Author Topic: Flight 2000 Playfield arrives !  (Read 289 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Flight 2000 Playfield arrives !
« on: March 25, 2011, 10:39:19 PM »

FINALLY - after years of waiting for the playfield to be released, MY Flight 2000 playfield arrived today  $#$

I've bought 8 reproduction playfields, and I'm never disappointed. Again, CPR have done an awesome job at reproducing a playfield which may not have been high on their priority list, or been a game that justified a repro playfield, but I know Kevin owns this title and has a high opinion of it.

It has been worth the wait. I know there are knockers of their products (usually people who have never bought from them or had a need for a repro part to save a game), but I'll let the pictures do the talking !

Something arrived in the mail today (three days early)

I love unpacking these goodies

$#$ $#$

Plan is to let the playfield settle for a few months, and during that time, I will restore one of the two machines I have, right up to the point of the playfield swap. I have a repro backglass and plastics to go into this machine.

Unfortunately, there is no plan to repro the "Freefall" playfield, but I have my two favorite Sterns in the collection, so I'm more than happy !

Restoration thread SOON

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Flight 2000 Playfield arrives !
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 10:44:15 PM »
Looks good t me and if your happy then I Doupt anyone could fault it.    I like the look of the top right corner does the ball get kicked along by kickers???

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 11:11:55 PM »
Well done NINO that looks fantastic can't wait for the rest thread

Peter <..>

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 11:19:10 PM »

Daniel - the top left area is the multiball launch. Three balls are captured and then you drop the targets for multiball.  That's from memory - the LAST time I remember playing this was 20 years ago. Yes there is an advnace unit and two kickers that launch multiball - unique to Stern. Same unit used in Freefall.

There are some youtube vids, here is a good one;

I would like to complete the collection of rarer Stern Widebodies - Flight 2000, Freefall, Viper and Split Second. My father operated a Big Game from the old days and I wish he kept it !

Offline Ballywannabe

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 12:09:28 AM »
Looks good Nino :D  Wonder how far off mine is?? Have not heard anything since I sent the $$ off a few weeks ago.

While you are collecting Stern widebodies, don't forget Cheetah, Iron Maiden and Orbitor 1!

To get multiball on Flight 2000 you have to lock the first two balls, spell "BLAST OFF", then complete the 5-1 countdown on the target bank, THEN shoot the lock lane for bulk points and multiball - no easy feat.

cheers
Ian

Offline chris288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 01:14:02 AM »
Looks good Nino :D  Wonder how far off mine is?? Have not heard anything since I sent the $$ off a few weeks ago.

While you are collecting Stern widebodies, don't forget Cheetah, Iron Maiden and Orbitor 1!

To get multiball on Flight 2000 you have to lock the first two balls, spell "BLAST OFF", then complete the 5-1 countdown on the target bank, THEN shoot the lock lane for bulk points and multiball - no easy feat.

cheers
Ian

Shouldn't be far away Ian, Mine arrived Tuesday, all in all it took 12 days.

Offline chris288

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 01:32:06 AM »

Daniel - the top left area is the multiball launch. Three balls are captured and then you drop the targets for multiball.  That's from memory - the LAST time I remember playing this was 20 years ago. Yes there is an advnace unit and two kickers that launch multiball - unique to Stern. Same unit used in Freefall.

I would like to complete the collection of rarer Stern Widebodies - Flight 2000, Freefall, Viper and Split Second. My father operated a Big Game from the old days and I wish he kept it !

I agree Nino, I would love all the Stern widebodies.
F2K was always a favourite of mine. Out of all the places I ever played pinball I only ever came across 1 F2K in a place called ( I think ) Split Second Amusements in Barrack st Perth. From memory they also had Cheetah and Big Game and maybe Meteor. Meteor's were everywhere in Perth, But I only ever recall seeing 1 of each F2K, Big Game, Cheetah and Freefall.

Freefall I think was the most challenging game of the lot because a fair bit of luck more than skill was required to get multiball. I played it about 4 months ago at a guys place that I have bought a few things off over the years and he is selling it but wants around $3k. If it were absolutely Mickey Mouse perfect with new BG and Playfield and cab respray I would say it was worth it but the condition its in realistically its worth only $1300.

But yeah, sad that it will mosty likely never be repro'd but understandable considering the costs involved by CPR to actually do it.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 12:28:52 PM »

cheers
Ian

They were sent in batches. Craig (Wonder) recieved his a week before mine. I recieved a confirmation email before it left Canada. You can email Kevin just to ask about its progress.

I'm not really keen on Orbitor 1. Cheetah and Iron Maiden don't really "grab" me as much as Flight 2000 and Freefall. I'd rather own a Lightning, which I have a really nice playfield of sitting in storage !

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 12:32:22 PM »

I agree Nino, I would love all the Stern widebodies.
F2K was always a favourite of mine. Out of all the places I ever played pinball I only ever came across 1 F2K in a place called ( I think ) Split Second Amusements in Barrack st Perth. From memory they also had Cheetah and Big Game and maybe Meteor. Meteor's were everywhere in Perth, But I only ever recall seeing 1 of each F2K, Big Game, Cheetah and Freefall.

Freefall I think was the most challenging game of the lot because a fair bit of luck more than skill was required to get multiball. I played it about 4 months ago at a guys place that I have bought a few things off over the years and he is selling it but wants around $3k. If it were absolutely Mickey Mouse perfect with new BG and Playfield and cab respray I would say it was worth it but the condition its in realistically its worth only $1300.

But yeah, sad that it will mosty likely never be repro'd but understandable considering the costs involved by CPR to actually do it.

I've only ever seen one Freefall for sale in Australia. I guess that's why the price is so high. Mine has a lot of playfield wear, but I'll get one of the resident playfield gurus to address that !

The story behind the Flight 2000 repro was the ONLY reason it was done is because it is one of Kevin's favorite (if not his favorite) machines. He owns one and wanted to repro everything. Being a Stern, there were no licensing hassles.

I'm glad he chose it. Freefall will never be reproduced - I already asked  !!!

Offline solar value

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 05:16:32 PM »
Looks like a great game, thanks for posting the video link.

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 11:32:28 PM »
Looking sweeeeeeet Nino.  The colours on that board are so vivid!  Was this a case where the original PF was well beyond restoration?  Will the cabinet be getting a good overhaul as well?  With new plastics and BG, the full 9 yards would be tempting with the cabinet.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 12:25:17 AM »
Looking sweeeeeeet Nino.  The colours on that board are so vivid!  Was this a case where the original PF was well beyond restoration?  Will the cabinet be getting a good overhaul as well?  With new plastics and BG, the full 9 yards would be tempting with the cabinet.

Original playfield is shot. Could not be restored 5 years ago, but with the talented guys on this forum, it might be able to be saved. The cabinet is really nice, no need to repaint it. This title is a definte keeper, and I'm eager to start it !

Offline Ballywannabe

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 11:44:58 PM »
Hey, I got my playfield today $#$ $#$ $#$ $#$

What can I say - it is truly stunning.  Without running a magnifying glass over it, there are NO faults in the clearcoat that I can see.  Unfortunately it will be some time before it gets installed, but it is going to make for a stunning machine.  Nino, I can understand why you were so excited to get this piece of art.  I just hope all the dimples and holes are in the right spots - you can be the Ginnie pig %$%

cheers
Ian

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 11:56:38 PM »
Hey, I got my playfield today $#$ $#$ $#$ $#$

What can I say - it is truly stunning.  Without running a magnifying glass over it, there are NO faults in the clearcoat that I can see.  Unfortunately it will be some time before it gets installed, but it is going to make for a stunning machine.  Nino, I can understand why you were so excited to get this piece of art.  I just hope all the dimples and holes are in the right spots - you can be the Ginnie pig %$%

cheers
Ian

No worries Ian !

I look at my playfield every day - a constant reminder, so I will start it soon as the Fathom is done.