Author Topic: Gtb Quick Draw  (Read 5341 times)

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
Re: Gtb Quick Draw
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2011, 11:27:20 PM »
Excellant work  @@*
pinballaustralia.com

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2011, 11:30:53 PM »
More pics.. this time redoing the cowboy's red shirt  :D

Man, this was tricky to do!!!! removing the old red paint while not disturbing the black detail markings  ^&^ took ages to do, i scraped back to the lines as much as i dared to, so as not to risk them being chipped off the glass!! i DID give this area a VERY light spray with Triple Thick and allowed it to dry before attempting this, which i think helped a bit.

Also i forgot to mention, that i clean the glass with tissue moistened with Windex before spraying the paint on.

4th pic, the end result, again not perfect, but WAY better than how it was  *%*
some bits of the old paint can be seen, but these disappear when backlit
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 11:32:46 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2011, 11:44:45 PM »
just a few more pics for now... some chips of paint came away from the cowboys face which i had to try to touch up, i decided to see if i could do these by touching up with a brush and waterbased acrylic. i positioned a light under the glass so i could see if the paint was going on in a consistent thickness, to try to match the translucency of the original paint. i thought it was worth trying, if it didnt work out i could do the same as for the red, remove the old colour and mix the colour and airbrush it on instead.

Pics show the result... turned out not too bad at all!! the last two pics show where im at with it at the moment, last pic i placed a desk lamp behind the glass to light it up for the pic. looks better in person than it does in the pic. its hard to get a good pic of a lit BG at the best of times!!

« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 10:22:30 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2011, 11:47:21 PM »

A lot of patience shown their Mitch - and the results reflect that, and the attention to detail. Great work.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2011, 11:52:48 PM »
Thanks Nino. My patience will be tested a lot more before its done i can tell you!!  *%* i still have to redo his left arm yet, which you can see is still the faded colour in the pics, and that has the silver mask over it on the back!!!!!
If you look near his left shoulder in the last two pics you can see where i have started to remove the old paint. there'll be a few hours just in doing THAT section  !!!

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2011, 11:02:56 AM »
Awesome work Mitch, looks great so far  ^^^

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2011, 08:42:18 PM »
Top work as usual Mitch .  ^^^  I've still got a few BG's needing work  .. must get around to them soon.
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline deadlydave

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2011, 08:43:12 PM »
Great work Mitch !!
You have a hell of a lot more patience than me.
My QD backglass is in a similar state, I am patiently
Waiting on a Repro   :tumble:

Offline howzat

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2011, 11:32:02 PM »
Lots of time is going in to this  its looking really good its going to be a great old game   Howzat

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
  • There's no law against having fun, just yet!
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2011, 07:34:02 AM »
Great job mitch

J.D.
There is no law against having fun just yet (but I am sure they are busy are drafting one!)

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2011, 09:12:10 AM »
Beautiful work - the glass is coming alive again for sure, especially with the reds! ^^^

It would seem that the glass has not yet had any Triple Thick applied, as you are scraping paint away.  I presume you may be going to seal it after?  The reason I ask is that in some cases it would appear that sealing is the first thing to do (eg. what Nino recently did for the Buccaneer), and in other cases the sealing may need to come after.

It probably depends exactly on what is needed for the restoration of the backglass.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2011, 02:29:48 PM »
Beautiful work - the glass is coming alive again for sure, especially with the reds! ^^^

It would seem that the glass has not yet had any Triple Thick applied, as you are scraping paint away.  I presume you may be going to seal it after?  The reason I ask is that in some cases it would appear that sealing is the first thing to do (eg. what Nino recently did for the Buccaneer), and in other cases the sealing may need to come after.

It probably depends exactly on what is needed for the restoration of the backglass.

I generally dont Triple Thick a glass when i do this type of paint repair, since the glass has to be scraped clean. though for this one i DID give it a very light coat of TT (just over the damaged areas) before i started scraping back the old paint, my thinking was it might help save surrounding areas from losing flakes of paint as i worked on it. Some paint DID come up off the cowboy's face while i was working on it which i had to touch up  ^&^ luckily it came out ok!!
Sometimes i will seal a glass im working on first with TT before i spray paint on as im doing with this BG, if there is danger of the paint bleeding under surrounding art work which may be lifting.

I'll probably give the whole glass a coat of TT when im done.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 02:38:26 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2011, 12:02:42 AM »
Hi guys, a bit of an update on QuickDraw:

I've been busy with the backglass still, got a fair bit more done in it over the last couple of days.
In these pics i'm redoing the cowboy's left arm. and what a painful exercise that was, due to the fact that this area had the silver mask over the back, so it took a LOT of time and careful cutting with a scalpel. Basically i had to look for the black keyline imprints from the BACK of the glass and cut with a scalpel blade heated in a flame (so the blade would 'melt' its way thru the paint and not chip it), as close to the keylines as i could manage without damaging areas i wanted to save.. VERY tricky exercise that was!!

I tried to save the black detail lines (creases in his sleeve) but it was just too hard to do so i ended taking all of the paint off and redrawing the detail back in afterwards, using a picture as a guide, i took a picture from the front, and printed out a front view as well as a reversed (mirrored) image to copy from while redrawing the lines back in by hand using a sharpie pen (2nd and 3rd pics). After i had the lines drawn in i trimmed them up by scraping with the scalpel blade so they matched the picture as close as i could manage.

Last pic shows the results.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2011, 12:13:02 AM »
More pics,

1st pic is after the flat white has been sprayed on, to help diffuse and even out the lights when lit up, and to brighten the red a bit. Also some of the silver mask has been applied over the left arm as it was originally. I used acrylic primer for the white diffusing paint, just a couple of very light coats, just enough to cover the red a bit, otherwise too much light is blocked out.

2nd pic showing a front view of the progress at that stage..

last pic showing more of the white having been applied...

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2011, 12:18:07 AM »
more pics, this time redoing the blue in his legs,
1st pic; removing the old paint,
2nd pic; setting up the stencil cut out from gloss photo paper ready for spraying
and the view from the front after done!!