Author Topic: MARATHON BACKGLASS ATTEMPT  (Read 359 times)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
MARATHON BACKGLASS ATTEMPT
« on: March 23, 2009, 06:58:34 PM »
Hi guys
             Ive had this 1955 Gottlieb Marathon pinball sitting around for a while now but couldnt get motivated to rebuild it as it was missing the backglass.  Ive tracked down a guy who owns one and he is going to send me some good photos of the backglass with the hope of reproducing one to fill the hole.  Just as a test ive edited the only photo of one i could find on the internet and printed it to size using normal paper and the fast low ink print .
   Looks better than not having one so with a better photo i should be able to get it to look better.

What do you think so far?

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Re: MARATHON BACKGLASS ATTEMPT
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 07:16:22 PM »
Daniel,

I think that is bloody awesome! Just checked out the email you sent - well done (again) champ!  ^^^

Just a hint with the guy taking the pix in Sydney - because the backglass is not at 90 degrees to the game (if you look it actually tilts forward) ask him to take this into account.

I had the same issues with a backglass from a 58 Gottlieb that I'm having reproduced and because of what was mentioned above after my daughter stitched it all back together in Paintshop it was slighty wider on the top than the bottom edge

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 07:17:48 PM »
Actually - you have saved a real rare pin also...and all thanks to you she has been saved.  *%*

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 07:19:24 PM »
do it in photopaper and I would think it fine
 ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 07:23:22 PM »

That's the spirit ! Save another game.

Good Work Daniel
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 07:24:18 PM »
Surprisingly good result - with a better photo and a better print quality, this could come out very well.

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 07:39:52 PM »
Thanks for the photo taking tip tony ill pass it on im sure we will need a few attempts before i get a deccent photo.   And speaking of saving the game the machine im getting the photos of had been sitting in the garage for the last 10 years. Since my offer to help him fix it he has now moved it upstairs and he will now get it going.   He has owned it since 1981 which is as long as ive been alive so im glad he is keeping it and it looks in really good condition aswell.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 10:00:17 AM »
Very interesting idea!  ^^^ Just one question.. what would you do about any light up lettering on ther rear side of the glass using this technique.. ie that is normally accomplished when the silver mask is screened onto the original glass??

My guess is you would need to scan/photograph the rear side of the glass as well so that an overlay/decal could be printed and stuck over the rear side of the glass after the main art has been applied. Just my thoughts..

Cant wait to see how this turns out!!

cheers... Mitch

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 03:42:39 PM »
I have the print out between two pieces of perspex im going to trace where the silver mask should be then mask it off and spray the perspex so light doesnt shine through. was also thinking of painting the numbers for the match so hopefully it show through the printout