Author Topic: Gottlieb Surf Champ Restoration  (Read 10587 times)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: Gottlieb Surf Champ Restoration
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2014, 09:17:50 PM »
OUCH... Not good!!

I hardly know what to say  !@# Did this stuff have a brand name Nino, like it wasn't 3M or something was it??
The stuff i use is 3M brand material and i've never had anything like THAT happen.

Sorry to see it didnt work out for you Nino, i feel kinda guilty now seeing as you mentioned in one of my resto threads you were going to give mylar a try !@)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2014, 09:46:43 PM »
OUCH... Not good!!

I hardly know what to say  !@# Did this stuff have a brand name Nino, like it wasn't 3M or something was it??
The stuff i use is 3M brand material and i've never had anything like THAT happen.

Sorry to see it didnt work out for you Nino, i feel kinda guilty now seeing as you mentioned in one of my resto threads you were going to give mylar a try !@)

Don't worry Mitch, it was not 3M. It was from the USA. Won't be their fault either. It is just inferior quality and frustrated the hell out of me. I have 4 full size sheets that I will use for patch up jobs rather then full playfield. I might give it ago again some day - but I will use the 3M stuff.

Once I have the correct setup for Clearcoating playfields, I'll probably just go down that path permanently. But for those that wish to use mylar, use ONLY the 3M brand that Mitch speaks of. don't take the risk with the unbranded stuff like I did !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2014, 09:51:40 PM »
Disappointing to see mate, glad it was easy to remove without damage. I've only used the 3M Mylar, which is very good quality and have never had an issue with.

The only disturbing thing I found in the Mylar fiasco was that you wear crocks.  %.%
Funny stuff  :lol

Offline oldskool1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2014, 10:30:04 PM »
From tragedy, triumph will prevail!
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2014, 12:22:52 AM »
The only disturbing thing I found in the Mylar fiasco was that you wear crocks.  %.%

Yup, sorry, I have to admit as well I am a crock wearer in summer.  Sometimes I have to remember to crop them out of images I take before I post on the forum.  I have a feeling cropping it wasn't Nino's priority for this story  %$%

Wow Nino, as I scrolled through this update my gut sank.  It can be such a disheartening moment.  Thank goodness the stuff came off.  I am sure if the paint was removed when you took off the mylar I would have heard you screaming up here in Sydney.  Well, at least it should hopefully work out well from this point forward.  Now let's just hope there's no dodgy clear!!

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2014, 09:35:45 AM »

Yup, sorry, I have to admit as well I am a crock wearer in summer.  Sometimes I have to remember to crop them out of images I take before I post on the forum.  I have a feeling cropping it wasn't Nino's priority for this story  %$%

Wow Nino, as I scrolled through this update my gut sank.  It can be such a disheartening moment.  Thank goodness the stuff came off.  I am sure if the paint was removed when you took off the mylar I would have heard you screaming up here in Sydney.  Well, at least it should hopefully work out well from this point forward.  Now let's just hope there's no dodgy clear!!

None of my touch up work lifted. Either the touch ups were good, or the mylar had no adhesion. Probably a bit of both.

The crocks are a different story. I've worn them out completely. They have no tread left on the bottom, so they become Ice Skates in the wet. But they are comfortable. I need to buy a new pair.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2014, 09:03:14 PM »

So what appeared to be a massive of time lost to install the mylar, I've moved on and had the first clear applied and block sand to level. It is simply amazing ! Some of my touch ups around the inserts were sanded down so I re painted them with Gav's insert templates and my airbrush. The playfield has been returned to my clearcoat guy for the last couple of coats before curing - which will take 2-3 weeks. I can't wait to see the results ! I'm also having the Genire cleared at some stage and I'll cover that on it's own resto thread.

^^^

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2014, 02:08:30 PM »
Out of curiosity, is there a way to "darken" the wood (underneath the flipper areas, in their resting position) to match the surrounding wood?

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2014, 05:08:28 PM »
Out of curiosity, is there a way to "darken" the wood (underneath the flipper areas, in their resting position) to match the surrounding wood?

Yes there is. A lot of careful sanding and then some touch up work on any paint affected areas. In this example, I'm not going "all out" as we have changed scope to clearcoat the playfield, so I needed to keep it affordable. The shooter lanes on these are always a problem as they are milled through 2 or more layers of ply. If any dirt or wax is lodged in the wood-fibers, then it is incredibly difficult to remove without vigorous sanding.

So it can be done, and it just takes more effort.

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2014, 07:33:06 PM »
Tan lines suit the theme I reckon.  #@#

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2014, 08:06:05 PM »
Ha ha agreed.
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2014, 08:58:52 PM »

"Tan lines" lol

I agree, it suits the theme.
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline Sinbad79

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2014, 03:09:38 PM »

Yes there is. A lot of careful sanding and then some touch up work on any paint affected areas. In this example, I'm not going "all out" as we have changed scope to clearcoat the playfield, so I needed to keep it affordable. The shooter lanes on these are always a problem as they are milled through 2 or more layers of ply. If any dirt or wax is lodged in the wood-fibers, then it is incredibly difficult to remove without vigorous sanding.

Some great work here Nino, great to see these machines being restored to former glory but more than that, giving them a new lease on life so to speak.
A quick question, i notice you use an airbrush to fix some of the playfield artwork and was wondering, what kind of paint are you using? I understand you might want to keep some things close to your chest, but any info you can provide would be appreciated and help with my Sinbad restoration.

I assume you are using some type of acrylic paint, perhaps automotive or hobby? Any tips on how you thin it down for the gun?
Any info you could provide is much appreciated.

Best regards

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2014, 09:35:11 PM »

Some great work here Nino, great to see these machines being restored to former glory but more than that, giving them a new lease on life so to speak.
A quick question, i notice you use an airbrush to fix some of the playfield artwork and was wondering, what kind of paint are you using? I understand you might want to keep some things close to your chest, but any info you can provide would be appreciated and help with my Sinbad restoration.

I assume you are using some type of acrylic paint, perhaps automotive or hobby? Any tips on how you thin it down for the gun?
Any info you could provide is much appreciated.

Best regards

%)% to AP !

I use Jo Sonja acrylics and I use Jo Sonja Flow Medium. you can buy online from art shops !

Offline Sinbad79

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2014, 01:09:18 AM »
Champion, thankyou!