Author Topic: Sell as scrap or persist?????  (Read 932 times)

Offline Douggie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Sell as scrap or persist?????
« on: August 31, 2010, 12:17:23 AM »
I'd value some opinions on this one please.......recently bought a "Fish Tales", My limited knowledge / research tells me a good one goes for around 2500, I paid 2000 for this as I thought it was basically sound but just had some playfield ware which did not worry me at all. Anyway, shortly after getting it I noticed the bottom of the cabinet had almost fallen out...it was sort of held in by a load of mismatched long wood screws held in each side. My woodworking skills are zero so I got a friend who is a cabinet maker to have a look. The whole cabinet has either had water through it or has been stored in a damp enviroment for years and the glue that holds everything together has gone off, added to this the wood on all sections of the cabinet has kind of seperated and gone soft...the closest I can describe it is when you see old chipboard thats been outside.  I suggested a few litres of PVA glue and some packing made from scrap wood glued inside all around the edges (note, never let me do any home renovations) but my friend reckons its too far gone and he could make a new cabinet from scratch for me, as for the decals I'd just get my daughter (who's an artist) a free shot at painting it with a suitable theme.  Ive fixed many other small faults in the game already and its now playing quite well (if you discount the several large bits of firewood and bricks sitting underneath to hold it up) but the other fault Im concerned with is the power transformer has obviously had moisture damage too and is "crackling" when turned on. This is def a transformer only issue as Ive gone to the trouble of powering it up and removing the boards from the  secondary windings, therefore removing all load (Im familiar with moisture damage to transformers having restored vintage radios) Now my friend will make a cabinet at material cost only but its going to be a big job I reckon, then the cost of a transformer (I have no idea what that will be), Im wondering if its worth continuing with or giving up ? I think I have pretty much all other faults fixed (except for all the large electro's in the PSU which a bulging out more than Big Kev's guts) There is no discernable water damage to the top part , including playfield of the machine.
Should I cut my losses or carry on? My thought was to chuck it or offer it cheap to someone with either more time than me or for parts but my kids really love it.
Thanks
P.S I promise this will be my last post about fixing "shitters" from now on my next machines will either come from a shop or one of the many perfectionist restorer types here  :D

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
Re: Sell as scrap or persist?????
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 12:43:31 AM »

2k is allot of $$ to just walk away from

maybe look for a second hand cabinet normally around 250
transformer around  $50 - 75
cabinet decals on ebay for around 150 - 200

then the fun begins of the transfer

Any board can be fixed  just takes time

if you can post some pictures , I and MANY here can offer help

mark

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 03:22:15 AM »
Douggie, I just took 3 perfect stripped out cabinets to the tip on the weekend.  @.@ @.@ If I had of read this on Saturday, It would heve been a no brainer to give you a perfect cabinet to use. I dumped a Last Action Hero, A Leathal Weapon 3 and a Jurrassic Park. All cabinets are at the tip, I bet they are still sitting there. It hasnt rained either. Where do u live ?

I can help if u are nearby, or at least someone else on the forum might come up with a donor cabinet for you. I may have one still spare.

A replacement cabinet like the ones I just took to the tip is the answer rather than just making one.

I say NEVER NEVER GIVE UP. Next time, go see Mark C for a good machine, he has always looked after me, and many others on here as well.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 03:24:04 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline bossgp

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 07:29:33 AM »
Bugger I am looking for an empty cabinet to do a pinmame conversion....Ahh

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 08:28:38 AM »
I dumped a Last Action Hero, A Leathal Weapon 3 and a Jurrassic Park.

Nice of you to offer Brett, but those are Data East so the cab shape is different (ie DE's are longer, not sure about width).

You're not having much luck there Douggie! I hope these two problem games don't spoil it for you. A big lot of us got diddled on our first or second purchases, so it's not unusual. Hang in there mate.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline necroscope

• Forum Posts:
  • Romsey Vic
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 09:05:51 AM »
Hey dougie that fish tales with the bottom of the cab falling out has been for at least 3 months,did the seller tell you about it at the time of sale,if not thats a low act cause he has not been able to sell it,anyway maybe you can brace it with some metal straps.

i
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 09:39:09 AM by necroscope »

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 09:38:56 AM »
I have re-built cabinets like that. Piece of ply - some time, pull it apart, few hits with a hammer and a coat of cleat BINGO - all fixed.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 10:11:18 AM »
I dumped a Last Action Hero, A Leathal Weapon 3 and a Jurrassic Park.

Nice of you to offer Brett, but those are Data East so the cab shape is different (ie DE's are longer, not sure about width).

You're not having much luck there Douggie! I hope these two problem games don't spoil it for you. A big lot of us got diddled on our first or second purchases, so it's not unusual. Hang in there mate.

yeh you are right. a williams one will have to be the go. shame they didnt make them all the same.

Homepin (Mike) is correct. Perhaps a few new wooden board replacements might be the go. Also, Rob from Bikecity in Melbourne often has empty cabinets for sale as well, real cheap.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Mango

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 10:33:35 AM »
Douggie, I just took 3 perfect stripped out cabinets to the tip on the weekend.

A little OT and I might have missed the thread but did you offer these around?

Surely people are always looing for good nick cabs for pinmame or to experiment with

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 12:38:15 PM »
Keep gong duggie I have rebuild some absolute shitters and once you are finished you appreciate them all the more.    And feel freeto keep asking question I for one am happy to help out as much as possible.

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 01:36:10 PM »
Keep gong duggie I have rebuild some absolute shitters and once you are finished you appreciate them all the more.    And feel freeto keep asking question I for one am happy to help out as much as possible.

i can conform this ,  he really buys crap ....  sorry mate had to say it

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 02:48:13 PM »

Same here.. i have a habit of buying crappy games as well, and making them look and play good again coz i love a challenge.. or maybe im just crazy  :D :lol

So i say persevere with this game, as others have said plenty of help here if you need it ^^^ I have scrapped a couple of games in the past which im very sorry i did now, as i thought at the time id never be able to get help or parts.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 02:49:06 PM »
Never give in. Just remember that you have already spent $2000 - So you just need to rebuild or source another cabinet. Maybe someone has a donor cabinet (Brett or MarkC etc..). Here's one from left field - Contact "The Pinball Factory" - They MAY have a spare from the MM Project (No smart comments - just giving a suggestion). You can buy decals and you should be able to source a parted out cabinet with electricals.

Do not part it out - Wait for someone to offer the parts you need. Just need some patience.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 03:14:01 PM »

i can conform this ,  he really buys crap ....  sorry mate had to say it

No problems Mark
   Some one has to buy the crap and I like a personal challenge.   So whys the next container full of crap games coming !@#

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 08:33:53 PM »
I agree, persist with it. Having sunk $2k into it I think you deserve a return, and as a game Fish Tales is up there. So worth a bit of extra effort to fix up the cabinet.