Author Topic: Drop-A-Card - Gottlieb 1971 to restore......eventually ;-)  (Read 938 times)

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
No probs Mark, it's all good  ^^^

Offline Romano

• Forum Posts:
  • Whyalla; South Australia
Fuses Marty, FUSES!

2 of the EM games in my collection I picked up from people as 'not working' and it was a fuse. Given that the thing hasnt seen a game in 10 years, I would say a really good clean of the contacts and coil-sleeves will work wonders. The thing with EM games is they need to be kept 'warm', i.e. they need to be on reasonably frequently and played, to keep things working.

Sandro.

Marty Machine

Thanx for the tips Sandro, i'll probably start digging inside it maybe this Sunday, and even have a crack at the playfield, removing contact etc.......s.l.o.w.l.y......  #@#

Offline patric67

• Forum Posts:
Gottlieb used pure white. It has just yellowed over time. You can see this in those hidden areas on the cabinet that haven't seen any light...like under the side rails.  It's a personal choice. Paint it white and let it yellow naturally overtime, rather than fake it.

"Gottlieb White" - It is closer to an "off white" - semi gloss.

Hi Nino,

Just chasing this up, do you (or anyone) have a colour code or name for an approximate "gottlieb white".
I figure someone has done this before and has probably found a very close shade of white at bunnings known as "........." ??

Anyone ??
MM.

Marty Machine

That's initially what i thought, because the white behind the legs is practically SNOW-WHITE....

I wasn't sure if that was gonna be too bright (too loud) to do it Snow-White again, or aim for the slight creamy/beige-white??
Hmmm.

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Marty,

They look fantastic when painted from scratch again.....massive job but well worth it.

It's up to you what shade of white you apply - everybody is different. The last cab I did (Gottlieb Thoro-Bred from 1965) was just off white but compare it to the Happy Clown from 1964 on the left - these games were the same colour once  *%*

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
Here's my DAC (full re-paint) done in an off-white

Marty Machine

Gee, 2 extremes, a WHITE cab versus a CREAMY cab  %$%

I thought that i might use the WHITE in my backglass as the reference white, and match to that, so if the backglass is slightly 'off' then it wont look out of place like it would on a snow-white cab (making the backglass look old in that case)..

I doubt i'll go as far as dribbling the hairline paint streaks on the cab, i'll stick with a basic clean cab  %$%

Thanx guys.
MM.

Offline jyebow

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland, NSW
  • GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle,

I doubt i'll go as far as dribbling the hairline paint streaks on the cab, i'll stick with a basic clean cab  %$%

Thanx guys.
MM.
If you're going for originality, I'd go with the webbing ( streaks) as thats the way they were from the factory.
IMHO.
cheers Steve.
GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle, Data East Lethal Weapon 3

Marty Machine

Hmmm, webbing is silly heheheheheh  ^.^ <.>

Offline patric67

• Forum Posts:

If you're going for originality, I'd go with the webbing ( streaks) as thats the way they were from the factory.
IMHO.
cheers Steve.
[/quote]

Agree with that. It doesn't have to be excessive. Also consider what stencil method to use: tape down (crisp edge) or not (slightly soft edge). The latter is closest to the original method used.