Author Topic: Stern Thincoat - Dimples & Craters  (Read 32668 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Stern Thincoat - Dimples & Craters
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2015, 12:08:40 PM »
I've had two NIB Sterns now.

In regards to the dimples, I think it depends on the game and whether there are lots of air balls / toys spitting balls out.

On my Metallica, there is factory mylar down in these areas and to be honest I've not found any dimples.  However the overall clear is fairly thin.  I would like to see another 2 - 3 coats on at the factory, but as Pete pointed out this is time and money.

In comparison to other playfields, I've had Bally/Williams games with very similar wafer thin clear (but this is after 20yrs use) and others which is sufficient.  I guess back then came down to the manufacturer of the playfield.

I don't know whether Stern has there playfields clearcoated by hand or robot.

The clear coat shrinks slightly when curing and really should be left for 60 days or so before a ball even hits it.  Obviously this is not possible with production machines.

In my opinion, if you run your finger over the playfield, you should not be able to feel the slight impressions / raising where screened artwork is.  The clear should cover and absorb over this.  Same goes that you should not be able to feel where the insert is.

If I were purchasing a second spare and having HRP do the clear, I'd be upgrading with a ceramic 2k clear and you'd be hard pressed to get any better than that.