Author Topic: Pics of my Backglass Jig  (Read 369 times)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Pics of my Backglass Jig
« on: June 02, 2013, 01:05:22 PM »
Hi guys just thought i'd share a few pics of my latest toy for the workshop that i just built.. a backglass jig  :D

This is an idea i had been thinking of for quite some time now, and since i've been doing a few backglass restores lately i thought it was about time to put this idea thats been in my head into practice! I think this is going to make doing work on backglasses much easier and quicker, since i can lock the jig into any position i need to, in order to see what i'm doing. I'll be able to spin the glass over to check my work without fear of breaking anything!!

It is essentially just a smaller version of a playfield rotisserie that most of you would be familiar with. Once again i constructed it from steel.. same as i did for the pf jig i posted pics of a few months ago. Again it was built mostly from stuff i had laying around, the only things i had to buy were that MDF i used for the bottom, a few bolts, and the angle brackets i used to stiffen the upright posts and keep it stable.

It can hold all the different size BGs, i'll make different size MDF frames to hold the smaller ones as i have done in these pics for the Outer Space glass i'm doing at the moment for Andy (AP member greenechidna). The steel frame is lined with adhesive felt so it wont harm the bigger BGs.

The jig will be clamped onto one of my trolleys when in use (as can be seen in the last pic) so i can move it around the workshop as needed.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Pics of my Backglass Jig
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 02:05:35 PM »

Clever idea!  ^^^
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 04:37:52 PM »
Nice Mitch
                 Nothing worse than that feeling when your constantly flipping a Backglass knowing all it takes is one bump and its history

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 07:00:23 PM »
I have a similar thing which my wife seems to have comandered except it has a lightbox that the glass sits on

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 12:20:41 AM »
I have a similar thing which my wife seems to have comandered except it has a lightbox that the glass sits on

A lighting setup is on the 'to do' list Gav  *%*
But for now i'm using a adjustable desk lamp that sits underneath, which does the job ok for now.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 10:09:57 AM »

Very clever idea !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline wiredoug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Werribee Vic
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 09:19:23 PM »
great gadget ...all i need now is actual talent to apply paint :)

Offline big dog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Grafton
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 12:01:44 AM »
great gadget ...all i need now is actual talent to apply paint :)
my skill level too!!!!  handy jig though. Mitch  l'll send you a back glass can you show me how it works. %.%