Author Topic: First mass produced LCD backglass machine "New Canasta"  (Read 538 times)

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
First mass produced LCD backglass machine "New Canasta"
« on: December 04, 2011, 01:17:41 PM »
Here is a new game from Spanish manufacturer MarsaPlay.
Although not utilised very well, it is the first mass produced LCD used in backglass
Gameplay looks to be lacking a little, but the interesting thing is the whole playfield is perspex and all rollovers are hall effect switches, almost eliminating PF wear.
Great use of LEDs here with areas using colour changing LEDs also.
Very basic game almost maintenance free, would be great for site operators, added plus they can put advertising on the LCD in attract mode.  Just a shame MarsaPlay didn't really do anything with the LCD during the actual game.

http://www.pinballnews.com/games/newcanasta/index.html

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Thanks for the link Matt, I recall when these were announced, wasn't sure if they actually get them done. Nug and I actually played with the idea of hall effects sensors for CI and were going to try them in NPC002 (although that's probably not gonna be for a fair while now with out other schedules).
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Interesting to see the finished product.

Great use of sensors.

Gameplay aside I have quite a few reservations though. In my experience with many many different commercial products, I have found that ANYTHING that relies on a PC to run it will be unreliable and nothing but trouble - especially in a 'commercial, sited' type operation. Look at Pinball 2000 as one example and ANY of the latest round of MP3 jukeboxes in most pubs these days (they are a nightmare to keep going).

Secondly the 'maze' of under-playfield PCBs, connectors (yes, the unreliable PC type) and surface mounted parts is going to write this machine off in a very short time - again, IMO.

It certainly is a start - but not a direction that is going to have any lasting benefit IMO. Stern has nothing to worry about if they keep playing this way.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Aaaah yes.. have to agree with Mike completely... try fixing this one up yourselves.. and yes, the more complicated you make a running system.. the more there is to go wrong which it invariably does.
I do however REALLY like the look of the PF... the Europeans have always played around with the concept of clear resin PF,s and print underneath... RALLY did it back in the 60's as did the French manufacturer ALBEN.
There is a bit of an issue here too though and that is that when you place acrylic over something that covers the whole surface it is prone to sweating.... any moisture finds its way between the sheets and itll look bloody awful on that PF... i hope its glued down over the entire surface... a fan in the cabinet may not have been a bad idea.. youll need good airflow with this one..

LEDs look great on this... but the LCD screen looks bloody odd to me.. almost like an add on rather than its main concept.

Interesting stuff though and a bold move forward...... hall effect sensors are cool till they go wrong of course.

..One other thing..... Basketball??? Primarily an American game not what id tag Spain to... would have been better with a Pamplona Bull Run machine

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Pamplona Bull Run machine

@@* great idea for a spanish made game
you could play as the bull and hit all the running people drop targets. Maybe bring back a couple of swinging targets and use a vari target to show a full strength crowd charge
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 03:07:04 PM by ktm450 »

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Actually, my understanding is that basketball would suit the Spanish market.

Their men's side are the reigning European champions and currently ranked second in the world to the USA, while the women's side is currently ranked fifth in the world.

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
being a retired wireman,i love the spiral wrap.nice and neat.
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
the cab looks shithouse, the playfield looks awesome, looks like a simple game which sort of sucks but at the same time leaves it looking clean so you can admire the cool bits, its a shame they made the cab so shit i like the chrome and hate the red, love the stainless shooter lane, love the look of the illunination and its a shame the screen is so small, if the cab had a better design this would make a great concept machine to show off what they can do. really love the cleanness of the playfield

Offline 63wizz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
Its good to see someone having a go at making pinball machines, and a simple to play game may just do very well at some venues and get some young ones interested again.