Author Topic: Wms Travel Time  (Read 3865 times)

Offline FirePower

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Re: Wms Travel Time
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2010, 10:10:09 AM »
Looks great, it will be stunning to see before and after pics side by side.

When you use the clear book covering contact to mask areas for painting at what stage during the paint drying do you lift it up?

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2010, 01:13:01 PM »
The weather can be a real pain sometimes.     Is that clock flat??   as it looks like its 3d in the photos

Not sure what you mean Daniel, what have you been drinking??  :lol :lol :lol :lol  sorry mate just joking

No seriously the pf IS flat, just the camera angle distorted the pic a bit i think, as i got in close for the pics. i can assure you its all good in the flesh, nice n symetrical ^^^

so long as Cam is happy with what im doing on his pf I'M happy

Whats that bloody game with the spinning wheel in the middle of the PF? Gofers?

The photo give the illusion that the round graphics you have touched-up, is one of those wheel things!

Looks seriously nice - when are you moving to Melbourne?  #@#

EDIT: Drinking? If Daniel has got stuck into what's behind his bar - he might be a bit quiet for the next few days...  **)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 01:19:41 PM by shansta »
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2010, 07:27:01 PM »
Looks great, it will be stunning to see before and after pics side by side.

When you use the clear book covering contact to mask areas for painting at what stage during the paint drying do you lift it up?

i usually remove the contact soon as the paint is dry to touch, being acrylic paint.. means about 30 mins. The paint has to be touch dry, i have had problems lately of the new paint lifting when the contact is removed  ^&^ mainly due to the crappy weather here and the paint not drying quick enough.. and me being impatient  :lol

this didnt happen with the fluoro paints, which is an enamel i think, and i was able to remove the contact before the the paint had fully dried with no problems.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2010, 07:38:38 PM »
okay, today i spent some time removing and re-levelling a few inserts.

The ones in the first couple of pics i sanded flat before reglueing them back into the pf.

last two pics, these inserts werent too bad so i left them in place, just making sure they were level, tapping them up slightly, and running some superglue into the joins, then touching up the black circles. I did this by hand using waterbased acrylic and a fine brush. I still had a bit of fixing up to do when these pics were taken, just some scraping back with a scalpel where i had slipped a bit due to hand shake ( most noticeable in the 3rd pic), which has since been done.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2010, 07:44:52 PM »
heres a bit of a 'before and after' of a couple of the insert surrounding paint touchups. On these in addition to doing the black, i also did the fluoro orange as well, jonce again using a fine brush.

3rd pic shows the start of repairing the top rollover lane area where some dickhead had drilled two holes  ^&^

here i  have cleaned it up a bit with a drill bit to remove the raised bits where the screw had raised the wood in preparation for filling.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2010, 07:54:50 PM »
i used a tiny bit of auto body filler to fill the holes, same as i did on my Quickdraw pf.

Once it had dried i carefully sanded it flat with some 80 grit sandpaper, some of the lettering WAS removed in this step, which was hard to avoid!

3rd pic shows the yellow touchup, done once again with waterbased acrylic, the colour i used is called cadmium yellow, and matched pretty well, it looks better in the flesh than in the pics ^^^

And finally the missing/damaged text was re-done, using the same fluoro pink i did the other touchups with, i just sprayed some paint into the lid off the spraycan, and painted the text back in with the fine brush. It took some time to get it to look the way it does in the last pic here.. was fiddly to do but i think i have it to a point where it looks acceptable.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 02:42:55 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2010, 09:48:59 PM »
Time for another update::

1st pic shows the next area i would be fixing.. Originally i planned only on redoing the fluoro orange here and leaving the white as it was, it was ok with only slight pinhole wear spots. But i decided to redo it as well for a couple of reasons; One so it would match the rest of the already repainted white areas, and two; since i had to paint a white basecoat for the orange it just made sense to just do the lot white and then mask off and spray on the orange, which would make things easier and give a better end result.

After giving the area a light sand back wwith 400 grit wet&dry, first thing i had to do was to trace the area onto tracing paper so i could mark in later where the 'special' text and where the bits to be painted orange and pink had to be masked off. I ended up utilising a little trick i had used on the Wildfyre pf, by going over the black line marked area with a fine sharpie pen before spraying on the white. Sharpie ink has a tendancy to bleed back up thru paint a bit so i make use of that to give me a guide later on as to where the black lines and markings are, (did this for the "special" text and the pink triangled area around the "start clock" text. Anyway after sanding and masking off for the white, i had to wipe the area with Prepsol first and THEN do the black sharpie where i wanted it to show thru the paint.

4th pic shows after the white had been sprayed.. the sharpied markings are hard to see due to the camera flash but they showed up enough for me to use them later on.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2010, 09:57:53 PM »
Ok.. 1st pic i have re-marked in the black lines and "special" text. this was after i had given the paint a sand back with 400 wet&dry and windex.

next i masked off for the pink paint and applied it.

In the last pic, im marling put where the orange paint will go... i stuck the contact down first, then placed a piece of carbon paper down , then the tracings done earlier, and simply traced the outline for the orange onto the carbon paper.. ready to be cut out with a scalpel!! worked a treat!!

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2010, 10:05:35 PM »
In the 1st pic here you can see the outline for the orange traced onto the contact.

The 'special' lettering i sprayed straight over it with the orange, planning on hand painting it in later, which you can see i have started on in the last pic.. still some tidying up to here, ie the black will be retouched up on the text once im finished with the white.. its still a little patchy at the moment, it'll take another coat or two to get it all uniform. will be redone tomorrow arvo..

Also i have to redo the 'when lit' text.... no i havent forgotten it! :lol :lol that will be done last
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 10:08:47 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2010, 08:20:42 PM »
Time for another update:

well the touchups are now finished  $#$

Spent the last couple of weekends, re-doing the fluoro orange at the top of the pf, as well as rest of the white areas so they all match. And today i finished off the area above the flippers, re-doing the missing text. YES the "or" and "when lit" are waterslide decals, so dont crucify me for using them. these were made from a new laser printer decal paper i found and i had been keen to try. Unlike the inkjet decal paper it is not necessary to spray clear acrylic over these decals before using them, meaning they should be less noticeable under the mylar.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2010, 08:24:50 PM »
Here is a shot of the PF, touchups all done and ready for the mylar application. and a pic of the mylar being cut and made ready to apply.

also i forgot to mention, that i sanded and re-cleared the top arch section.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2010, 08:28:53 PM »
and finally pics of the mylar going on... and the end result!!

Now its almost ready for reassembly $#$
i just have to cut out the areas wher posts etc screw down, and cut out rollover slots, target holes etc.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2010, 08:54:19 PM »
man i love your posts Mitch always very inspiring that has come up a treat  ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2010, 11:49:13 PM »

The mylar application is excelent - Do you block sand to get all the touch-ups level ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2010, 08:24:22 AM »
Top work Mitch  ^^^ Excellent results there.

Cheers
Dave
I need more room ! and more $$$