machines, and people like to see what they are buying - pretty pictures and tickboxes etc. That's fine with me. But I've placed orders for Bally / Williams machines from PBR and they were 30-40% cheaper than Marco etc..

Case in point ;

Bally Williams DMD display - took me three searches on their slow website, but here's Marco's

http://www.marcospecialties.com/product.asp?ic=DMD32

That's US$189 + a minimum of $40 Shipping

http://www.pbresource.com/display.html

Scroll down to the bottom of the page - now what's the price on EXACTLY THE SAME ITEM ??

$138.60 + ACTUAL Shipping cost.

Lets leave out the shipping cost. It took me longer to search on Marco's SLOOOOOOW website. By the time I've logged in, found the item and paid the rediculous shipping cost, I could have sent an email to PBR with the part number (DIS-128X32ASY) - actually, all part numbers different manufacturers use are denoted.

That's a US$50 saving just by sending an email. If I added the shipping cost, it would be PLENTY more.

I USED to compare orders Marco, Action Pinball, BAA & PBR and there's no comparison for price and service. But I DO understand WHY people don't order from PBR, and to be honest, it's their "loss".

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia