Author Topic: ?? All VERY Quiet on the Western Front !  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
?? All VERY Quiet on the Western Front !
« on: February 18, 2015, 07:39:10 AM »
I have noticed that the amount of people posting that they have added a new title to their collection has died dramatically over the last 12 to 24 months ?

Is this because the mass container imports and cheap prices and glut of titles have mostly ceased around 2 years ago ? Or is it the economy the last few years or just the fact that no one has any room left and most people have their collections finished ?

Prices also seem to have risen dramatically for 2nd hand 90,s DMDs and even 80,s titles.

Why is it so quiet on the purchasing front compared to a few years ago and the previous 3 or 4 years of mass purchases ?

Are you selling, buying or content ?
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Re: ?? All VERY Quiet on the Western Front !
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 08:39:07 AM »
No space

NIB prices are too high
A pinball machine is a toy. At $6000 it is an extravagance, at $10,000  + it is silly
Also the LE model is silly too, asking for an  extra $2000 for $500 worth of extras is treating us like mugs

Used prices are too high

No space

I have decided that I already have a great collection , if the games that are on my want list pop up, great
But WTB  ads have never worked to me
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 08:44:58 AM by Pop Bumper Pete »

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 08:39:36 AM »
Selling, no
Buying, no
Content, yes
Eased off on pinball as I am doing major landscaping around the house. Oh, and the delivery of a new XR8 should be any day now. My wife says no to any new baby pinball.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 08:46:29 AM »
Selling, no
Buying, no
Content, yes
Eased off on pinball as I am doing major landscaping around the house. Oh, and the delivery of a new XR8 should be any day now. My wife says no to any new baby pinball.

I am going to miss xr8 and ss commodores

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 09:13:07 AM »
Selling, no
Buying, no
Content, yes

Yeah, it will be all quiet on the Western Front. I had to buy the last run as it is a great piece of Aussie history.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:14:53 AM by Freiherr »
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline andypinboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 09:22:25 AM »
I'm new to the hobby - but the reason why buying now is just hit my 40s, house & extension paid off, so happy to spend on different toys. Just 2 pins purchased in past 2 months - Shadow & Demolition Man. So I'm buying - plan is 6 machines as that fits pool/ games room wall. From what I've seen, prices for very good to excellent 90s Bally & Williams (the only machines I'm really after) are up $1k(ish) on just 1 to 2 years ago. I think the hobby is alive & well - & the techs/ parts sellers are driving 335is or AMGs rather than XR8s  $!&  I also think there's more families now that want just one nice pin in the house, & they buy 90s rather than new for nostalgia.
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 09:31:41 AM »
Mass container imports have increased in the last 1-2 years. In fact, I had to change my business to cater for the second hand DMD demand. I'd say in the last 5 years, demand has not been higher for quality, restored machines. Prices have increased, but workmanship has declined. Repairs have increased in the last 12 months.

NIB Sterns have stalled mainly due to price, and many are waiting for the pre order boutique games to be released as their cash is tied up on these games. I know 2 Stern LE buyers that love their TWD LE, but it was their last LE game.

This time of year is always quiet - people coming off holiday mode and start saving again. I think most NIB are waiting for the next few titles and a price drop before (if) they start buying again. The second hand market is still doing well - but this is traditionally a slow period.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 03:07:15 PM »

like ^^^

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
?? All VERY Quiet on the Western Front !
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 03:48:15 PM »
The new XR8 is a nice car shame it's a Ford lol if rumors are correct the VF series 2 SS will have the HSV 340kw engine VERY NICE.

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 04:27:28 PM »
No shortage of buyers, just that most of the customers I have are not affiliated with either of the forums. I am recommending to any person who buys a machine from me that they sign up to AP as the advice given here for fault finding diagnosis is unsurpassed.

I have also found recently that there is an insatiable demand for WELL PRICED operational project machines. Buyers are quite happy to purchase multiple project machines in this instance, particularly when the prices are realistic and commensurate with the condition.

PopBumperPete is right, used prices are too high particularly for project machines that have the caveat of, "we haven't even plugged it in yet" included in the auction listing. Talk about a cop out. What kind of incompetent techs do they employ at a business which deals primarily with used pinball machine sales where powering up a machine is too much effort for them? Less time spent on forums toadying up to the leadership and more time spent on fixing pins methinks.

Having catered primarily to the high end restored market for quite some time I was getting bored with dealing with the same meticulous requirements and the same range of inquiries so this is a great situation to be in now.  As NIB prices go up and up, as money gets tighter and as people try to make their purchasing dollar go further (bang for buck), I predict this market segment to expand exponentially in the future.

Offline Sinbad79

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 04:35:56 PM »
what kind of affordable projects do you have available at the moment pinsanity?

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 04:46:59 PM »
what kind of affordable projects do you have available at the moment pinsanity?

Hi Sinbad/Evan,

Sorry I don't sell projects directly through the forum. The sales for these now are bordering close to commercial quantities for me by my own objective standard and I am not a sponsor. I have too much respect for AP to try and circumvent that.

Thanks.

Offline Sinbad79

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 05:06:08 PM »
well that was fun.

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 05:19:11 PM »
well that was fun.

That doesn't open new doors, that only closes them forever.

I do remember now your initial contact a few months ago demanding a list/condition and prices (when the machines at that stage hadn't even landed in the country @.@) and when I hadn't answered within 24 hours used the same sarcastic tone as you are doing here.

Offline Sinbad79

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 05:27:18 PM »
Nothing wrong with trying to get in early. To be fair you didnt respond at all.
All good bro.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 05:29:55 PM by Sinbad79 »