Author Topic: Stern Dracula restore  (Read 5547 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Stern Dracula restore
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2009, 12:55:03 PM »

Great start !

Those colors are very well matched - Was it "pot luck" or do you have the pantone chart ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
That looks great. Well done. Do you ever get problems with air bubbles using those spray cans? I always seem to get a few bubbles. Not sure if it's the way I'm applying it or not.

No i usually dont have problems with the acrylic paints like these ones. Sometimes ive had spraycans.. especially enamel, spit big bubbles of paint out that i've had to let dry and rub out. actually that happened on this PF with the K&H primer when i did the middle section between the slings  ^.^ . i felt like throwin the whole thing out the garage door at that point!! but walked away and let it dry, came out and and blocked it back with 400 grit and it came up looking fine luckily.. as you will soon see.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2009, 01:01:05 PM »

Great start !

Those colors are very well matched - Was it "pot luck" or do you have the pantone chart ?

pretty much pot luck :lol i wasn't overly worried about the match as i was painting the whole areas and not trying to "blend" the colour in

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2009, 01:11:54 PM »
Ok then… now for the part that was scaring me most about this restore!! This is without doubt the most challenging restore I’ve taken on yet! First thing I had to do was sand off as much of the old paint as I could from this section. I had already scanned this area from a second PF that I bought with this game, that was too far gone to restore. It was my original intention to redo this area as a decal, but after much thought I decided to try my hand at repainting it instead.

After I’d sanded (with 320 grit wet/dry, sanded dry) as much of the crappy enamel paint that some tool had slapped on there, I wiped it over with prepsol and rags, then laid a piece of clear adhesive contact over the whole area for masking, and carefully cut out the area to be painted with a sharp hobby knife.

The 1st pic shows the primer filler coat before being sanded back with 400 grit paper on a rubbing block.

After id blocked it back smooth and wiped it down with Prepsol, I decided to try something new… I came up with the idea of printing the scanned images I’d done earlier, and using these to trace the art details back onto the PF with carbon paper.. thus giving me lines to paint to!!

2nd pic shows the clear contact laid down and cut out for the white sections, and the 3rd pic shows the white done… well I actually missed a couple of small spots of white I discovered later on when doing the black detail lines,  I was able to brush paint these in, so was not a big deal. I used the same technique to all of the colours, one colour/section at a time. Some sections I used normal masking tape but the majority of the masking was done with contact.

Last pic shows the red and some of the orange done... traced on, masked off with contact and sprayed on. Red first, then orange. Each area where the colours meet I carefully and lightly sanded with 800 grit sandpaper to smooth out the joins

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2009, 01:19:12 PM »
More progress pics… 1st pic shows one of the printed and retouched scans im using to trace the art. The last one showing what has been done so far

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2009, 01:23:06 PM »

Impressive work.. This is your first detailed playfield touch up ?

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2009, 01:26:21 PM »
Mate thats coming up a treat!!! Its threads like these that make me drool...

Well Done!

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2009, 01:35:15 PM »
Thanx guys! And yeah its pretty much the first PF i've had to go to this much effort on restoring for sure, i've done a few over the years but nothing like this!! My Lectronamo PF was in just as bad a condition as this, but it was mainly solid colours, so was relatively easy in comparison. especially as i used a few decals on that one which made it easier again.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 01:47:36 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2009, 06:01:12 PM »
Fantastic work Mitch! very impressive ^^^

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2009, 08:50:11 PM »
Ok here it is... the scary part done, #*# except for a couple of tiny spots i missed which i'll take care of tomorrow. Now i can concentrate on the rest of the playfield

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2009, 09:11:24 PM »

WOW !!!

Great results - I'll bet you are VERY pleased with your efforts, Mitch ?

#*#

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2009, 09:14:38 PM »
Awesome job mate - has come up a treat!!

using the clear to make stencils is by far the most successful way ive found to do work. I do all large areas this way. It pretty much negates hand shake trying to draw it on free hand.

Top work - looks dynamite!

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2009, 09:18:06 PM »

The BEST part about seeing this level of work is that machines that have playfield wear can now be saved using methods we are seeing on this thread and Gavin's threads..

I really hate the idea of parting out machines when we have the skills and the knowledge at our fingertips..

Personally, I find these threads the most informative and enjoyable.

^^^

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2009, 09:32:32 PM »
Thanks heaps guys, and yes im very pleased at how this came up. I just want to point out that ALL of the black lines were done freehand (forgot to mention it before in the previous posts), using sharpie pens.. this PF will be mylar covered, NOT Clear Coated so bleeding ink wont be a problem.

Im so glad i chose to try this method of restoring the art rather than applying a decal (would've been much quicker but its so much more rewarding having painted it instead).

Thanks heaps Retropin for all your advice re doing this work in the beginning ^^^  Now i just need to do the lettering on there that is missing.. not sure how i'll do this yet.. thinking of making decals from the original scans, same as i've done on a couple of my other games. any other ideas anyone??
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 09:41:08 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline jyebow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Maitland, NSW
  • GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle,
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2009, 10:36:31 PM »
Fantastic work Mitch. It's hard to believe that's the same Dracula that I saw before you bought it. Awesome.
Well done. I look forward to the updates. ^^^
Cheers Steve
GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle, Data East Lethal Weapon 3