Author Topic: My Old Man  (Read 267 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
My Old Man
« on: July 19, 2010, 09:06:58 PM »
Bloody TOP BLOKE!!!!

My old man is an electronics engineer from the valve days and saw all the changes through solid state and beyond till his early retirement a few years ago.
Nowadays, in his workshop he restores old valve radios, making his own capacitors etc.. he also builds clock movements from sheet brass etc.

A while back on AP, i posted regarding my SPACE GUN game.. the motor on this had siezed up as the self centering bronze bearings had shagged themselves. The whole project was put on hold once this occurred.
Well, me old man was here on holiday recently and apart from helping me get the juke box running OK AND the RALLY pinball he took on the task of the motor ( kinda knew he wouldnt be able to resist it!).
Home he went with the motor in his suitcase, which upset me mum as it meant she could take less back - LOL.
Today, my motor arrived in the post all working and reconditioned.. the bracket that holds it in place was sent seperately to save on postage costs, so i cant fit it just yet...

... but here it is, all spinning freely and recon'd... cant wait to install it...

... Good on ya Dad!!!

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: My Old Man
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 09:14:32 PM »
You were telling me how good he was when i visited.  What a champ ive always just binned motors like that figured they couldnt be fixed how wrong i was.

Did you say he makes his own capacitors???????  WTF

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 09:42:23 PM »

Great to hear these stories. Hopefully, these skills get passed on from generation to generation.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 09:06:01 AM »
Fantastic work  ^^^ Wish I had skills like him
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Replicas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • North West England
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 10:23:20 AM »
Respect,
At least you know this repaired motor will out last you. Great work, and even better with people like your Dad it keep another machine from being parted out.
Darren.