Author Topic: Project Bally machine wanted - To Re-theme  (Read 204 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Project Bally machine wanted - To Re-theme
« on: August 10, 2011, 12:02:40 PM »
I want to slowly work on a project machine with a bit of difference and though I might be a little ambitious, I want to try.

The project is - I want a Bally mid to late 80's SS machine (not a DMD) that has all the boards, mechanicals etc, works and is playable, standard width but deeper at the back (between the playfield and glass) as I want to allow for a ramp into the game play. It would be good if the cabinet is solid (but can be scratched, faded - just not falling apart) and has the lock down bar etc but the playfield can be worn to wood as I want to create my own theme replacing the playfield in the machine.

I want the machine to be playable (but not high quality) so I can map out the lights, sensors, mechanicals, wiring etc so then I can work with the original game rules to create my own custom pinball - a bit of a life goal.

So if anyone has a half decent machine and you won't get upset if I change the theme (playfield / backglass) let me know with what machineyou have on offer so I can get an idea of the game features. As for price around the $700-$800 max depending on condition, and that it works as I do not want spend money to fix it just to get it to the working stage to then strip and rebuild into it's new life.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Jady
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline chris288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Project Bally machine wanted - To Re-theme
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 07:36:54 PM »
Bit of an ambitious project, but hey great idea all the same. Will certainly look forward to seeing it come together.

Pinballs are certainly cheaper at the moment, but getting hold of a "good runner" even a beat up one in that price range might be hard.
You could always increase the budget to maybe $1200 and then sell off the playfield and the backglass for maybe $200 each and that will bring you back to your original price range.

What sort of theme are you thinking??

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 03:07:24 PM »
With the price range I can go up to the $1000 mark and then like you said on sell the backglass / translite and even the playfield if in decent condition but the displays and boards and cabinets need to be all working and in decent condition and the machine at least playable but doesn't have to be perfect.

As for theme, am wanting to do a beach culture theme including surfing, some sidewalk surfing (skateboarding) influence but more modern than 1976 Surf Champ, with a couple of ramps, spinner, drop targets and a few unique ideas that I have in the burner.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 03:27:44 PM »

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 01:54:04 AM »
maybe try Tony @ pinballshed ?, i asked him if he had a cheap crapper that was working so i could use for my cafe i could change to suit my shop with out feeling to bad about ruining a awesome pinball. he is pretty accommodating with those sorts of things from my experience, i think he gets them in various condition and my machine cost was well with in the budget you posted above, he might be worth talking to see if he has something there or not, cheers www.pinballshed.com.au

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 06:47:03 AM »
Thanks for that, and did do that already as have purchased 2 machines off him in the past. Just thought to list here to have more eyes watching out for me.

for pinball t-shirts