Author Topic: Sinbad startup and 1000 chime.  (Read 1205 times)

Offline Sinbad79

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Sinbad startup and 1000 chime.
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 10:21:58 AM »
Just another view on this...
Have you checked you are getting the correct voltages out of the power supply, ie 60V? If its too low you will have intermittent boot issues.

Also, Clay's guide has a video (search youtube for Clays System1) where he talks you through the boot up sequence to help you diagnose where the problem might be.

Offline Klondike

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 07:41:21 PM »
A1J1 on the MPU (from power supply) can cause intermittent booting problems like you describe.. i have the same issue with my Buck Rogers where it sometimes wont boot up until i reseat the A1J1 connector, (one of these days i'll actually get around to repinning it)  :D try repinning that connector.

Personally i would be doing ALL of the connectors and be done with it.. it really is the only way to ensure reliable operation and will most likely eliminate the problems you're having. Also make sure the connector contacts on the boards are clean if they havent already been cleaned.
Yeah, I'll do that...it sounds like you should be taking your own advice with the repinning %$%

Offline Klondike

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 07:51:00 PM »
Just another view on this...
Have you checked you are getting the correct voltages out of the power supply, ie 60V? If its too low you will have intermittent boot issues.

Also, Clay's guide has a video (search youtube for Clays System1) where he talks you through the boot up sequence to help you diagnose where the problem might be.
I had the power supply tested along with my other boards and it got a perfect bill of health. I've got tomorrow off so I'm getting stuck into the repinning starting with the power to cpu cable which, for some reason, I only repinned half of. !@#
I've ordered a new coin door decal & some more Led's just for the inserts so they don't get anymore heat sink. 

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 09:30:50 PM »
it sounds like you should be taking your own advice with the repinning

I would if i could only find the time   ^&^  too busy fixing other peoples games to do my own.. hell i still have that bloody Pinball Pool sitting there not even half done, having been not touched in over a year!

I guess i'm lucky in that my duck dodgers only very occasionally plays up and wont boot  :D its pretty good most of the time, which is another reason i havent repinned any connectors on it *%*

Offline Klondike

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2014, 09:40:02 PM »
it sounds like you should be taking your own advice with the repinning

I would if i could only find the time   ^&^  too busy fixing other peoples games to do my own.. hell i still have that bloody Pinball Pool sitting there not even half done, having been not touched in over a year!

I guess i'm lucky in that my duck dodgers only very occasionally plays up and wont boot  :D its pretty good most of the time, which is another reason i havent repinned any connectors on it *%*

Yeah, mine's great once it gets up and running so I can't complain...it wouldn't be pinball if there wasn't something to fix!

Offline Sinbad79

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2014, 09:44:08 PM »
My Sinbad is the same, only lately have i been forced to start repinning because the boot problems have just worsened to the point where it is annoying.
Broke my pin extraction tool too!!

What are u guys eusing to remove pins from connectors? Small electrical screw drivers?

Offline Klondike

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2014, 10:00:47 PM »
I bought a cheapy little screwdriver type kit that has one that just comes to a point...not sure what it would normally be used for but it's been doing the trick for me.
I'm going to go back and re-do a few of my first attempts as they were a bit iffy...it took me a while to get them looking as they should.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2014, 10:19:49 PM »

Yeah, mine's great once it gets up and running so I can't complain...it wouldn't be pinball if there wasn't something to fix!

Very true  *%* i often think they are like old cars in that they always seem to need something done to them no how small or insignificant!

Offline Klondike

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2014, 07:33:55 PM »
 I repinned all the connectors and cleaned up the chime box & replaced a charred diode on the 1000chime and Sinbad's working perfectly now.
Thanks to everyone who offered advice & assistance! @@*

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2014, 10:44:04 PM »
Good stuff  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ glad you got it sorted

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2014, 11:53:03 PM »
Have you seen these:
Gottlieb System 1: MPU to Driver with diode protection

http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/harnesses/harness-index.htm

If your driver board is the one without the diodes then you should consider one of these to protect your MPU.
At $34USD they are not too badly priced.

Offline Klondike

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2014, 08:46:42 PM »
Have you seen these:
Gottlieb System 1: MPU to Driver with diode protection

http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/harnesses/harness-index.htm

If your driver board is the one without the diodes then you should consider one of these to protect your MPU.
At $34USD they are not too badly priced.
I might grab one of those. There was one on ebay last week that I was bidding on but got pipped at the post...don't you hate that?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2014, 09:41:09 PM »
I repinned all the connectors and cleaned up the chime box & replaced a charred diode on the 1000chime and Sinbad's working perfectly now.
Thanks to everyone who offered advice & assistance! @@*

Well done !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Klondike

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2014, 12:41:43 AM »

Big thank you to you Nino, for all your help!