Author Topic: el_timbo's Terminator 2 Restoration...  (Read 5753 times)

Offline el_timbo86

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
el_timbo's Terminator 2 Restoration...
« on: June 14, 2010, 07:09:56 PM »
Hey Guys,

Next on the hit list is Williams Terminator 2. Great game, and one i spent a MOUND of money on whenever i could find one on site.

I purchased this game 'as-is' from Oscar at a great price - and got straight to work on it.

The game once i got it home and unwrapped...

Another angle...

The game was complete, but in dire need of some TLC. The cabinet will need a new floor, and will need to be re-squared. At some stage, the bottom has fallen out, and has been 'fixed' with some right angle brackets bolted through the floor and sides, which is not ideal.
The side art is average at best, and that sweet fluro red/pink colour has completely faded away, but this will be addressed at a later date.

Looking at the playfield, i was relieved to see only one broken plastic. The playfield had some wear, and some terrible repair jobs (nail polish reds, texta etc) but really nothing like what i encountered on Funhouse.

Here are the major wear spots that will all be fixed up!

Auto Fire Insert and surround...

Not too sure what they were going for here...

Pop Bumper area...

Another...

Biggest T2 eyes i've ever seen...Perhaps he is suprised?! Will need new decals...

So i looked over the machine, boards and Power with a cautious eye, and made sure everything was wired as intended (no hacks or mods). I needed to re jumper the socket at the transformer for 240v (thanks for the reference MartyJ). Then i ran a new Australian Standard Power lead as a precaution.
I also noticed that at some stage there had been a dodgy hack on the extra power socket just inside the cabinet on the Filter box. It had been a problem at some stage for someone as there was a black burn around its edge. I desoldered this and removed it completely. When i did, there was a small brass tab that fell out in my hand, which was probably creating a short.

Anyway, with this removed, and everything triple checked - i fired her up...

The volume was up loud and when i hit that start button and Arnold cracked out 'Judgment Day...' My Brother and Father ran into the workshop with excitment...

I was quickly pushed aside...

Suprisingly, all solenoids checked out (but in obvious need of a clean), along with all switches. Gun motor was good, and i could get a VERY poor game out of it.
Of course, this game has the usual GI problems due namely to burnt connectors, but overall the game is a great project.

The game is now out of the cabinet and on the rotisserie...

Ready for the teardown...

So far i've put a little over 8 hours into the project...everything is bagged, photographed and logged on a worksheet.

Topside basically gone...

Front on...with the two layers (in areas) of mylar removed...

So this is where i'm up to, and I'm really enjoying working on this one. This game poses a few new challenges for me in terms of how i will need to go about restoring it. Anyway, hope you enjoy following the process on this one, and hopefully this will move a bit quicker than Funhouse did. 

el_timbo

Offline elkor-alish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
Re: el_timbo's Terminator 2 Restoration...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 07:21:33 PM »
Looks like you have a bit of work ahead of you.
I love reading about the resto's.
I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 07:53:53 PM by elkor-alish »
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 07:42:04 PM »
I'll be watching this very closely Timbo.

You've got a great project to showcase your talents on there.  Keep the updates coming!

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 07:57:31 PM »
Looking forward to this after funhouse the bench is set pretty high @@*

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 09:44:52 PM »
Looking forward to this restore ive been seriously thinking about adding this title to my collection

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 09:58:18 PM »

I've pulled up a comfy chair and my slippers are on - Looking forward to this restore !

A good base to test your skills - I particularly take an interest on how you will tackle the playfield wear.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 10:18:33 PM »
Good Game - gotta love Arnie  *)*

Will watch this one for inspiriation  ^^^
Lot of playfield work to be attended to.

Also, a member here named Spurr once suggested that the back piece of artwork on that game is a little 'corny' and was thinking about getting a more updated / modern image created for that spot in his game( the blue are with Arnie and the dude on it ) - something to think about if U were going to modify the game in any way.
DW Drums rule !

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 08:16:02 AM »
Great stuff Tim, looking forward to seeing this one come together (and to a couple of games when it's done, love that machine!!)
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 10:18:46 AM »
Look forward to seeing your progress, you have set the bar high with your funhouse project.  *%*
T2 is a good fun game, good to see the pinball bug has bit you hard, already on your second pin under a year  *)*

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 10:32:33 AM »
Great game and look like you got yourself a bit of work to do.

If you need any scans of the playfield let me no as have a nos playfield that i can use for scans.One day will get around to swapping it,just happy that it finely working.
Good Game - gotta love Arnie  *)*

Will watch this one for inspiriation  ^^^
Lot of playfield work to be attended to.

Also, a member here named Spurr once suggested that the back piece of artwork on that game is a little 'corny' and was thinking about getting a more updated / modern image created for that spot in his game( the blue are with Arnie and the dude on it ) - something to think about if U were going to modify the game in any way.

Great idea
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline el_timbo86

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 06:23:34 PM »
Thanks guys,

I'm hoping i can take what i learnt from Funhouse and apply it more effectively on Terminator.

I agree that the rear decal is pretty bland. Reading about this game shows just how little reference art Doug Watson had to work with when putting together the art package for the game; all things considered, he did a DAMN good job of it. Having seen the movie a MILLION times, i wouldnt mind developing some back panel art that includes a little more of the movie, rather than just Arnie and Robert faces...

Keep you posted,

el_timbo

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 10:29:16 PM »
I agree that the rear decal is pretty bland. Reading about this game shows just how little reference art Doug Watson had to work with when putting together the art package for the game; all things considered, he did a DAMN good job of it. Having seen the movie a MILLION times, i wouldnt mind developing some back panel art that includes a little more of the movie, rather than just Arnie and Robert faces...

I had this started for Spurr ages ago - never took it anywhere - not sure if you would even like it......thought I would throw it up here as one idea or at least a starting point.
I know it aint exactly images from T2 but it is just something I was thinking of , along with Spurr....on the fly.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 10:31:40 PM by Wotto »
DW Drums rule !

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 11:04:03 PM »
iF U CAN MAKE THAT PLAYFIELD LOOK AS GOOD AS YOU DID ON YOUR LAST RESTO, I THINK YOU WILL HAVE HALF OF THE PINBALL COMMUNITY KNOCKING ON YOUR DOOR WITH OFFERS OF CASH AND SOME PLAYFIELDS THAT NEED HELP IN HAND !  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

well done, without even watching the resto, i reckon it is a GIVEN that you will make this machine bloody excellent. Love ya work  Your last pinball certainly has raised the bar alot for others to try n keep up. ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 12:45:54 PM »
Excellent choice of a game to restore. I've done a couple, sold the first one and thought I would be OK. Ended up missing it and buying another.

I'll enjoy watching!

Offline el_timbo86

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 08:06:42 PM »
Thanks for the comments gents,

Playfield is completely stripped top/bottom side. I will be working hard tonight to get any playfield imperfections/chips/wear filled etc so i can put down my first clear in the next couple of days. I would like to get the playfield rework done first as this can cure while i rebuild/clean everything and get that cabinet looking like new again. This is what held me up the most first time round, planning this time has definetely sped things up!

Wotto, thanks for the ideas - i've just been saving a mound of Terminator related screens/images from google etc. Hopefully i can use them and come up with something usable!

Have a good weekend guys

el_timbo