Author Topic: Bank A Ball V's Kid Amigo  (Read 5791 times)

mark jackson

• Trade Count: (0)
Bank A Ball V's Kid Amigo
« on: July 25, 2009, 10:56:56 PM »
Evening All, Let's count this as the start of a restoration of a Bank A Ball. Unusually for me, I took lots of 'before' shots, so I'll start by putting up a few. ... some 'dodgy parts' of the machine as I found it... I'm looking for help with parts and ideas to get the job done successfully. It's basically in real sad shape, but I have a repro backglass, and some balls for the 3d backglass animation...but that could be the least of my problems....so here's what this one is actually like.... Mark

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Bank A Ball V's Kid Amigo
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 11:08:31 PM »
Are they home made flipper bats on it?

mark jackson

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 11:10:53 PM »
Here's a few more .... Mark

mark jackson

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 11:19:56 PM »
No they're not home made flippers...In 60's flippers of this kind you have a metal part (showing) which is where the plastic 'flipper bat is attached. I have these cleaned and ready to put back on .... after I work out what the hell I'm gonna do with this playfield. Thanks, Gav, for the tips on removing this clear coat... I'll try a few things and see what's cookin'. I showed a couple of parts I need ...the frame for a pop bumper, the big coil and housing in the head, ....what's the deal with those 'modern' coils for the flippers??? I'm just gonna change them back....and the worst of the cabinet. The other side is quite good, so I'm thinking of doing a 'touch up' restore on the cabinet paint, and try to keep as much of this original paintwork as I can....do they make blue coloured webbed paint yet?? There's a lot to do here...I'm glad it's a 60's Gottlieb Wedgehead..at least you know it's gonna be worth the time, money and effort. Cheers, Mark

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 11:24:09 PM »
Ahh, hadn't seen ones like that before...Wow.  Great project and I'm sure it will look great when you're finished.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 12:29:27 AM »
Well im sorry to say mark Ive looked over them photos and im yet to see a bad part !@#  (Its a bank a ball so its all good)  Looks like a great Project i have spare pop bumper brackets but not the brass plated ones the coil and bracket im sure i have aswell.    If you can take me a photo of the coil and bracket you have ill see what i can find for ya   ^^^

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 12:53:14 AM »
Looks like it will come up smik
pinballaustralia.com

Offline v200juke

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 07:06:43 PM »
Mark This is my favourite pin of all time.Played it to death when I was a kid at the slot car track in Newcastle.(Spurrs hangout, although I did not know him then) I sold mine about 10 years ago and regret it big time.  I have seen your work and know this machine will end up sparkling.All the best, Mark.

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 10:29:13 PM »
Mark,

That looks like one of the better condition classic 1960s Gottlieb's  *%*

I think it will come up sweet - keep the updates coming!

mark jackson

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 11:46:14 PM »
Howdy All, I had a pretty good week in pinball restoration. The best part was that when I was taking things off the playfield, the posts were kind of stuck to the clear coat. When I budged them free I noticed that they 'lifted' the clear coat, and chipped it as well. I guess it was Shellac but it's all off now, (2 distinct layers). It took 3 days of chipping away, but it came off very cleanly in the end.....and except for what's obviously 'wrong' with the touch up, the playfield is in very good condition...When I got the browning Shellac off, the real colours of the playfield came shining through, and I knew for the first time, that I was 'winning' with this machine. I've also managed to clean, polish, and clear coat some brass parts...flipper assembly (under playfield), kicking rubber frame brackets, pop bumper frames, targets and a bit of this and that. And if that wasn't enough, my new repro backglass arrived from the USA. ...like I said, it was a pretty good week in restoration.....Cheers, Mark

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 08:17:15 PM »
Good to hear Mark i havnt had a chance to look for them parts yet hopefully soon  ^^^

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 10:35:59 PM »
Mark,

What did you use to get the Shellac off the playfield?

mark jackson

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 12:46:02 AM »
Tony, I firstly used my nail until I realised that it's like a form of torture...I then used this ...I cut a strip of the plastic that my 'Nicorette' chewing gum comes in. It's the same as how most tablets are packaged... Well, that thickness of plastic, plus with a 'rounded corner' was enough to 'get in under' the layers and make it come away. Some areas went down easy, but it wouldn't be pinball if the whole thing was like that. Mark

mark jackson

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 10:58:57 PM »
Howdy All, some pics ... I hope. Mark

mark jackson

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 11:04:04 PM »
....the pics show how it was when the shellac was half off. There's a before and after of the score motor area. The p/f shot shows how reasonable the faults are, once I get rid of the existing touch up paint....Mark