Author Topic: Whats the best ereader  (Read 314 times)

Offline faza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Whats the best ereader
« on: December 05, 2011, 01:06:45 PM »
I am looking at buying my old man an e reader for xmas and would appreciate any advice
It must be able to use downloadedr epub books from torrent sites as well as purchased books .
It also must be simple to use.
Thanks

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
Re: Whats the best ereader
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 01:14:58 PM »
As it is for your dad, make sure it is easy on your eyes.
My wife has a kindle and is quite happy with it.
pinballaustralia.com

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 01:20:58 PM »
For me - the best one is a BOOK!!!

It's just another "thing" to look after, re-charge, lose, break down and just generally waste more of your life.….

But that's just me..............
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 03:15:55 PM »

It's just another "thing" to look after, re-charge, lose, break down and just generally waste more of your life.….

But that's just me..............

I agree, but for diferent reasons, I often wonder how people can read an entire book on a monitor, my eyes strain enough if I have to spend a couple of hours on a computer.
Plus there is something about a physical book, the smell, the feel, bit like a real pinball vs. pinmame  :lol

Anyway back on to topic...

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 03:22:24 PM »

Yep , I am sticking with books too !  :D
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 06:14:55 PM »
Yea me personally, I prefer books too because mostly I tend to read reference books which tend to have lots of illustrations and photos. Yea I know... picture books  :lol. They don't translate as well to a Kindle as straight text does.
But a friend showed me a Kindle his kids bought for him lately and for someone who reads for pleasure, i.e. lots of fiction and such, the thing looks great. Very convenient, tidy and the type of monochrome monitors on them only use power to "turn pages" and almost nothing otherwise, so I guess a battery charge lasts a very long time compared to cell phones & laptops or the like. It appears to be very easy on the eyes and i guess the books are easy to purchase and pretty inexpensive compared to paper books (so I'm told). They will still interpret other files such as .pdf, but apparently doesn't do that great a job at it, or is at least much more klunky as you need to zoom and scroll etc.

Anyway, my buddy is a techno nerd like me except he likes to read novels for pleasure a lot and he likes the Kindle his kids gave him quite a bit.

For what that's worth.
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 06:31:51 PM »
my brothers girlfriend has a version of kindle, the most expensive model, and its set up whereby you select "autoread" and the thing reads to u like a person is sitting next to you reading it. apparently it is like when u choose the voice on your satnav etc, and can pick a male or female voice, english or aussie accent or american and so on.

if that model is avail at the right price, you could lay on your bed, close your eyes and listen to someone reading u a book !  

Now, thats some technology that is worthwhile. you just have to buy the audio and typed version from the kindle store which costs a bit more for each title.

imagine captain janeway or captain picard reading you a star trek novel, way cool.   ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 08:49:09 PM »
Thanks for all the replies I use my tablet to read and it is great you can read at night silently turning pages and not disturbing she who must be obeyed I also have about thirty books waiting to be read.
You can also enlarge the text so that you dont need glasses which is a bonus.
But what I am unsure of is ereaders can they also use downloaded epub files and the pluses and minuses of the different types looking to spend about $120 and it must be simple to use as he's an old bigger.
You can also borrow books without leaving home from your local library great for the elderly.
Thanks

Offline Timelord

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 02:17:01 AM »
Faza, I found it very hard to concentrate on your reply to this thread, that avatar is shall we say distracting  &&

I looked into this 3 months ago and now the Kindle is available direct in Australia, for price and features and available content it is unbeatable
He who laughs last......thinks slowest