Author Topic: EM scoring intermittant problem.  (Read 839 times)

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
EM scoring intermittant problem.
« on: June 25, 2009, 06:54:26 PM »
Concerns King Pin
In the last few days instead of awarding 500 points sometimes targets and rollevers will award 2 lots of 500 points. What should I check guys? Its not just one switch or target, it can be any or none of them.
Cheers

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: EM scoring intermittant problem.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 07:01:02 PM »
First port of call is check the 500 point relay.

Open up and start  game.. have PF so you can see 500 point relay. Activate PF switch by hand and watch the relay - make sure its not fluttering and check the switches. In a darkened room - look for a double blue spark on a switch.
If this is OK, then go to score reel

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 07:28:14 PM »
First port of call is check the 500 point relay.

Open up and start  game.. have PF so you can see 500 point relay. Activate PF switch by hand and watch the relay - make sure its not fluttering and check the switches. In a darkened room - look for a double blue spark on a switch.
If this is OK, then go to score reel

ty will do :)

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 12:48:50 PM »
Update: its not confined to the 500 points. With the glass off I discovered that its awarding multiple 5000 points sometimes. I checked the 500 point relay.......looked fine. Note that when it gives extra lots of points the bells register for them as well.
Seems to be confined to the 500 and 5000 point scoring. Any ideas?
Cheers

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 01:49:27 PM »
over sensitive rollover switch or something?. Try banging lightly on the playfield in different places to see if you can make anything trip by itself.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 03:06:32 PM »
ok bashing the PF infront of the drop targets will register either 500 or 5000, depending on what the right kicker hole is awarding, I have adjusted this switch it so it only just contacts, but same issue. (driving me nuts now lol) and cant get it to overscore when PF is up
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 03:39:35 PM by Extra Ball »

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 05:40:37 PM »
cant get it to overscore when PF is up

Gap the switch a bit wider... sounds like it is dropping with gavity when PF is down - also tighten up the screws on the switch...

Basically... something is hanging down when PF is down and it shouldnt be... you have something loose

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 08:04:10 PM »
Nope, it is doing it with the PF lifted. It can be fine, can knock down a whole bank of targets without a problem, then it can return. Bashing the PF can start or stop it, but I can not find a reason for it. Could it be a contact in the score motor contacts? When its scoring that thing turns around, and has blue sparks on 2 different sets of contacts. Could it be that the motor is not allways getting the message to stop?  ^&^

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 08:29:42 PM »
It could be... i dont know the logic of the game.. need someone else here.

Motor may well turn 5 times for 5 X 100 points.

Could well be that the score reel is not registering 500 and so it runs again

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 08:45:30 PM »
Dont think so, the reel score reel is spinning pretty fast, same amount of 500's per bell chimes etc.

Offline justwedgeheads

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 09:04:49 PM »
Possibly residual magnetism on your suspected relay.I've had this issue and it causes erratic behaviour.Is the brass washer between the coil and the relay frame?I've fixed it with a small peice of electrical tape on the relay plate that gets pulled towards the coil.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 10:45:23 PM »

I vaguely recall having the same issue on my King Pin years ago. From memory, there is a bonus unit under the playfield around where the target assembly is. Tighten any switch stacks and clean the contacts with a business card.

It was a problem that took me ages to find - but the "unit" was right in front of the target assembly.

It is giving you a random 5000 problem because when the target is lit and dropped it scores 5000. All other targets score 500.

I wish I still had my King Pin !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 11:01:30 PM »

I vaguely recall having the same issue on my King Pin years ago. From memory, there is a bonus unit under the playfield around where the target assembly is. Tighten any switch stacks and clean the contacts with a business card.

It was a problem that took me ages to find - but the "unit" was right in front of the target assembly.

It is giving you a random 5000 problem because when the target is lit and dropped it scores 5000. All other targets score 500.

Nino was it the mini stepper unit that controls the position of the red lights infront of the target bank? It is activated by a star roll-over. I looked at this thing, but dismissed it as a cause.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 11:38:45 PM »

Nino was it the mini stepper unit that controls the position of the red lights infront of the target bank? It is activated by a star roll-over. I looked at this thing, but dismissed it as a cause.

This unit looks very similar to a "match unit" on a williams EM. It is smaller than a stepper unit. This gave me all sorts of random issues that remind me of your problem. Don't dismiss it yet !

Can you attach a picture for me please - see if it reminds me of the fix.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 12:51:14 PM »
Pics of the area you mention Nino, also I took that little stepper unit out and cleaned the contact areas, to me it seems fine and problem persists. The mech named J is the one I cleaned.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 12:54:05 PM by Extra Ball »