Author Topic: Creature Hologram Mod - USA LCD  (Read 30601 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: Creature Hologram Mod - USA LCD
« on: January 18, 2013, 07:50:29 AM »
Update from these guys is:

It’s been awhile since I posted anything, so here’s a quick update regarding the project:

We finished up with all of the electrical testing last week and now have the prototype system (both monitor and processor) powering directly from the machine regardless of whether it’s a foreign or domestic model. We’ve also added hardware to our interface board that will allow us to utilize unregulated DC voltage sources, so now any insert light in the machine can be used as an event trigger. We’ve also added an additional trigger input, so there are a total of nine system inputs now instead of eight. The ninth trigger bit will be used to emulate the original hologram design (meaning it will flash an image in conjunction with “FILM” letters and play a multiball video when the creature is located during game play), only we are giving you the ability to load your own video/picture files. It will work as follows; the interface board will be equipped with a jumper (to control the ninth trigger bit) that when in place will enable the system to function per our vision. When the jumper is removed the system will function as the hologram was originally design. When the jumper is removed the system will play whatever image you want to flash for the “FILM” letter awards and whatever video file you load for the multiball video. We feel this approach provides the most flexible solution possible. If you like our artwork package and approach you’ve got it. If you are a purest and want to emulate the original you’ve got it. Once the product is released we will have a YouTube video that will walk you through how to load your own video and picture files (so more on that later).

I can also announce that we have selected a monitor for the finished product. Our system will utilize an Insignia 18.5” LED HD 720P HDTV for the monitor (Model: NS-19E310A13). Here is a link to the monitor we are using: http://www.insigniaproducts.com/products/televisions/NS-19E310A13.html

We tested numerous monitors during the development of this MOD and this one made the grade. Our criteria was as follows, we wanted a monitor that was HD rated, utilized actual HDMI video connections instead of composite video connections, was powered via 12VDC, and large enough to completely fill the lagoon window. One of my pet peeves with the original hologram design is that you can see the inside of the cabinet when the hologram is lit. The larger monitor eliminates that scenario entirely. We also wanted to use a stock monitor that’s available anywhere instead of some custom LCD screen that’s hard to find if you ever need to replace it. The insignia TVs are available at BestBuy or can be purchased via the internet. We are finalizing the monitor stand and should have some more info on that very soon. I’ll keep you guys posted.

I’ve received several inquiries regarding the monitor, specifically whether or not we will provide the monitor with the MOD. Let me clarify, the MOD will be offered with or without the monitor (you decide which option is best for you). However, keep in mind that if we provide the monitor it will ultimately cost you the consumer more money. This is due to the added costs associated with double shipping (us getting the monitor and then sending it to you). Also, the monitor is the largest component in the system, so it will increase our finish product shipping costs. Hope this info helps.

We should be making a decision regarding the boards (who we will subcontract the work to) by the end of this week or early next week. That along with the mounting hardware will dictate the final price of the MOD. I have several machine shops quoting the stands for me, so that price should be determine shortly. Once the PCB manufacture is selected we will start a preorder thread. The boards will take anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks to produce. I know the timeline stinks, but we decided it was silly to try and surface mount all the PCB components ourselves.
The MOD (as sold without the monitor) would include all cabling necessary, so we’d include the HDMI and 12VDC power cables. We want the system to be plug and play. You mount the monitor on the stand and hookup all the cables as outlined in a YouTube installation video and you’re ready to go.

Early on we decided not to mount the monitor to the bottom of the playfield; that limited the monitor’s size and add unnecessary complexity to the mounting system. Plus, it adds weight to the playfield. In order to accommodate a larger monitor (for reasons previously mentioned) we have designed a stand that sits in the bottom of the cabinet. This also gave us the ability to adjust the screen’s placement (forward and backward). So, if you are taller you can move the screen further back in the cabinet and if you are shorter you can move it closer to the coin door.

https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts