Author Topic: 2nd Pin  (Read 330 times)

Offline TSPP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
2nd Pin
« on: June 28, 2009, 10:10:29 PM »
Have got the go ahead to buy another pin...months of nagging seemed to have payed off  <.>

I have been given a limit of $3k and would like to know what i should be on the look out for and where i can play em for a trial run. I have JD high on this list but could only find one at Zaks and boy...i aint rushing back there again. Should i look at buying two pins for this amount?

Any and all recommendations are appreaciated

.....something witty here

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: 2nd Pin
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 10:13:29 PM »
Personally id buy a few EMs for that amount but i enjoy fixing them more than playing them

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 10:18:07 PM »
Usually the nagging works the other way around :)

Two pins for $1500 each - honestly you would be looking at a couple of very decent EMs; I can't think of two many situations where you are going to pick up a DMD or SS machine for that money, and frankly if you did you would probably need to spend a fair chunk of the remaining $1500 to get it up to scratch. (Although my Mousin' Around! didn't cost me too much more than that - the guys looked after me because I had already bought DH - and it is a sleeper title anyway.)

If you are after something like a JD you will be needing to spend most of the $3000.

Offline TSPP

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 12:19:29 PM »
Personally id buy a few EMs for that amount but i enjoy fixing them more than playing them

hmmmmm...does this mean that they are troublsome machines that require a fair bit of work. New to this hobbie so i dont think i would have the skills to do this (fix)

Usually the nagging works the other way around :)

Two pins for $1500 each - honestly you would be looking at a couple of very decent EMs; I can't think of two many situations where you are going to pick up a DMD or SS machine for that money, and frankly if you did you would probably need to spend a fair chunk of the remaining $1500 to get it up to scratch. (Although my Mousin' Around! didn't cost me too much more than that - the guys looked after me because I had already bought DH - and it is a sleeper title anyway.)

If you are after something like a JD you will be needing to spend most of the $3000.

Any hints on the EM's you guys would recomend. What am i looking at here?

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 01:19:29 PM »
Gottlieb single player game from the 1970s - they are all great!!!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 01:56:38 PM »

First of all - congrats on raising the funds  &&

You need to get around to Dealers and start evaluating pins. DON'T BUY ON IMPULSE.

Support our sponsors - Head out to child's amusements and have a bash.

If you are looking for EMs - you need to be a little more careful. Try sourcing WORKING or restored pins if you are new to the Hobby.

it might be worth waiting for a member to sell an EM on the forum - at least you will know its history and have help at hand when needed.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline TSPP

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 03:04:11 PM »
Thanx Strangeways..importantto get the funds frst. Now i have to go out ad look.

I will be patient as i am very anal about quality and don't plan on rushing into anything. Guess i will send Mark a hello to expect me  <..> Hi Mark...here i come...  <.>

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 03:18:11 PM »
If youre very anal about quaility it could take a while to find an EM in the condition to your liking.
If you want a very nice condition pin machine have a look at Paul's (rollerball) roadshow.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 07:05:46 PM »

hmmmmm...does this mean that they are troublsome machines that require a fair bit of work. New to this hobbie so i dont think i would have the skills to do this (fix)

If you buy an EM already working off some of the better restorers, you should be able to run trouble-free for years. SS and DMD machines have additional electronic components that can fail over time.