Author Topic: Creature Prototype Restoration  (Read 7050 times)

Offline johnwartjr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
Re: Creature Prototype Restoration
« Reply #165 on: February 26, 2010, 06:22:44 PM »
I think my next project is going to be Scared Stiff. I'm 90+% sure that's gonna be the one. The only other 'real' candidate is another Creature I have, and doing the same game twice in a row doesn't sound like much fun.

I've got several years of projects lined up. Some in varying states of readiness. Some that are playable and will just have to wait til I get to them. Some that are torn apart. Basically, I keep a running list of parts I need for my restorations, and when I finish one, I choose the next one based on which one I'm closest to ready to restore. Game 1 needs $500 in parts to restore, game 2 needs $1000 in parts to restore etc, game 1 gets restored next :)

Due to salary cuts at my day job (3 last year combined with being out of work for 4 months) as well as my business slowing down due to the economy, I don't have as much money to work with, so I have to choose from the games I have parts on hand for, or close to enough parts on hand. I sold 20% of my collection last year to keep afloat. I consider myself lucky, though, as there is a huge crisis here in the states and just having a job, let alone a decent one, means a lot to me. The fact that I still have 20+ pins means it isn't so bad!

My wife worked for a bank which failed as a result of some poor business decisions. The bank was taken over by a larger bank after the US Government stepped in, and the larger bank has a department that does what she does - so her job was converted to 'temporary' status. Her job was slated to go away at the end of next month, but the new owners have realized they are not ready yet and they extended her job another 6 months. She did, however, get cut back to 3 days a week, when she was working 4 before. That's going to hurt a bit.

I have most of the parts for the 2nd creature and the scared stiff. Doing some math, either game is gonna need 300-500 worth of goodies to finish them up. But, since I'll be doing the restos over several months, it's not as big a hit as it sounds.

I also have a Flintstones that is 50% torn apart. Bought it that way rather inexpensively. I'm actually really jonesing to work on it. I have a Twilight Zone that was in a flood that I need to send the playfield off to have touched up and cleared - but the investment involved in doing that is rather high for my tastes presently. I have an Indiana Jones and a Diamondplated Whirlwind at Playfield Renovations. I'm grateful that they are taking their time as either of those is going to be $600-800 in touchup and clear work.

Then, I've got new playfields on hand for my Medieval, AFM and MB. Of the 3, I think I like MB the most. All 3 of those need a number of parts to get started.

Once the 2nd Creature is done, I have a couple IJs to do for a friend that were worked into a pin deal. I could really use the space, so I'd like to get those knocked out. Realistically, I'll get the SS and 2nd CFTBL knocked out this year and maybe start on the IJs.

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #166 on: February 26, 2010, 07:48:03 PM »
Here's one of the typical issues you run into with prototype machines!

I installed NOS wired ramps, and guess what? WMS used 1 large 12 pin connector on the proto, and 2 6 pin connectors on the production game - so the ramps wouldn't just 'plug in'.

I was going to convert the game harness to 6 pin connectors, but I'll be damned if I couldn't get the pins out of the connector in the game harness. So, I repinned the 2 seperate 6 pin connectors into a single new 12 pin connector.

Ramps are installed

I spent most of my evening on the ramps tonight. Found several things that were just pains in my side. When I looked close at all the 'NOS' ramps, I found that they had not been stored properly, and both flaps were rusty. So, I made 2 new flaps and riveted them on. Then, they had masking tape on them from whenever they were packaged up, and it had turned to complete crap and I had to work to get all of that off.

Green lamps in the swamp

Clear lamps in the filmstrip

New window installed (need to clean the lint off)

New bowl ramp

Still need to mount the reed switch, and clean up the wiring going to the bowl. I need to clean several of the small harnesses tomorrow, such as the ones going to the ramp entrance signs, to the bowl, etc.

I also need a warm enough day to spray some paint - the backbox insert needs at m1 additional coat, and likely 2 additioanal coats of paint. It has to be at least 50 degrees to spray paint, and our lows tonight were below freezing.

Then, I have to mount the shooter and the flipper opto boards, tidy up a bunch of wiring, give the game a good vacuum job, put the new PF and translite glass in, etc.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #167 on: February 26, 2010, 08:23:09 PM »
An excellent read John.

I am glad i asked what was next. The Scard Stiff sounds great. Should be a beauty to watch that restore.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
« Reply #168 on: February 27, 2010, 07:39:25 AM »
An excellent read John.

I am glad i asked what was next. The Scard Stiff sounds great. Should be a beauty to watch that restore.  ^^^

+1  ^^^

My dream machine - if I can ever find a decent cheap one...  !!!

BTW John, it was too hot here to do any work yesterday!  <.>
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #169 on: February 28, 2010, 01:28:39 AM »
So, the first bummer of the project...

He's blue, not green :( - big bucks for a replacement that is green is not in the budget of the project at this time - so I'll have to enjoy it, blue or green. At least it's sharp!

Had to clean up the apron, as the dang thing was filthy. Amazing how dirty parts of this game were! I was able to take Novus #2 and get most of it off - Novus #1 wouldn't touch it. The center artwork is just a crappy sticker on the proto game (seem to recall my 'production' game is screened, but can't be 100% sure til I unpack it.

The Novus #2 was showing black paint on the rag - so I had to be very careful. I may wax the apron and see if it helps cover some of the imperfections. I will also see if I can find any apron decals, and perhaps a compatible apron to repaint and sticker.

It's tough to see in the pictures, but the original shooter gauge is absolutely stuffed. It took me 2 years to find an original replacement!

And the MRS mod: (magnetic reed switch)

Need to get some double faced tape to stick it to the bowl.

I hope to play a game tonight, after a bit more work. But, if it takes another day or so, I won't rush it :)

Offline Daring33

• Forum Posts:
  • South Australia
« Reply #170 on: March 02, 2010, 02:06:05 PM »
Your Holo isn't showing up John, mines blue too!  He's green when you look at him without the lamp on but in the game he's blue (depends on the angle you look at it too)

I think the center of the apron is just a sticker, I don't believe that mine is screened.

The magnetic reed switch is interesting, I had read about it in the past but never seen one, how does it go when the ball falls away from the edge of the bowl?  i.e does it still count the revolutions or is it only within a certain distance (do you get more letters lit than a standard switch?)  Is the sensitivity adjustable?

Nice work on the switches too, I wish I had a rivet press, I usually end up using a bolt and nut because I can't get a rivet back in.

I'm glad you decided on a new playfield window too, the old ones just don't come up as nice as a brand new one.

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #171 on: March 02, 2010, 02:39:49 PM »
Apron came up a lot nicer after I waxed it!

The reed switch only registers the balls that get close enough to trigger the original switch. Maybe even requires them to be a little closer to the outside of the bowl. But, since the ball doesn't hit the switch, it doesn't come off the outside as easily.

I've been playing the game today. Need to tweak a few switches, put some beer seal on the lockdown bar, and tidy up the wiring a bit. Getting closer!

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #172 on: March 07, 2010, 07:16:45 PM »
So, we are in the home stretch.

Got a few days of nice weather here and I was able to paint the backbox insert on Friday. It's not perfect, but you'd not know unless your nose is up against it.

Unfortunately, the sockets are slightly heat damaged. I'm seeing more and more of this on games of this era, especially the blown out examples I start with - but, the original sockets are not readily available, and I've had some so yellowed they practically turn to dust - so this one isn't too bad!

Translite is dirty as always. Amazing how a few years of being smoked around can make anything look like complete trash! Lift bar is broken, and one side trim is cracked and not holding anything, so I'll replace all 4 pieces.

Nicotine stains coming off. Isn't bright white like a NOS one would be, but it's uniform and lets lots more light through

So this is what a smoker's lungs look like

The glass cleaned up nicely, so I reused the original glass. I had some new translite glass sheets made up a couple years back, and they somehow all got scratched. Got them in trade for some pin work for someone whose wife worked at a glass shop. So, it wasn't a deal I could go complain about.

Front

Back

There are a few scratches through the white layer of the translite, and even a couple spots that are completely clear, but I'd just make them look worse trying to 'fix' them.

Test playing broke a plunger, unfortunately. Luckily, I had a nice used spare

Check out the translite reflection in the PF window!

With the lights turned back on

Offline el_timbo86

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
« Reply #173 on: March 08, 2010, 12:28:52 AM »
Damn man,

That is looking SWEET! I had already noticed the reflection of the translite before i read the comment below the picture.

Looking great John.

Tim

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #174 on: March 11, 2010, 05:17:26 PM »
So, the Creature is done.

It sits in staging, waiting on my assistance to move it into the gameroom, which involves a trip down a flight of stairs.

The weather is finally quite nice here. 68 degrees today. Wish it stayed at this temperature 12 months of the year!

Final photos coming in a few days. Need some help to get the game outside and snap some pics.

Started on the Scared Stiff tonight. A new thread will be starting in an hour or so. Lots of pictures uploading!

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #175 on: March 11, 2010, 05:37:01 PM »
Awesome work John.  Certainly looking forward to seeing for the SS restoration.

@@*

10/10 

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #176 on: March 14, 2010, 08:50:40 AM »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #177 on: March 14, 2010, 09:11:50 AM »
John, thanks so much for sharing this restoration with us, it is a privilege to see such fine work and to have it documented here.

Looking forward to Scared Stiff!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline EricPinball

• Forum Posts:
  • Braine l'alleud, Belgium
    • EricPinball Forum
« Reply #178 on: June 20, 2010, 06:43:57 AM »
Super job  #*# @@* ^^^