Author Topic: Gtb Quick Draw  (Read 5371 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Gtb Quick Draw
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2010, 10:04:46 AM »

Very nice work Mitch ! Those targets look new.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2010, 09:50:54 PM »
Thanx guys for the kind words.

Well today i got the top arch repainted and installed. I stripped it back to bare metal with the clean n strip disc in the drill, then hit it with a few coats of acrylic primer. After that had dried i rubbed the primer back with 400 wet&dry paper, wiped it down with Prepsol and the gave it a couple of coats of acrylic white (1st pic). While that was drying i then buffed up the ball gate and rebound rubber metal mount.

And tonight i refitted the top arch with its parts and fitted it back onto the PF. All of the screw heads have been polished as well, by spinning them in my drill, and using Auto sol and cloth to polish them to a nice shine (2nd pic).

Next to do will be to polish and reinstall the wire lane guides, fit the few posts that havent been fitted yet, and to rebuild the flippers.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2010, 11:38:49 PM »
Hi guys just another small update for now..

Tonight i rebuilt the flippers, i ended up making new links for the plungers out of fibreglass PCB material, two pieces of it superglued together to double the thickness.. same as i have done in the past on some of my other games.. Stern Dracula and Lectronamo, first pic shows the finlshed links reinstalled onto the plunger and flipper pawls.

and last weekend i spent some time repairing lamp sockets, all of the GI sockets have been repaired, soldering up the join between the barrel part where the globe fits in and the mounting lug, and soldering the lamp socket wires directly to the centre pin as shown in the pics. All the feature lamp sockets are yet to be done.. painful job but it must be done *%* ^&^ i used some pieces of spaghetti insulation over the wires that were originally bare, so as not to tempt fate and have them short out!

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2010, 11:46:49 PM »
And now im in the process of polising all of the metal acorn nuts for the plastics. I'm halfway thru doing this job, (had enough for one nite)  ^&^

Anyhoo a couple of pics.. befor and after polishing, to do this i put an old post screw into the electric drill, screw the acorn nut onto the post screw and spin the drill while holding a rag with Autosol against the nut.. works well so long as the rag doesnt get caught in the spinning post screw  :lol

And finally a pic of the PF with the new plastics from PBR, thanks yet again to Cam (big dog) for getting these for me in one of his PBR orders, along with the lane guides and bumper caps  ^^^ ^^^

Next task will be to finish the lamp sockets, rebuild the drop target banks, and the bonus stepper unit..

EDIT... added a pic of the ball trough components reinstalled after cleaning and polishing :D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 07:41:17 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2010, 08:01:03 PM »
MINI MICRO UPDATE  :D :D

Yesterday and today i spent some time working on the apron, prepping it for a decal. I'm going to be using a Pinball Rescue apron decal on this rather that making my own. This morning i PayPal'd them the money for the decal for this one and one for Wildfyre, so i should have them, in a week or so!!

Anyway, 1st pic is of the faded and crappy apron from this game. I completely stripped it back to bare metal, then, after a wipe down with Prepsol i hit it with some acrylic primer, followed by a black guidecoat.. just black acrylic (2nd pic).. a trick i learned from my time working with my brother when he was a panelbeater/spraypainter. This will (hopefully!!) stop me rubbing thru the primer and back to bare metal :D. (stop sanding when the black disappears.. well thats the plan anyway!!)

I sanded back the primercoat carefully with 400 wet&dry, wiped the apron with Prepsol again, then sprayed on several coats of acrylic white. It is now ready for the decal when it arrives.

Offline deadlydave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2010, 08:17:29 PM »
Good tip on the black guide coat Mitch.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2010, 08:21:09 PM »
Thanks Dave.

Most of the guys here who have anything to do with cars and panelbeating/spraypainting will very likely already know of this trick, and i know there are a few here *%*

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2010, 10:29:59 PM »
Well today the apron decals arrived from Pinball Rescue  $#$ $#$
As i said i ordered decals for this game and for the Wildfyre PF, both are pictured here.

Anyway this afternoon i wasted no time in applying the decal to the newly painted apron, which has now had nearly a week for the paint to cure.
Actually applying the apron decal is a little bit daunting, especially with the narrow edges near the left and right hand sides of the instruction cards area. The instructions suggest to use some soapy water on the apron to help position the decal, which i did.  I DID manage to get some crap underneath the decal on the edges  which made it look a bit bad ^&^ ^&^ ^&^ ^&^ so because it was mainly at the edges this happened, i was able to trim the decal with a scalpel close to the artwork, after that it looked much better!! It would be MUCH easier applying these with someone to lend a helping hand, but i managed to get it on there without wrecking it :lol

Pics show the end result. and i couldnt help myself and sat it on the PF to get a look and a picture. The shooter gauge is yet to be done, this will be done tomorrow, and then i'll post some before and after pics of the playfield.

EDIT; This morning i finished of the shooter gauge, repainted and applied the decal (4th pic)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 01:51:24 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2010, 08:08:41 AM »
Makes a huge difference well done

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2010, 09:11:37 AM »

Exceptional. I like the idea of the guidecoat. I've seen it done on cars, but not on pinball.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2010, 09:23:22 AM »
Looks brilliant, thanks for showing it to us.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2010, 12:13:34 PM »
Looks Fantastic Mitch .. Great work as always .  ^^^ Thanks for taking the time to post this resto. I recently applied my 1st Pinball rescue decal so can relate to where you are coming from with that.

Cheers
Dave
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2010, 01:57:49 PM »
The topside of the PF is pretty much finished now except for a couple of wire guides that are missing, which i'll probably have to make.
Just need to finish off the work underneath, ie finish lamp socket repairs, drop target rebuild and bonus unit stepper.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 10:07:36 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2011, 11:19:12 PM »
Well its been a long time coming, but i thought this weekend i'd pull my finger out and get some more done on this Quick Draw of mine.. since its been ove six months since i've touched it!!

So i thought id remove the backglass and do some touchup/repaint work..

1st pic of how the glass looked as purchased, my apologies that i didnt get any better 'before' pics  &^&
2nd and 3rd pic of the areas of concern, faded and flaking off paint. I'm using the same tricks i used on my stern Dracula, and Zac Universe BGs, ie scrape the old damaged paint off and spray new colour in. I'm using the same Power Plus brand auto acrylic spray paint i used on the other BGs to redo the reds, "Centre Red" the colour is called.

In the 3rd pic i had started removing the old paint, carefully scraping with a scalpel, up to the white border of the game name text. Normally i heat the blade in a flame and cut along the edge of where the paint will go to to give a clean edge, but i didnt do that with this glass, just VERY carefully scraped up to the white border of the lettering... not ideal i know, because its asking for trouble, but i managed to get away with it this time  :D

last pic, shows the stencil i cut to spray the red on, i used gloss photo paper (cheap stuff) for this, before i used normal A4 printer paper, but i had trouble with paint bleed thru the paper, gloss photo paper works much better. As i did on the Drac glass, i allowed the red to overlap onto the white, which means the white will wash out a bit when lit up, but it'll look 10 times better than it did!!

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2011, 11:20:56 PM »
more pics... paint going on and the end result from the front.