Author Topic: Addams Restore  (Read 5819 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Addams Restore
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2010, 09:16:31 PM »
Great work so far, its all in the prep.

John, you might want to take a closer look at the transformer that came with the game.  There looks to be some interesting wiring modifications between the transformer and the molex plug.  You want to make sure its nice and safe.   ^^^ ^^^

Offline faza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2010, 09:42:01 PM »

John, you might want to take a closer look at the transformer that came with the game.  There looks to be some interesting wiring modifications between the transformer and the molex plug.  You want to make sure its nice and safe.   ^^^ ^^^

Yeah Marty the 9 pin connector has been bypassed at some time i will replace the Molex plug if i can find anywhere in Oz to buy one from , Cant seem to find them on any of the sponsors site.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2010, 09:49:27 PM »

Yeah Marty the 9 pin connector has been bypassed at some time i will replace the Molex plug if i can find anywhere in Oz to buy one from , Cant seem to find them on any of the sponsors site.

Those type of molex connectors are hard to come across locally unfortunately.  I guess its not a high volume item so its understandable.
I can definitely recommend Ed @ GPE (http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/)
He stocks all the 0.093" range (plugs and pins).  For the $15.00 I would strongly urge to buy one of his 0.093 pin removal tools.  Best money I've ever spent on a tool.

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2010, 11:11:27 PM »

Those type of molex connectors are hard to come across locally unfortunately.  I guess its not a high volume item so its understandable.
I can definitely recommend Ed @ GPE (http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/)
He stocks all the 0.093" range (plugs and pins).  For the $15.00 I would strongly urge to buy one of his 0.093 pin removal tools.  Best money I've ever spent on a tool.

I have purchased of Ed before but for such a small order was hoping to buy local.
Googled this place in Ballarat has anyone used them before seem to have quite a good range
http://www.wiltronics.com.au/catalogue/shop.php?cid=529

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2010, 03:14:10 PM »
Another quick update managed to strip all the artwork from the Cabinet and headbox came off a lot easier than i thought an hour for the first side and only 30 minutes for the other side and again 30 minutes for the front.
Stripping the head box didnt take long but as you can see in the pictures it left a black stain which should sand out easy enough.
Tomorrow i hope to start bogging and sanding as well as strengthening the cbinet in a few places .
What type of bog filler do people recommend have a few large areas as well as small surface scratches i was thinking plastibond for the larger areas and just a normal spakfilla for the surface scratches.
I am searching for a good second hand ball shooter cover will be resprayed and decalled so colour not important,i have gritblasted the apron ready for painting but would rather do both together let me know if you have one available.

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2010, 03:17:20 PM »
A few pictures of the apron and ball shooter cover

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2010, 09:59:34 PM »
Faza,

Ask El-timbo what putty/filler he uses. Hes the man when it comes to excellent cabinet jobs.

I have only seen people use spray bog, in a can from super cheap auto and its grey in colour. but i reckon Tim will have a better product.

p.s - what are u going to do with the inside of the cabinet.?  see what tim does with his. it gives the BEST results and looks so much better than a unfinished look.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2010, 10:47:21 PM »
Faza,

Ask El-timbo what putty/filler he uses. Hes the man when it comes to excellent cabinet jobs.

I have only seen people use spray bog, in a can from super cheap auto and its grey in colour. but i reckon Tim will have a better product.

p.s - what are u going to do with the inside of the cabinet.?  see what tim does with his. it gives the BEST results and looks so much better than a unfinished look.  ^^^
Brett

Funny i went over Tims funhouse restoration about an hour ago seems like he uses plastibond for everything will head to bunnings in the morning
As for the inside of the cabinet i will wait and see how it cleans up, may have to purchase some of Ninos famous nifti give it a clean and sand and then decide whether to paint or clear.

Offline el_timbo86

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2010, 11:35:39 PM »
Damn, no mucking around wasting time here John!! Powering through which is great  #*#

In regards to Funhouse, i did in fact use plasti-bond for all minor/major chips and dings. Basically any 2-part epoxy filler should suit cabinet work as you need that chemical reaction to guarantee a solid repair.
3M also sell a product which is almost IDENTICAL to plasti-bond, but goes the next step adding fibreglass 'fibres' to the mix. I used this for all MAJOR body work on T2 (and will in the future for Pinball Tales games). I cant remember where i sourced this from, but i recently saw it at Super Cheap, which is awesome  ^^^

One more tip in regards to cabinet restoration

To ensure any epoxy repair work is going to stand the test of time/tilts/nudges etc, i also drill out (very small sized bit) a series of 'pilot holes' to the damaged area to give the epoxy a bit of bite into the surrounding 'good' timber. If this doesnt make sense, i can draw a diagram.

Good luck with your cabinet, and keep the updates coming, it looks like you picked up a GREAT project. (I'm still on the Addams hunt  ^.^)

Timbo

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2010, 12:19:29 PM »
I use slightly different products than Timbo, but bascially do the same task.

I didn't see the 'repair' done for the cabinet / floor.  What are your plans for that area?  If the whole cabinet is unstable you don't want it moving as the filler of the top of the nails will crack and cause you more grief! (and I hope it wasn't a nasty surprise seeing the repair!)..

If you get stuck with the ball lane apron repair, let me know I've got access to a TIG and should be able to make it right.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 02:00:17 PM by MartyJ »

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2010, 03:14:28 PM »
I use slightly different products than Timbo, but bascially do the same task.

I didn't see the 'repair' done for the cabinet / floor.  What are your plans for that area?  If the whole cabinet is unstable you don't want it moving as the filler of the top of the nails will crack and cause you more grief! (and I hope it wasn't a nasty surprise seeing the repair!)..

If you get stuck with the ball lane apron repair, let me know I've got access to a TIG and should be able to make it right.

Thanks Marty will keep that in mind not sure if it would be too thin to weld ?
Started on repairing cabinet most off the cabinet is sound as it looks like liquid nails was applied before the nails were driven in , i have punched the nails in further to allow for sanding putty etc.
One area that had dropped which seems quite common is the area directly under the transformer my dilema was how to get some wood glue in behind the internal triangular support , my solution was to drill three holes just through the cabinet wall and inject wood glue with a syringe then clamp into position and drive three wood screws into the holes pictures below.

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2010, 03:21:14 PM »
After cleaning with nifti i started  sanding the cab floor i wanted to see how good i could get it before i decide whether to paint it or laquer, i think it came up pretty good, will have a second go at it on the weekend.
Must admit having one of those small black and decker mouse sanders came in so handy for the edges .

Offline bigdaddy

• Forum Posts:
  • WTB: Phantom of the Opera
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2010, 05:17:48 PM »
Looking real nice.  @@* Keep thos pic's coming
WTB - Phantom of the Opera

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2010, 08:44:39 PM »
Faza, how long did it take u to get the cabinet to look like that with sanding ?

what would you say would be the total time u think it will take you/have taken you to finish the sanding on the total inside of the cabinet . ?

I think it would be good to let other members know what sort of time they can also invest if they want to do the inside sanding work which is usually overlooked. thanks in advance  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2010, 08:50:37 PM »

Great work thus far, Faza - Now don't get any dust on the Magic  %.%