Author Topic: Black Hole Resto  (Read 5300 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Black Hole Resto
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2009, 08:32:33 PM »
I've started the pf touch ups.  Not 100% with the lower bumper.  Need to redo a bit on the left.  I would like to put down some blue mylar rings but I have not seen anyone who makes them?

Clear (on repairs) is still wet.  Mylar going down over the whole pf still.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 09:26:52 PM by MartyJ »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2009, 09:13:00 AM »
because mine were so far gone on the upper playfield (similar to yours) I decided to make some blue disks from the vinal they use to cover books (found some a very close match to the pop bumper colour) and then added a mylar disk over the top of that. Looks OK (better than before), and was supposed to fill the void while waiting for the playfield from PFR (which aint coming I suspect now).
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2009, 12:12:50 PM »
Nice read-well done on the resto so far, took the Mylar off my WH20 with no problems but not game to lift the mylar off the GORGAR just in case I lift paint ^&^

Peter

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2009, 06:16:25 PM »
Repairs done around pop bumpers.  Not 100% happy but I wasn't planning on getting playfield back to new!

After much thought, planning (not really) I decided against going a full playfield mylar.  The main reason was the amount of holes for targets, the window, ball tube etc. would have made it virtually impossible to get it down in one hit without creases/bubbles.  Given the paint is not super thick (or CC) pulling it up would have been bad. !!!

The playfield paint (esp in the black section near bumpers) is thin, so I put down a small section here up to the 1st bumper.  I've ordered some mylar rings to down on the others.  The TC polish kit did a really good job and I'm very happy on the rest of the playfield.  No wax down as yet.

I'll post some pics of the lower playfield (before and afters).  I'll stick with the same plan for the lower pf, clean, polish and wax only.  There are no repairs to be done it it.

Offline bigdaddy

• Forum Posts:
  • WTB: Phantom of the Opera
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2009, 08:30:28 PM »
Nice one. #*# Your work so far looks great, so don't be so hard on yourself. With more lov'n she'll be looking great in no time.

^^^This is not a bad game either - played it on Pinmame the other day, but reckon it would be better in the flesh though.
WTB - Phantom of the Opera

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2009, 08:32:53 PM »
Great work again marty. But bigdaddy i thought it was good on pinmame but after playing the real thing i cant handle the pinmame one it a great but very evil game in the flesh

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2009, 12:16:35 AM »
it a great but very evil game in the flesh

Some of the owner rubbed off on it during the rebuild I suspect.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2009, 07:25:07 PM »
Your not evil Nick?  Or maybe thats why? id better be careful next visit lol

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2009, 08:22:10 PM »
Playfield has been waxed and come out better than expected.  Mini PF still to go.  The fun stuff has started, pulling apart brackets and cleaning / tumbling.  It will probably be on for the next week or so lucky for the neighbours the workshop is underground!

All coils being tested individually and sleeves to be replaced (once I know the correct type).   Every coil diode also being replaced.

All metals visible on PF will be tumbled / regrained.

Much of the metal work is already clean (thx to Silverball's tech's), but I'm just giving them that extra bit of TLC.

Hopefully my 1st order from PBR will arrive shortly, with flipper kits (all 6) and some plastics.

The coil wrapper on (below) was gone.  I taped it just to add some protection.  Unfortunately the coil tested out perfect so it will have to stay ( !!! wanted nice new coil for candy!)

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2009, 08:23:39 PM »
Want me to have a look for a coil with a nice cover on it for you?

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2009, 08:27:29 PM »
Want me to have a look for a coil with a nice cover on it for you?

Given its hidden under the apron I think I'll live....Funny, shouldn't annoy me but it does   :lol

Thankyou for the offer though.  I'm sure between now and the end I'll be hitting you for other parts!

One thing I have noticed (and I stand to be corrected here) but the Gottlieb parts seem to be very sturdy and well engineered - compared to WMS parts I've stripped and cleaned the Gottlieb are stronger, dont wear and just well put together.

Offline bigdaddy

• Forum Posts:
  • WTB: Phantom of the Opera
WTB - Phantom of the Opera

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2009, 08:41:06 PM »
Marty, spotted these on ebay..not sure if you need em, but suspect that spares like these don't come up all that often.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Gottlieb-BLACK-HOLE-Pinball-playfield-plastics_W0QQitemZ300319458937QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45ec6f4679&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A2%7C294%3A200

My trusty google alerts picked those up for me a few days ago.

Mine are actually OK (1 broken but can be fixed).  PBR make a repo set for the upper playfield.  Lower plastics, hard to come by and if they were I'd grab them.

Thanks for the heads up tho!

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2009, 08:57:21 PM »
Marty,

How did I miss this thred? These types of games were just so cutting edge for their time and just classics now. VERY highly collectable and full marks to you for putting in all that time and cash in resoring that beautiful game.

Had the honour of playing Rollerball's near MINT example last Saturday night at his excellent meet and felt the game has so much going for it.

Keep the updates coming!  ^^^

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2009, 10:27:43 PM »
Looks great Marty, glad you are not using the full mylar, Good in ball drop and bumper areas but for a full PF I think it goes a little hazy over time and is hard to polish back to a clear sheen.  Keep the wax up to it and you'll be right mate