Author Topic: Updating RFM Prism problems... Really need help  (Read 665 times)

Offline Dazzat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Updating RFM Prism problems... Really need help
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 06:38:25 PM »
OK reverted back to windows 98 from xp and installed the pinball manager again with 1.5 & 1.6
Under the pinball manager Trouble it says

Unable to update due to fupdate failure [30]

Now because I am on 98 it will tell me details

Beginning Flash update of (Game and Sound) on com1 @115200 baud...|bootdata.rom   0 blocks of 64 (0) sent, total bytes remaining 4980724
fupdate: Pin2000 failed to acknowledge packet (0)

NFI LOL
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 06:49:00 PM by Dazzat »

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 07:42:37 PM »
Ok mate, first thing is slow down the baudrate to say 19200 or even 9600 as I don't know how well your cable is shielded etc so you may get noise through the line that can change what is being sent.

Check all the com settings on the pc/updates software and make them match the rfm

Baud rate you currently have is 115k so the rfm rate has to bethe same
Parity setting can be either even, odd or none e,o,n again set both devices the same recommend Even
Databits can be 7 or 8 set both devices to 7
Stopbits 1 or 2 set both to 2

9600,E,7,2 is a safe comm setting to test. The transfer will be much longer in duration but data corruption is less likely. Slowing the baudrate improves data integrity

I will need to look up my notes on null modem wiring for 9 pin to 9 pin. I assume that's the cabling you are using and I haven't been in IT or cnc for some years no so this stuff is no longer burnt to memory

Try getting the settings synced first and see how you go
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 07:51:58 PM »
pinball god is on the money..I remember after reading his good advice that the speed settings we were using when I did my RFM had to be brought down to the slowest settings etc for the update to work...

its a complete pain in the ass, but i guess if we all had really old laptops, and we were all back in 2001 oe 2002 it might be a easy update...it certainly is a pain in the ass to do it thesedays and it certainly isnt a user friendly system to update at all...it wasnt easy at all when Beaky and I did mine, we had to buy the null modem cable, we had to find a old laptop with the old fashiooned port, we had to try over n over again for a few hours, change fifty things, then finally we did the update..I remember saying to Beaky over a few bourbans and a few valiums what a shit fight it was for a lousy update... hopefully pinball gods good advice will help u to nail this pain in the ass update..

keep flippin, dont give up.  ^^^

well done to pinball god for going out of his way with good specific info and for helping out..it this type of thing that makes AP such a good forum.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Dazzat

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 08:31:50 PM »
Ok mate, first thing is slow down the baudrate to say 19200 or even 9600 as I don't know how well your cable is shielded etc so you may get noise through the line that can change what is being sent.

Check all the com settings on the pc/updates software and make them match the rfm

Baud rate you currently have is 115k so the rfm rate has to bethe same
Parity setting can be either even, odd or none e,o,n again set both devices the same recommend Even
Databits can be 7 or 8 set both devices to 7
Stopbits 1 or 2 set both to 2

9600,E,7,2 is a safe comm setting to test. The transfer will be much longer in duration but data corruption is less likely. Slowing the baudrate improves data integrity

I will need to look up my notes on null modem wiring for 9 pin to 9 pin. I assume that's the cabling you are using and I haven't been in IT or cnc for some years no so this stuff is no longer burnt to memory

Try getting the settings synced first and see how you go

Thankyou very much Pinball god but I am unsure how I will be able to know the settings on the RFM or where to look on there to find out the details of its null modem settings. Can you help me out there on how to access? do I have to look in its bios because at the moment I dont have an old school keyboard
Yes I am using a null modem 9 pin.

I tried a few different setting just now and still nothing but connection to RFM

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 09:19:51 PM »
Just got back from dinner with friends and have quickly looked at bios. I may have given a bum steer as I cannot find any settings. I will have a look at my pc tomorrow and see what setting I had and any notes on the matter

Offline Dazzat

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2012, 09:23:05 PM »
Thank you very much Pinball God, looking forward to your results... Hope you had a nice dinner out :-)

Offline rustalan

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2012, 10:32:55 PM »
Been watching this with much interest as was thinking of doing mine. But cable connection by coin door has been removed  @.@ My update is also locked out, Think mine is on version 1.2 or 3 from memory have a couple of old laptops with the 9 pin rs port so thats a plus and somewhere an old keyboard. So hoping you all the best.

Offline Dazzat

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 11:30:11 PM »
Been watching this with much interest as was thinking of doing mine. But cable connection by coin door has been removed  @.@ My update is also locked out, Think mine is on version 1.2 or 3 from memory have a couple of old laptops with the 9 pin rs port so thats a plus and somewhere an old keyboard. So hoping you all the best.

Yes my db9 cable was missing too, I'm currently restoring mine and replacing everything, and have removed all the cabinet decals ready for the new set I have.
The update was one of the first things I have been trying to do and I have never met such a pain LOL... Hope when you do yours you get an easy update.

Also during boot and in attract mode it tells you what version firmware you are on

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2012, 11:41:49 PM »
all i know for sure is when i updated Brett's it would start updating the code and the line would start going across but would stop and crash or reset until the enable update was disabled.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2012, 10:32:02 AM »
Just one question, the cable you are using, is it 9 pin on both ends? If one end is a USB plug I cannot help. I never could get a USB rs232 cable to work with machines or anything. I have an old pc with rs232 plugs due to this. I am told it can be done but I left the industry before finding out?

Coin plug missing issue shouldn't be a problem as you just connect your plug straight into the back of the rfm pc. If you are using two bought cables, one to the rfm pc and attached to the coin door and then attaching another to the coin door and to your pc, this can be a problem. Your send/receive wires may not be correct by doing this (not crossed). The rfm send wire goes to your pcs receive pin etc. So if both cables are identical then you are double crossing making the receive go to the others devices receive and so on. Its a bit like two negatives make a positive or think of it as both devices talking and on one listening. Hope this may trigger some ideas.

If you have done this try using only the one cable and see what happens. My guess the original rfm cable to its pc had wires that were not crossed.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 10:42:58 AM by pinball god »

Offline rustalan

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2012, 10:40:37 AM »

Yes my db9 cable was missing too, I'm currently restoring mine and replacing everything, and have removed all the cabinet decals ready for the new set I have.
The update was one of the first things I have been trying to do and I have never met such a pain LOL... Hope when you do yours you get an easy update.

Also during boot and in attract mode it tells you what version firmware you are on
I found my cable tucked away in the cab and the pc end was hanging off 1 of the cable clips.

Offline Dazzat

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2012, 11:11:41 AM »
Just one question, the cable you are using, is it 9 pin on both ends? If one end is a USB plug I cannot help. I never could get a USB rs232 cable to work with machines or anything. I have an old pc with rs232 plugs due to this. I am told it can be done but I left the industry before finding out?

Coin plug missing issue shouldn't be a problem as you just connect your plug straight into the back of the rfm pc. If you are using two bought cables, one to the rfm pc and attached to the coin door and then attaching another to the coin door and to your pc, this can be a problem. Your send/receive wires may not be correct by doing this (not crossed). The rfm send wire goes to your pcs receive pin etc. So if both cables are identical then you are double crossing making the receive go to the others devices receive and so on. Its a bit like two negatives make a positive or think of it as both devices talking and on one listening. Hope this may trigger some ideas.

If you have done this try using only the one cable and see what happens. My guess the original rfm cable to its pc had wires that were not crossed.

Hi again Pinball god, I am using a Brand new null modem 9 pin straight from RFM pc to  laptop com 1 rs232 (1 Cable) (Not USB type) I bought another one as well just in case there was something wrong with the first one.

This is the way I have done it since I first started with only a clear indication of a connection to RFM that the pinball 2000 program tells me I have, but no transfer once I press update, usually after 5 seconds it gives me the 30 error  which I found out means not uploading to rfm *!@ ((( !@#

This is what it says

Beginning Flash update of (Game and Sound) on com1 @9600 baud...|bootdata.rom   0 blocks of 64 (0) sent, total bytes remaining 4980724
fupdate: Pin2000 failed to acknowledge packet (0)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 11:17:11 AM by Dazzat »

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2012, 11:22:30 AM »
Ok at least we can progress from here. Sorry for some silly sounding questions but we need to be on the same page. When you say the rfm bios you aren't talkng about the pc bios, blue screen? Everything people have suggested referred to the screens that come up pressing the service buttons on the coin door. If you have modified any of the true pc bios settings please advise which one
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 06:56:45 PM by pinball god »

Offline rustalan

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2012, 01:37:33 PM »
ok Did a successful upgrade to my RFM used an xp laptop changed to 95 compatible, went to com port settings   from control panel  to hardware to com 1 then advanced, changed parity to even, set baud to the same as the update program. Saved the update to C: NO FOLDER. ran the update program, selected 1.5 update and 10 min later we are set to go  $#$ At no time did I change the uddate code settings. update code is flashing and disable is ghosted Don't try to install v1.6
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 02:02:30 PM by rustalan »

Offline rustalan

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2012, 01:54:19 PM »
If you want to borrow the laptop and cable your welcome