Author Topic: Sydney Sucks for pins!!  (Read 572 times)

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Re: Sydney Sucks for pins!!
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 06:28:59 PM »

I am off to Sydney next week to help a guy out who has 35 pins , maybe I can talk him into having a meet ...
very nice all top end pins too

mark

Yes - Mark - get talking  *)*
DW Drums rule !

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 07:37:15 PM »
(old mans voice)...back in my day Son there were around 30 pinballs just in my little beachside town of Bulli ^^^

Then there was also a stack of EM arcade games

Oh they were the days   !!!

pinballist

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 07:53:04 PM »
They certainly were Tony...

In the early 80's I used to hang out at the Gunamatta Bay Pavilion in Cronulla every weekend where they had wall to wall classic 70's EMs and a few of those EM shooting games too - what a nostalgic trip that would be to see it all again.

Offline PeterW

• Forum Posts:
  • Sutherland Shire
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 03:42:54 PM »
They certainly were Tony...

In the early 80's I used to hang out at the Gunamatta Bay Pavilion in Cronulla every weekend where they had wall to wall classic 70's EMs and a few of those EM shooting games too - what a nostalgic trip that would be to see it all again.
I'm an old Cronulla boy too, although I didn't know that there were pins in the pavillion at Gunamatta Bay!  !!! Although at that point I had moved on to the video games anyway.

I used to play pinnies at the fish & chips shop opposite Cronulla Beach (the shop where Oporto is now) and most of the milk bars where there were two or three machines back in the late '60's and most of the 70's.
Gottlieb Fastdraw - Stern Magic

pinballist

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 06:51:48 PM »
I'm a Cronulla boy through and through :)

I don't know how old you are Peter but do you remember Flashs' in that lane way opposite Cronulla Railway Station?  That place was pretty big on the latest pins during the early 80's too.  Man I can't believe you never knew about the pavillion - it was the place to be - in my mind I can still hear Gary Newman's "Cars" or Blondie's "Heart Of Glass" blasting on the Juke Box at that place while we were hitting the pins!!

Offline PeterW

• Forum Posts:
  • Sutherland Shire
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2009, 08:35:41 PM »
I'm a Cronulla boy through and through :)

I don't know how old you are Peter but do you remember Flashs' in that lane way opposite Cronulla Railway Station?  That place was pretty big on the latest pins during the early 80's too.  Man I can't believe you never knew about the pavillion - it was the place to be - in my mind I can still hear Gary Newman's "Cars" or Blondie's "Heart Of Glass" blasting on the Juke Box at that place while we were hitting the pins!!
Yeah, I can't believe I didn't know about that! I spent a lot of time swimming down at the bay as a kid (when the surf was too big). I was born in 1960 so will be 49 later this year. I went to South Cronulla Public and then Cronulla High (and lived to tell the tale).

I do remember Flashes very well... I used to go in there heaps, although mostly to play the video games. I spent hours in the milkbar opposite the Cronulla railway station which had the very first Donkey Kong in the area and I used to play Space Invaders up at Jolly Rogers (the record store). I also played the old flipperless machines in the snooker hall above the newsagency (long gone). They were those flipperless machines where you scored by getting the balls into various holes - old woodrails I think.

Are you still in the area? I live in Caringbah now.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 08:39:18 PM by PeterW »
Gottlieb Fastdraw - Stern Magic

pinballist

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2009, 09:02:28 PM »
Pete, know all those places you mentioned, I was born in 67 and went to Cronulla Public & Cronulla HS too - my parents owned one of the take-away restaurants on Cronulla Street, we always had a cocktail table video game in there - let me PM you ;)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 09:05:45 PM by Evro »

Offline dj10555

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2009, 09:39:45 PM »
Another couple of collectors from the Shire! I don't live there now but lived in Caringbah for about 15 years. Used to play the games in Flashes at Cronulla on the weekends but didn't know about the ones in Gunnamatta Bay. I used to mainly play the videos at Cronulla and can remember the Space Invader cocktail tables.

After school we used to catch the bus up to Caringbah station and go to Sneds pinball palour in Endeavour arcade. They also used to have the old Bally bingo games there.